News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Speed Limit increasing to 60 over next few days over the entirety of I-664 and two small segments of I-64 in the Hampton Roads Area...

http://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom/hampton_roads/2012/speed_limit_to_increase56714.asp

Mapmikey

1995hoo

:banghead:  Dr. Gridlock's column today includes a letter from a reader who complains that the 495 Express Lanes (formerly the "HOT Lanes") represent double-charging due to tolls being imposed "on roads we've already paid for with tax dollars."

I think I will write a letter to Dr. Gridlock later today or tomorrow responding. I find arguments like this one to be laughable because they represent such a fundamental misunderstanding of the project. I mean, look, it seems to me that if you have four general-purpose lanes in each direction that anyone can use at any time subject only to HAZMAT and "no commercial vehicles in left lane" restrictions, and then you rebuild the road so it STILL has four general-purpose lanes in each direction PLUS two ENTIRELY NEW barrier-separated express lanes in each direction, how are you being "charged a toll to drive on a road paid for with tax dollars"? The new lanes wouldn't have existed at all but for the new project, and all the pre-existing capacity is maintained.

To me, letters like the one Dr. Gridlock published underscore the real difficulty with the 495 Express Lanes project: How to educate a driving public that is simply unwilling to listen or to allow itself to be educated or ruled by anything other than pure uninformed emotional rants. It also underscores to me that in some ways I'd be wasting my time writing the letter to Dr. Gridlock because the people who need to read that sort of thing aren't ever likely to see it. But I may do it anyway just on principle.  :-D
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 01, 2012, 11:52:17 AM
Speed Limit increasing to 60 over next few days over the entirety of I-664 and two small segments of I-64 in the Hampton Roads Area...

http://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom/hampton_roads/2012/speed_limit_to_increase56714.asp

I don't get it. 

Most of the Interstate (and non-Interstate but functional classification freeway, such as the Va. 168 toll road in Chesapeake) network in Hampton Roads (except perhaps for the segments of I-64 and I-664 approaching and crossing the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel and the Monitor-Merrimack Bridge Tunnel, respectively and I-264 approaching and crossing the Downtown Tunnel and Berkley Bridge) ought to have posted speed limits of 65. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

WillWeaverRVA

Honestly, at the very least the segment of I-664 between the MMMBT and I-264 could easily do with a 65 MPH speed limit. 55 MPH always seemed painfully slow and I'm glad they're raising it at least a little bit.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

cpzilliacus

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on March 01, 2012, 11:56:48 PM
Honestly, at the very least the segment of I-664 between the MMMBT and I-264 could easily do with a 65 MPH speed limit. 55 MPH always seemed painfully slow and I'm glad they're raising it at least a little bit.

I base this statement on my (pretty extensive) driving experiences in Southern California, where very nearly all freeways have a posted limit of 65 MPH. 

Only one with a lower limit (that I can name immediately) is Ca. 110 (the Arroyo Seco Parkway, f/k/a Pasadena Freeway) between downtown L.A. and Pasadena.

But if the San Diego Freeway can have a posted limit of 65 MPH, then I think it reasonable to assert that very nearly every freeway in Hampton Roads (and, for that matter, across most of Virginia) could (and probably should) have a posted limit of 65.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

QuoteHonestly, at the very least the segment of I-664 between the MMMBT and I-264 could easily do with a 65 MPH speed limit. 55 MPH always seemed painfully slow and I'm glad they're raising it at least a little bit.

This segment was already 60 MPH (and has been for at least 10 years, back when I was in Norfolk the last time), except at the southernmost end near US 58.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on March 03, 2012, 08:02:46 AM
QuoteHonestly, at the very least the segment of I-664 between the MMMBT and I-264 could easily do with a 65 MPH speed limit. 55 MPH always seemed painfully slow and I'm glad they're raising it at least a little bit.

This segment was already 60 MPH (and has been for at least 10 years, back when I was in Norfolk the last time), except at the southernmost end near US 58.

Correct.

So the MMMBT tunnel will be 60 mph ... are there any other major tunnels in the U.S. with a speed limit as high as that?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Takumi

Due to road work on both sides of VA 10 at its intersection with VA 145, the erroneous North-South VA 145 shields are gone, at least for the time being.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

Virginian-Pilot: Va. officials moving forward with tunnel, tolls project

QuoteState highway officials are progressing on schedule with the Midtown Tunnel expansion despite a threatened lawsuit over tolls and an unresolved state budget that could inject more money in the deal.

QuoteState leaders are so confident the project will move forward that on Wednesday they looked to expedite plans to create a network of retail outlets to sell E-ZPass transponders before the tolling starts, which could be as early as July.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 15, 2012, 09:29:53 PM
Virginian-Pilot: Va. officials moving forward with tunnel, tolls project

QuoteState highway officials are progressing on schedule with the Midtown Tunnel expansion despite a threatened lawsuit over tolls and an unresolved state budget that could inject more money in the deal.

