News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Quebec's Highways

Started by Stojko, February 04, 2010, 06:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

7/8

Does anyone know the story behind this roundabout at exit 78 from A-10 west (in Bromont)? Here's the location: https://goo.gl/maps/5iVFf6VmCeT2

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: 7/8 on December 17, 2016, 11:13:33 PM
Does anyone know the story behind this roundabout at exit 78 from A-10 west (in Bromont)? Here's the location: https://goo.gl/maps/5iVFf6VmCeT2

They reconfigurated that interchange in the mid-2000s due to the former diamond ramps had some traffic conflict between travellers going to A-10 westbound to Montreal and those coming from Sherbrooke.

As for why they have 2 roundabouts. It's just a supposition but I guess the 2nd one was perhaps for an access to future residential or commercial developments.

There was this former proposed plans of the town of Bromont who show a proposed interchange on A-10 where PQ-241 pass over A-10 without an interchange currently. https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20081205013922/http://www.bromont.net/Ville_de_Bromont/Services_municipaux/Documents_urbanisme/Cedule_C.htm#coin

I don't know if this proposed interchange (Exit 80?) is still on the plans.

AsphaltPlanet

Video of Autoroute 10 through the eastern Townships of Quebec taken at the height of fall colours:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

SignGeek101

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on January 13, 2017, 11:02:12 AM
Video of Autoroute 10 through the eastern Townships of Quebec taken at the height of fall colours:

Looks like a sweet ride. Thanks for posting.

On another note, looks like the eastward extension of A-70 will be done by the end of summer 2017. I had not heard about this project in the past until now. To be honest, I question it. Does the traffic on QC 170 really justify the extension of an autoroute?

(in french):
http://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2016/08/30/les-travaux-progressent-au-chantier-de-lautoroute-70

AsphaltPlanet

Thanks for watching.

I've never been that far north in Quebec, so I can't answer with any real knowledge of the area.  The one thing that I will say though, is that primary routes in Quebec often aren't tremendously efficient when they go through cities.  The MTQ likes four way stops, and fully protected signal phases, which can mean non-freeway autoroutes aren't tremendously quick.

There are mines, a large smelter, and a hazardous waste destruction facility in this region of Quebec, so, while I can't say with any certainty from lack of personal experience, there might be a higher than expected amount of trucks in this region of the province as well.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Stephane Dumas

PQ-170 and PQ-372 got lots of traffic between Jonquière, Chicoutimi and La Baie and that include truck and A-70 will serve as an alternate route.

Stephane Dumas

SignGeek101

I've always thought A-55 was in worse condition (and thus higher priority) than A-50 when it came to twinning. I guess the AADT as well as the highway being referred to as "the route of death" because of the number of fatal collisions in the last few months means it will be twinned.

AsphaltPlanet

The two lane segment of A-55 is comparatively a lot shorter than it is on A-50.  That said, there is still one traffic signal that remains on A-55 that definitely should be removed.  It's totally unexpected on a road that otherwise operates as a fairly busy two-lane freeway.

J N Winkler

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Alps

J N Winkler

Sorry.  Panneau preparez-vous à arrêter (initialism PPVA) is the Transports Québec house term for the rectangular yellow-background boards with flashers that are used for upcoming stops (diamond warning sign for the appropriate hazard--signal, traffic queue, railroad crossing, etc.--patched between two flashers).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

AsphaltPlanet

^ They're definitely is a flashing warning sign in advance of the traffic signal.

But signs, or no signs, a traffic signal on a road that otherwise operates as a freeway is going to be elevated collision risk vs. a traffic signal on a standard arterial road.

webfil

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on February 19, 2017, 01:59:58 PMLooks like A-50 will be 4-laned from what I read on these French articles. They'll begin by specifics gaps first.
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1019404/autoroute-50-danger-faible-outaouais

Rumour has it : the announcement of A-50 twinning was a political move; good ol' voter-bait pavement. UQO engineer says A-50 is, by far, not the most dangerous 2-lane autoroute.

Fact is, A-50 has over 2.6 times less serious or deadly accidents per mileage driven than A-955, and 65% less than A-55. Moreover, it is way safer than R-148, which it replaces, or other R-1xx roads at all. The engineer suggests that the drivers' behaviour (distraction, fatigue, etc.) should be blamed, not the infrastructure itself. Indeed, Radio-Canada states that out of 7 coroner reports for deaths on A-50 it could get, only one did blame the configuration of the roadway.

Fluidity here is not an issue ― passing lanes are frequent ―, so... rather than twinning, why not build more parking or rest areas, then?

Quote from: webfil on October 28, 2016, 05:55:58 PMWhile the roadway itself shows fewer geometrical problems [prior to widening/conversion to autoroute], the volumes compare advantageously to A-5 in Wakefield, A-20 in Rimouski, A-50 in Petite-Nation region, A-85 or R-175 between Québec and Saguenay ― but A-955 would never get a politician as much votes as upgrades on the former highways would nor is it eliglible to federal funding.
Quote from: compdude787 on October 29, 2016, 01:07:18 PM
Quote from: Alps on October 29, 2016, 12:11:11 PM
Even 10,000 VPD is fine for two lanes.

Agreed. I think anything over 15,000 VPD is enough to justify widening to four lanes.
A-50 is under 15,000 VPD on all of its Super-2 section, except for a small stretch in Gatineau between exits 166 and 174 (barely over 16,000), where it acts both a Buckingham bypass and through route between Gatineau core and Montréal.

