News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: signalman on September 28, 2019, 09:52:53 AM
Quote from: Alps on September 26, 2019, 07:37:39 PM
Quote from: theroadwayone on September 25, 2019, 10:44:06 PM
So a day or two ago (Jeremy Clarkson voice) I went on the internet and I found this:
https://www.sporcle.com/games/mikenew/new-jersey-turnpike-vs-garden-state-parkway
Which roadway has more lanes at its widest is wrong. Look north of EWR is all I'll say.
That was the only question that I got "wrong". I knew my answer was correct though. As far as I'm concerned, I scored perfectly.
At its peak, the through lanes of the Parkway have 15, and the through lanes of the Turnpike have 14. Unless you count the Interchange 14 roadways to the north as through lanes, which gives you 18. If you count accel/decel lanes, the Parkway gives you 17 and the Turnpike has 18.

roadman65

I noticed that Exit 117A for Lloyd Road near Matawan is been renumbered to Exit 118,  Why could they not leave it part of the Exit 117 numbering and just give it the suffix B and make 117 for NJ 35 and NJ 36 number 117A? 

A and B suffixes can be for two different roads and even two different interchanges if they are less than a mile apart especially in urban or suburban areas. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on October 08, 2019, 12:10:00 AM
I noticed that Exit 117A for Lloyd Road near Matawan is been renumbered to Exit 118,  Why could they not leave it part of the Exit 117 numbering and just give it the suffix B and make 117 for NJ 35 and NJ 36 number 117A? 

A and B suffixes can be for two different roads and even two different interchanges if they are less than a mile apart especially in urban or suburban areas. 
117A is probably north of MP 118, so they found it easier to do that. That's why 131 became 132.

roadman65

Makes sense.  The original parkway exits were off a mile due to some exits being too close to each other.  MM140 is at Exit 138 in Union on the Route 509 overpass because of the cluster of interchanges in Union Township.

Sheryl Crowe

Don'tKnowYet

The Highway Authority had a history of using a suffix in addition to the integer instead of skipping the integer and using A and B.  With the rule that this not allowed, i think they went with 118 for two reasons. 

Lloyd Road and the 35/36 mess of an interchange east of the Parway have nothing to do with each other.  Maybe they wanted to intentionally disassociate the two junctions from each other.

Second, if they went B and A southbound, then northbound is the integer (obviously).  Then they are left with the same interchange as 117 northbound and 117A sourhbound.  This would be impossible to codify with crashes and incident reporting.

117A to 118 southbound was genius. I don't think it was specifically for matching mileposting although that could have been an ancillary benefit.

NJRoadfan

Also keep in mind that Exit 117 is accessible from both the local and express lanes. 118 isn't and it would be confusing to have 117A only available to express lane traffic but not 117B.

roadman65

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 08, 2019, 11:45:32 PM
Also keep in mind that Exit 117 is accessible from both the local and express lanes. 118 isn't and it would be confusing to have 117A only available to express lane traffic but not 117B.
n
Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 08, 2019, 11:45:32 PM
I think that is it because many  freeway numbered interchanges run into the awkward situation of having an integer gong one way for one ramp and A & B the other for two completely different roads.  In urban areas some A & B are for different roadways in many cases.  If NYSDOT  renumbered its exits and did it for I-278 in NY, then you will have a lot of alphabet numbers for many different roads due to it having more ramps than mileposts on its long run of various NYC expressways.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on October 08, 2019, 10:00:33 PM
The Highway Authority had a history of using a suffix in addition to the integer instead of skipping the integer and using A and B.  With the rule that this not allowed, i think they went with 118 for two reasons. 

Lloyd Road and the 35/36 mess of an interchange east of the Parway have nothing to do with each other.  Maybe they wanted to intentionally disassociate the two junctions from each other.

Second, if they went B and A southbound, then northbound is the integer (obviously).  Then they are left with the same interchange as 117 northbound and 117A sourhbound.  This would be impossible to codify with crashes and incident reporting.

117A to 118 southbound was genius. I don't think it was specifically for matching mileposting although that could have been an ancillary benefit.

I'm pretty sure this was something they were happy to get done with separating the whole weird 131 mess in Woodbridge and making the exit for Rt 27 be 132, so it's completely separate from anything involving Metropark, which makes much more sense.

roadman65

Yes the 132 thing works well and the former 131 A & B was a bad idea being between 130 and 131.  It should have been 130 A & B.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on October 09, 2019, 10:26:29 AM
Yes the 132 thing works well and the former 131 A & B was a bad idea being between 130 and 131.  It should have been 130 A & B.

