News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Electric-Car Perks Put Norway in a Pinch

Started by cpzilliacus, September 19, 2015, 04:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Wall Street Journal: Electric-Car Perks Put Norway in a Pinch - Rich subsidies for Nissan and Tesla vehicles are straining the finances of a Norwegian tunnel

QuoteFINNØY, Norway–When Arne Nordbø drove his electric car under the toll gantry and into the mouth of a tunnel leading to this small Norwegian island on a recent Monday, he couldn't repress a chuckle.

Quote"They've just lost another $20,"  said the Finnøy resident and occasional stand-up comedian.

QuoteOn the losing side of Mr. Nordbø's commute are local municipalities, including Finnøy, which went into debt to dig the $70 million tunnel but charge no fee on electric cars because of national policies aimed at curbing carbon emissions.

QuoteThe incentive helped convince many islanders to shift to electric cars. The vehicles now account for about a quarter of tunnel traffic, and allow owners to dodge one of the heaviest toll burdens in the country.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mgk920

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 19, 2015, 04:33:25 PM
Wall Street Journal: Electric-Car Perks Put Norway in a Pinch - Rich subsidies for Nissan and Tesla vehicles are straining the finances of a Norwegian tunnel

QuoteFINNØY, Norway–When Arne Nordbø drove his electric car under the toll gantry and into the mouth of a tunnel leading to this small Norwegian island on a recent Monday, he couldn't repress a chuckle.

Quote"They've just lost another $20,"  said the Finnøy resident and occasional stand-up comedian.

QuoteOn the losing side of Mr. Nordbø's commute are local municipalities, including Finnøy, which went into debt to dig the $70 million tunnel but charge no fee on electric cars because of national policies aimed at curbing carbon emissions.

QuoteThe incentive helped convince many islanders to shift to electric cars. The vehicles now account for about a quarter of tunnel traffic, and allow owners to dodge one of the heaviest toll burdens in the country.

Where do they get the energy to recharge these vehicles and how much 'carbon' do those sources emit?

:hmmm:

Mike

noelbotevera

Not sure if this should be in Off-Topic.

OT, ouch. The problem with tech advancing too fast is that it doesn't give people a chance to have competition. It should at least be fair.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jakeroot

Quote from: mgk920 on September 20, 2015, 02:01:41 PM
Where do they get the energy to recharge these vehicles and how much 'carbon' do those sources emit?

According to Google, 99% of energy production in Norway is hydroelectric. So not very much.

On the tunnel itself, they need to find an alternative funding method. You can't whack the residents for buying electric. Keep the toll but maybe increase a tax somewhere, just temporarily? I'm no politician...I don't know how this shit works.

AlexandriaVA

Seems to be a similar conundrum to the effect of more fuel-efficient cars or hybrid/electric cars not paying as much gas tax per mile driven than an older clunker.

vdeane

What if they discounted to toll for electric cars instead of having no toll?  That would not be contrary to encouraging electric cars, but they wouldn't be getting a free ride, either.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Quote from: vdeane on September 20, 2015, 07:40:21 PM
What if they discounted to toll for electric cars instead of having no toll?  That would not be contrary to encouraging electric cars, but they wouldn't be getting a free ride, either.

They're cars, they're on the road, they use the tunnel, and they cause the same amount of damage to the road.  IMHO, the toll should be the same.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jakeroot

Quote from: Brandon on September 20, 2015, 11:52:41 PM

They're cars, they're on the road, they use the tunnel, and they cause the same amount of damage to the road.  IMHO, the toll should be the same.

It's called an incentive. The government wants people to buy electric. Charging the same as a petrol/diesel vehicle would defeat the whole point.

SteveG1988

Quote from: jakeroot on September 21, 2015, 12:00:03 AM

It's called an incentive. The government wants people to buy electric. Charging the same as a petrol/diesel vehicle would defeat the whole point.

They cause less wear and tear on the tunnel, no emissions means less work for the fans, less cleaning of the walls, etc.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Brandon

Then the tax structure should be set up to do so.  As for tolls, sorry, but they take up the same space.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SteveG1988

Quote from: Brandon on September 21, 2015, 06:53:28 AM

Then the tax structure should be set up to do so.  As for tolls, sorry, but they take up the same space.

This does raise a question. How is the road funding structure in other countries set up, is there a similar rule of tax funded roads being toll free, or can it be split?
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.