QuoteState leaders are so confident the project will move forward that on Wednesday they looked to expedite plans to create a network of retail outlets to sell E-ZPass transponders before the tolling starts, which could be as early as July.

I can't understand why there is no federal funding for this project, especially considering the massive military presence in the region.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on March 15, 2012, 10:06:09 PM
I can't understand why there is no federal funding for this project, especially considering the massive military presence in the region.

The facilities in  question are, of course, intrastate.  But I agree regarding the military bases in and near Hampton Roads.

In addition, Hampton Roads is also home to major seaports, or, in geek-speak, intermodal facilities.

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Va. to make it easier, cheaper to buy E-ZPass

QuoteVirginia is planning to make it easier and cheaper to buy an E-ZPass.

QuoteThe plan comes as the state gets ready to open miles of High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes along both Interstate 495 and Interstate 95 in the next few years. The only way to pay the new tolls in those new lanes in Virginia will be with an E-ZPass transponder.

QuoteThe Virginia Department of Transportation is considering a plan that would make the transponder available at retail locations across the state for $35 with $15 dollars of that available to use right away for tolls. The other $20 could be used for tolls after the transponder is registered.

QuoteUnlike some other states including Maryland, there would be no monthly fee for E-ZPass and no charge for the actual transponder.

Takumi

Hmm. I may actually buy one if that happens.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 15, 2012, 10:19:21 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 15, 2012, 10:06:09 PM

The facilities in  question are, of course, intrastate.  But I agree regarding the military bases in and near Hampton Roads.

In addition, Hampton Roads is also home to major seaports, or, in geek-speak, intermodal facilities.

Major non-Interstate highway projects often qualify for 70% or even 80% federal funding.  Even 50% for this project would provide major reduction in tolls.  Instead it is 0%...

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

D.C. Examiner: Name a Virginia road for $5,000 to $200,000

QuoteCough up $200,000, promise not to use potty humor, and you could get to name your favorite stretch of interstate in Virginia.

QuoteDesperate for cash to build and fix roads, Virginia recently approved legislation that would allow corporations or individuals to pay to put their names on the state's roads and bridges. Following a successful program that allowed corporations to brand state highway rest stops, the naming-rights measure is expected to generate tens of millions of dollars for roads, according to transportation officials who are now identifying which pieces of the state's infrastructure are ripe for naming and what to charge.

bsmart

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 18, 2012, 06:46:57 PM
D.C. Examiner: Name a Virginia road for $5,000 to $200,000

QuoteCough up $200,000, promise not to use potty humor, and you could get to name your favorite stretch of interstate in Virginia.

QuoteDesperate for cash to build and fix roads, Virginia recently approved legislation that would allow corporations or individuals to pay to put their names on the state's roads and bridges. Following a successful program that allowed corporations to brand state highway rest stops, the naming-rights measure is expected to generate tens of millions of dollars for roads, according to transportation officials who are now identifying which pieces of the state's infrastructure are ripe for naming and what to charge.

And I can remember when Virginia named highways (for Free) as an honor.  Mosby, Jackson, Lee immediately come to mind.  I think  US 29 is named after the 29th Infantry Division (The Blue and Gray Division, the MD & VA National Guard) 

How times have changed

deathtopumpkins

There's a difference between naming roads in someone's honor and because someone paid you money to though. Roads are still named in honor of politicians, but there are plenty of other stretches of road that are not.

As for the idea itself, I don't really care. No one is going to suddenly start calling a highway by a corporate-sponsored name no matter how much they pay.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Memo reveals Arlington ticket quota

QuoteA memo sent to Arlington County police officers earlier this month appears to outline a quota system for traffic tickets, arrests and parking citations, according to a report from television station WUSA 9.

QuoteThough the memo says "there is not, nor has there ever been a quota for traffic enforcement,"  it goes on to list "monthly proactivity expectations,"  complete with a set number of traffic summons and a maximum percentage of warnings.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 18, 2011, 11:15:42 AM

I noticed the new BGSs for the HOV ramps have been put into place for traffic heading from the Inner Loop to Shirley Highway (i.e., going west into Springfield and exiting to the left of the I-95 flyover). Can't seem to get a good picture due to their location behind the flyover unless I were to hold the camera in my hand, which I don't like to do. They have the white "Restricted Lanes" banner at the top, then the shield and destination, then an empty opening where it looks like a VMS will be inserted. Whether that's going to contain toll rate info or instead HOV info, who knows. They haven't hoisted any toll gantries on that end of the project–the first one you see on the Inner Loop is just west of the main part of the Springfield Interchange going up the hill towards the overpass above Backlick Road.

I posted the above this past October 18. froggie replied as follows:

Quote from: froggie on October 18, 2011, 12:44:43 PM
The open space is where a small VMS will go showing the toll rate.