130 is already A&B southbound and has been since the 1NB ramp was built in the early 90s.

Roadgeek Adam

Highway Authority had an exit numbering headache. What remains of it is still silly (82-82A in Toms River).

There were times individual ramps would get regular numbers versus suffix. Like 145A was a part of 145 but 146 was its own ramp. 147 is the southbound equivalent of 146, which was a northbound exit. What is now 98 is made of up 96 and 97 torn up. The ramp that was 158 southbound is now just part of the 159 interchange. (Midland Avenue's ramp was 158). There was rarely consistency.

Also, here is the article for the opening of 117A, no specific explanation to why they chose 117A.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

roadman65

Then Exit 127 is made up of what was originally 127, 127A, and 128.  129 was originally a SB ramp to the NJ Turnpike SB which was the original Exit 10 on the Turnpike before I-287 and NJ 440 were constructed.  Exit 11 connected to US 9 at a trumpet to trumpet that no longer exists. 

The NB Parkway had to exit to US 9 North to access the NJ Turnpike in the pre Exit 127 & 129 current configuration.  Try picturing all the traffic that heads north on the turnpike from the parkway using US 9 and the old 11 interchange today!

Yes the Parkway was kind of odd when it came to exit renumbering.   When Exit 131A opened it was SB off and on only and the current 131B was 131A before the current Wood Ave. Trumpet was opened in 1986.  They just added the B and kept the NB side consistent with the SB lanes.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on October 10, 2019, 12:35:40 PM
Highway Authority had an exit numbering headache. What remains of it is still silly (82-82A in Toms River).

There were times individual ramps would get regular numbers versus suffix. Like 145A was a part of 145 but 146 was its own ramp. 147 is the southbound equivalent of 146, which was a northbound exit. What is now 98 is made of up 96 and 97 torn up. The ramp that was 158 southbound is now just part of the 159 interchange. (Midland Avenue's ramp was 158). There was rarely consistency.

Also, here is the article for the opening of 117A, no specific explanation to why they chose 117A.
Find it interesting that both the Exit 117 tolls and that the original SB exit was on the left as well.  I remember as a small child the left exit and lack of a toll booth there.  However, I was unaware of the Clark Street intersection allowing left turns all ways around.  I always remember that one as RIRO on both sides, but as a kid I never paid attention to that detail.

Exit 96 used to be on the left I do remember as well and the bridges over NJ 34 reveal that today.  The cd ramp to Route 34 south and the NB Parkway over Route 34 are both the same age and design while the Parkway South overpass is newer.  Then look at the cd ramp under both the north and south carriageways.  You can see the NB bridge over is older than the SB one.  That confirms that the current cd road to NJ 34 south under the NB Parkway was the old left exit 96 crossing beneath the NB lanes.

Many parts of the parkway you can see where the changes are.  The NB 127 ramp over US 9 is the original 1952 built Parkway north carriageway before that whole 127-129 tangle was ever made.  You can see it does not match the other bridges of the interchange easily and the old maps show US 9 in the middle of the Parkway and the New Brunswick Avenue interchange ramps connected to the toll road and not the US route in the pre tangle days.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: roadman65 on October 12, 2019, 11:05:35 AM
Exit 96 used to be on the left I do remember as well and the bridges over NJ 34 reveal that today.  The cd ramp to Route 34 south and the NB Parkway over Route 34 are both the same age and design while the Parkway South overpass is newer.  Then look at the cd ramp under both the north and south carriageways.  You can see the NB bridge over is older than the SB one.  That confirms that the current cd road to NJ 34 south under the NB Parkway was the old left exit 96 crossing beneath the NB lanes.

The current 98 only contains two ramps that once was used in the prior alignment. The NB ramp to 138 westbound is ex-97A that is still in use. The SB ramp to 138 eastbound is ex-97 and still is in use.

Old 97 northbound has been bulldozed and rebuilt (mostly under the park & ride). Most of 96 southbound has been obliterated.

Many parts of the parkway you can see where the changes are.  The NB 127 ramp over US 9 is the original 1952 built Parkway north carriageway before that whole 127-129 tangle was ever made.  You can see it does not match the other bridges of the interchange easily and the old maps show US 9 in the middle of the Parkway and the New Brunswick Avenue interchange ramps connected to the toll road and not the US route in the pre tangle days.