Case in point. The Bois-Francs super-2 (A-55/955) is more accident-prone than A-50, but twinning it would be less lucrative, one year away from the elections.

AsphaltPlanet

speaking of Autoroute 50:

Transportfan

Your video demonstrates how much governments prefers to close gaps in long freeway corridors rather than finish twinning shorter highways with more traffic: Compare the A-85, which has a lot less traffic, but is being built to a full freeway from the start, to the A-50.

AsphaltPlanet

^ That's not exactly a fair comparison.  Route 148 was a terribly slow and meandering highway between Gatineau and Lachute before A-50 was completed.  Route 185 may be busier, but it's already a very high quality (and fast) highway in its current form.  Route 185 definitely should be a freeway, but completing the twinning won't have nearly as significant a benefit to area motorists as completing A-50 did.

AsphaltPlanet

One more from Quebec from me...  Autoroute 30:

webfil

With the general election coming next year, the Government of Québec brought the R-138 extension out of the grave. Survey is currently being done to generate a DTM for an eventual planification of the construction schedule.

https://plannord.gouv.qc.ca/en/extension-of-route-138-along-the-lower-north-shore/

webfil

Yup, I know that smell. It's the smell of pre-electoral pavement.

Quote$265M in repairs, upgrades announced for James Bay Highway
'Essentially, it's northern development that goes through that [highway]," says Luc Blanchette
By Susan Bell, CBC News Posted: Jul 10, 2017 4:04 PM CT Last Updated: Jul 10, 2017 4:32 PM CT

The joint project covers the 620 kilometres of the James Bay Highway from Matagami to Radisson.

Quebec and Ottawa are investing $265 million to rebuild a good portion of the James Bay Highway – a vital link connecting the coastal Cree communities of James Bay with the south.

The announcement was made Monday afternoon by Cree Grand Chief Matthew Coon Come; federal Transport Minister Marc Garneau; member of the national assembly for the region Luc Blanchette; and Jean Boucher, member of parliament for Ungava.

The joint project covers the 620 kilometres of the James Bay Highway from Matagami to Radisson. It will see more than half of the road surface repaired – including the replacement of culverts, guardrails and signage – something Coon Come referred to on social media as "long awaited" by the people who use the route regularly. The federal minister of transport, Garneau, said the route is "an extremely" important bit of infrastructure.

"It is very clear that for northern development and for reliable access to the North, it is important to invest in infrastructure," said Garneau.

The Government of Canada is contributing more than $108 million, with the provincial government throwing in more than $156 million.

"Be it tourists, commercial transporters as well as our Cree and Jamesien citizens travelling with their families, these improvements will allow our people to travel on a safer, more secure road," said Coon Come. "Not to mention the savings on unplanned tire and suspension repairs that put a dent in our budgets."

Coon Come also acknowledged the improvements will lead to increased economic opportunities and tourism development.

'It's northern development'

The poor condition of the James Bay Highway is a constant topic of discussion on social media within the territory, with motorists regularly posting photos and videos of particularly bad sections.

In May, one traveller noted every pothole more than "9 inches [small] in diameter" from kilometre 238 south to Matagami. There were more than 50 on the list.

"It reflects our commitment to maintaining the quality of our transportation infrastructure across our vast territory," said Blanchette, MNA for Rouyn-Noranda-Témiscamingue. "This project will also facilitate the flow of people and goods. User safety on this key link to James Bay is our top concern."

Blanchette also said the Quebec government is providing funding for repairs to the 90 kilometres of the access road to the community of Chisasibi.

'It's really a very important project. Essentially, it's northern development that goes through that [highway]," said Blanchette. "We know that GoldCorp has made major investments with a large concentrator and there will be deposits in the vicinity. That's in their business plan. We had to support this kind of development there."

For Jean Boucher, MNA for Ungava, the improvements to the James Bay Highway will reinvigorate northern Quebec.

"By moving quickly on critical stretches, we will be increasing safety not only for the 11,000 people served by the James Bay Road, but also for the numerous hydroelectric, mining, forestry and tourism sector users in our region."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/james-bay-highway-1.4198498

SignGeek101

It is amazing how much politics affects road construction projects and whether or not they happen.

Sure wish A-35 got some love...

SignGeek101

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 23, 2017, 09:45:21 PM
I spotted on Google Streetview, this old railroad crossing sign, around Beauharnois, the photo was taken in August 2015, I don't know if it's still there.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.3096875,-73.896357,3a,37.5y,35.05h,94.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZdx8L7YY_aICfhqkGem2ew!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=fr
Also mirrored at
https://shrinktheweb.snapito.io/v2/webshot/spu-ea68c8-ogi2-3cwn3bmfojjlb56e?size=800x0&screen=1024x768&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.ca%2Fmaps%2F%4045.3096875%2C-73.896357%2C3a%2C37.5y%2C35.05h%2C94.28t%2Fdata%3D!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZdx8L7YY_aICfhqkGem2ew!2e0!7i13312!8i6656%3Fhl%3Dfr%3A%2F%2F

Nice find. Not sure how old it is, but it obviously predates Quebec's monolingual french language law for signs.

The newest section of A-70 opened Saturday morning around 6:00. The new section stretches from the old eastern terminus to the Saguenay airport. Article below (in french):

Pic snipped from the article:

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1047889/autoroute-70-ouverte-quietude--citoyens-saguenay

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.