A few weeks later I posted this photo of one of the then-new signs with the open space, along with the speculation quoted below:

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 03, 2011, 02:38:24 PM

You know, the other possibility that occurs to me about the small VMS units that will go on these signs is that they may very well not include toll rates at all (there are still no signs of toll gantries anywhere on that side of the Springfield Interchange) and that instead they may well say "OPEN" or "CLOSED." Obviously, if the ramp from the Beltway to the inbound express lanes on I-395 is open, the ramp to the outbound express lanes on I-95 will be closed–both ramps will never be open at the same time. (My interest in the setup stems from the fact that I can see myself using those ramps very frequently, especially coming home from Caps games.)

A few minutes ago I received an e-mail from the 495 Express Lanes project in response to my query about whether the ramps will be tolled and it said as follows:

[My real name],

Thank you for your interest in the 495 Express Lanes.

All of the HOV ramps  will follow the existing HOV rules in effect today when the 495 Express Lanes open later this year. They are not a part of the tolled system. Hopefully this answers your question.

Please let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Safe travels.
495 Express Lanes Team

www.495ExpressLanes.com

Of course it bears remembering that if/when the Shirley Highway HO/T proposal is implemented, these ramps would then require payment of a toll by non-HOV drivers because, even if the ramps themselves are not tolled, the reversible center carriageway on Shirley Highway would be.

1995hoo

WTOP: Express Lanes signs about to debut on Beltway

Adam Tuss reports that in the next few weeks we'll start seeing the "495 Express Lanes" signage. I can report, based on a trip to Falls Church today, that at least one is already up and is not covered with plastic–on the Inner Loop stretch between US-50 and I-66 there's a new sign with the white "E-ZPass Express" banner. It looks like it's got a VMS section underneath it, though I didn't get a great look because I was in slow traffic surrounded by trucks (including tractor-trailers driving on the shoulder). I also noted that they've started a bit of lane-striping near Braddock on the Inner Loop (very minimal, to be sure). The pace of construction has really accelerated big-time in the past couple of months, no doubt helped by the great weather recently. It looks like they definitely ought to have it all finished this year–though I hope for all of our sakes one of the final steps in the project would be a full re-pave of most of the existing road surface to get rid of all the annoying ruts and seams left over from the years of construction.

(Incidentally, I noted that the first advance overhead for I-66, which is located just before the Gallows Road overpass, has the exit tab on the LEFT for a right-side exit. I sent an e-mail to Steve Titunik of VDOT, but I rather doubt the sign will be replaced or altered because the exit "tab" appears to be part of the same large piece of metal, making a change uneconomical and impractical. I suppose, given the new standard that exit tabs for left exits include the "LEFT" banner, and given that the new signs on the Beltway follow that standard, the misplacement of this exit tab maybe isn't such a big deal–since it doesn't say "LEFT EXIT 49 B—A," it necessarily means it's a right-side exit.)

The part of Adam Tuss's article that I find most interesting, following a re-read, is his comment that they're going to start testing the tolling equipment in the next few weeks. I have to assume this is going to be on the portion between I-66 and US-29. That section is already paved within the last few weeks.

cpzilliacus

WAVY Channel 10: Businesses react to possible toll delay

QuoteA budget amendment to delay tolls until January 2014 has left some Portsmouth business owners with mixed reactions.

QuoteCrockin told WAVY.com he's been keeping a close eye on Louise Lucas' bill and doesn't think a two year delay will help.

Quote"What I want to see, and what other people in Portsmouth want to see, is no tolls," Crockin added. "Find another way to pay for the tunnels."

1995hoo

Following on my other comment from yesterday about the new signs on the Beltway, the 495 Express Lanes project put this picture on their Twitter feed. The overpass in the background is US-29 (Lee Highway) and the ramp under construction to the left is the new northbound exit/southbound entrance from/to the Express Lanes. This is the same sign I mentioned in my previous comment, but when I went through there I was in the right lane because I wanted to exit onto I-66.

The white banner shown here is to be the standard at the top of all signs for the new lanes (width will vary, of course).

1995hoo

Drove to Falls Church on the Beltway today and was glad to see some serious progress. The warm winter and spring have surely helped with that.

Substitute pylons for the orange barrels and the picture below (Inner Loop) gives a pretty good sense for how the Express Lanes separation will look. The gantries just north of the US-29 overpass have the tolling equipment in place, but I didn't get a good picture there since I was in the far right lane trying to exit to I-66 in some heavy traffic and the camera was clipped to the passenger-side sun visor (I don't like using a handheld device when I'm in traffic since our cars are all manual-shift). Also noted a lot of the lane striping leading to the new ramps in Springfield is complete or nearly complete and a crew were out installing the VMS units on the BGSs for the Inner Loop exit to the new ramps.

In a prior post I mentioned the advance sign for I-66 with the exit tab on the wrong side. It's been fixed. Steve Titunik had someone send me an e-mail saying they would go have a look at it, but I didn't expect it to be fixed so soon.

OracleUsr

I was in DC Saturday after a drive on Skyline Drive.  Is the "LEFT" banner on the Dulles Toll Road exit sign a first for VA?
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

froggie

No, but close.  We've had one on southbound I-95 at US 1 just north of Woodbridge (Exit 161) for about a year now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.