The old 126, 128 and 129 are practically torn out. Old 127 is just part of 9. The widened gap of old 129 is visible on the Parkway and old exit 10 on the Turnpike is now mostly that service road for the cops.
Adam Seth Moss

Kacie Jane

Well into the 90s (maybe even beyond), several maps still labeled New Brunswick Avenue as Exit 127A, even though it was never signed as such in my lifetime (born 1985).

storm2k

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on October 12, 2019, 06:13:45 PM

The current 98 only contains two ramps that once was used in the prior alignment. The NB ramp to 138 westbound is ex-97A that is still in use. The SB ramp to 138 eastbound is ex-97 and still is in use.

Old 97 northbound has been bulldozed and rebuilt (mostly under the park & ride). Most of 96 southbound has been obliterated.

The old 126, 128 and 129 are practically torn out. Old 127 is just part of 9. The widened gap of old 129 is visible on the Parkway and old exit 10 on the Turnpike is now mostly that service road for the cops.

was 126 for 9 going NB, 127 for New Brunswick Ave, and 128 for King Georges Rd, to correspond to the exits on the service roads around there now?

roadman65

Google aerial shows the NB US 9 exit was after New Brunswick Avenue on the left side before US 9 cross back under the NB parkway.   I think it was Exit 127A, from a source I saw on line.  I believe 126 was the SB exit for US 9 which was also a left exit as the Parkway SB never crossed US 9.  It was after New Brunswick Avenue as well but going the other way.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeek Adam

127A was New Brunswick Avenue northbound.

127 southbound was a left handed exit to US 9.

Both were canned when the Parkway was widened for the collector road and extension of exit 129.

Adam Seth Moss

roadman65

I noticed that from GSV from Route 17 under the Parkway, they retained the original bridges that carried the mainline over Route 17 and just built a new overpass in the median to carry the new Parkway lanes over the state route.   The original bridges carry the 163 ramps over Route 17 and that, I assume, was to be able to work on the new freeway while keeping the old open at all times.  All they had to do was reconfigure the old carriageways and allow for the new parkway to move to the center when done basically keeping the original ramps and using the old lanes to extend the 163 ramps.

Good plan and similar to the Exit 98 conversion done decades ago where a left hand exit was changed to the right but without a long service road before it here.

Sheryl Crowe

roadwaywiz95

This Saturday evening (11/9) at 6 PM ET, I will be hosting a special live event on my channel along with *several* members of the AARoads forum. We will be taking a 'virtual' tour of the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey and will discuss (in real time as the video rolls) the highlights and history of this, New Jersey's longest highway. We hope you can join us!

A link to the stream can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz0vUI99yjo
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Alps

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on November 06, 2019, 05:53:05 PM
This Saturday evening (11/9) at 6 PM ET, I will be hosting a special live event on my channel along with *several* members of the AARoads forum. We will be taking a 'virtual' tour of the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey and will discuss (in real time as the video rolls) the highlights and history of this, New Jersey's longest highway. We hope you can join us!

A link to the stream can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz0vUI99yjo
😡

roadwaywiz95

The location of tomorrow night's stream has been moved to a different URL, presented below. Apologies for the inconvenience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC6lZ9qV5Yg
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

roadman65

Noticed on GSV the control city changes the NJTA has for new exit guides.

Pt Pleasant is now removed SB at Exit 98 and moved to Exit 91 instead.  Trenton is added going SB at 98 as before it was Belmar/Manasquan/ Pt Pleasant and presently it is become Belmar/Trenton.  Exit 91 was always Lakewood/Brick Twp. and now is Pt. Pleasant/ Lakewood.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on January 21, 2020, 10:57:09 AM
Noticed on GSV the control city changes the NJTA has for new exit guides.

Pt Pleasant is now removed SB at Exit 98 and moved to Exit 91 instead.  Trenton is added going SB at 98 as before it was Belmar/Manasquan/ Pt Pleasant and presently it is become Belmar/Trenton.  Exit 91 was always Lakewood/Brick Twp. and now is Pt. Pleasant/ Lakewood.

That's been in place since the signs were replaced dating back to I believe 2016. There is a 2017 GSV showing the same sign.

roadman65

When you get to be in your 40's and 50's one whole year passes in a blink!   Just like Christmas 2020 will be here before you know and next summer will pass by in a matter of what was two days before.

Getting old sucks as you now have to move fast to plan things. Unlike teenage years which drag forever as I remember how long it took to go from 1980 to 1990 and from 2010 to 2020 went so damned fast.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.