News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

Quote from: cl94 on February 21, 2020, 07:12:00 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 21, 2020, 07:08:59 PM
Quote from: froggie on February 21, 2020, 01:35:07 PM
the inherent toll penalty incurred in exiting off a tollway then later hopping back on at the same exit.

In what states is this an issue?
Never heard of it happening anywhere in the Northeast.

It's more of a thing on barrier toll systems, such as the Garden State Parkway and Illinois Tollway, that have ramp tolls. NY and MA have no penalty, can't remember the other ticket systems.
I am almost certain you would get ticketed for something like "illegal exit from limited access highway" in MA or NY.

roadman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on February 25, 2020, 11:07:22 AM
Quote from: cl94 on February 21, 2020, 07:12:00 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 21, 2020, 07:08:59 PM
Quote from: froggie on February 21, 2020, 01:35:07 PM
the inherent toll penalty incurred in exiting off a tollway then later hopping back on at the same exit.

In what states is this an issue?
Never heard of it happening anywhere in the Northeast.

It's more of a thing on barrier toll systems, such as the Garden State Parkway and Illinois Tollway, that have ramp tolls. NY and MA have no penalty, can't remember the other ticket systems.
I am almost certain you would get ticketed for something like "illegal exit from limited access highway" in MA or NY.

I believe that froggie is referring to the fact that, on some toll highways, it's more expensive if you exit the highway and then re-enter at the same interchange than if you don't exit the highway at all.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

vdeane

Exactly.  Take the Thruway E-ZPass tolls:
Exit 24 direct to exit 45: $9.07
Exit 24 to exit 31: $3.80
Exit 31 to exit 45: $5.32
Exit 24 to exit 45 with a stop off exit 31: $9.12

It's subtle, but there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

Quote from: roadman on February 25, 2020, 11:41:59 AM
I believe that froggie is referring to the fact that, on some toll highways, it's more expensive if you exit the highway and then re-enter at the same interchange than if you don't exit the highway at all.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm referring to.

SidS1045

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on February 25, 2020, 11:07:22 AMI am almost certain you would get ticketed for something like "illegal exit from limited access highway" in MA or NY.

Not in MA, unless a cop catches you at it.  "No-fix" tickets (an officer observes the violation and mails the ticket to the violator) are illegal here.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

roadman

Quote from: SidS1045 on February 27, 2020, 04:55:29 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on February 25, 2020, 11:07:22 AMI am almost certain you would get ticketed for something like "illegal exit from limited access highway" in MA or NY.

Not in MA, unless a cop catches you at it.  "No-fix" tickets (an officer observes the violation and mails the ticket to the violator) are illegal here.

That's not entirely correct.  In certain circumstances, police in MA can issue a citation without actually stopping the vehicle.  From MGL Chapter 90C, Section 2:

QuoteA failure to give a copy of the citation to the violator at the time and place of the violation shall constitute a defense in any court proceeding for such violation, except where the violator could not have been stopped or where additional time was reasonably necessary to determine the nature of the violation or the identity of the violator, or where the court finds that a circumstance, not inconsistent with the purpose of this section to create a uniform, simplified and non-criminal method for disposing of automobile law violations, justifies the failure(emphasis added).   In such case the violation shall be recorded upon a citation as soon as possible after such violation and the citation shall be delivered to the violator or mailed to him at his residential or mail address or to the address appearing on his license or registration as appearing in registry of motor vehicles records.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

SidS1045

Quote from: roadman on February 27, 2020, 05:11:58 PM

That's not entirely correct.  In certain circumstances, police in MA can issue a citation without actually stopping the vehicle.  From MGL Chapter 90C, Section 2:

QuoteA failure to give a copy of the citation to the violator at the time and place of the violation shall constitute a defense in any court proceeding for such violation, except where the violator could not have been stopped or where additional time was reasonably necessary to determine the nature of the violation or the identity of the violator, or where the court finds that a circumstance, not inconsistent with the purpose of this section to create a uniform, simplified and non-criminal method for disposing of automobile law violations, justifies the failure(emphasis added).   In such case the violation shall be recorded upon a citation as soon as possible after such violation and the citation shall be delivered to the violator or mailed to him at his residential or mail address or to the address appearing on his license or registration as appearing in registry of motor vehicles records.

I'd like to see some judicial history on that.  The city of Boston tried issuing no-fix tickets some 30 or 40 years ago, and none of them were upheld in court.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

roadman

Quote from: SidS1045 on February 28, 2020, 02:57:23 PM
Quote from: roadman on February 27, 2020, 05:11:58 PM

I'd like to see some judicial history on that.  The city of Boston tried issuing no-fix tickets some 30 or 40 years ago, and none of them were upheld in court.

I remember that.  As I recall, the Boston tickets were thrown out not on the basis of "no fix" tickets being illegal, but because the judge determined that it was clearly possible for the violators to have been stopped by the officers.

02 Park Ave

Has any information ever been issued as to how the Harriman toll plaza will be reconfigured once the Thruway goes cashless?
C-o-H

vdeane

Harriman is already cashless.  There are no plans to change it when the rest of the system converts.  See the (slightly outdated; some of these really should be showing as completed) map.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

02 Park Ave

I referred to the wrong toll plaza in my question.  I wanted to refer to the Woodbury toll plaza, particularly how the northbound lanes would be reconfigured.  Will they just keep the two current E-Z pass lanes for through traffic or widen them?  The Thruway is only two lanes wide from a bit north of that toll plaza.
C-o-H

vdeane

I would think they would keep it as it is now, especially as that would be an easy software change and it's only two lanes north of there.  As for what becomes of the right lane, either it becomes an exit only lane for exit 16, or ends shortly thereafter (similar to EB at exit 25 and around exits 23/24; the Thruway seems to like to avoid exit only lanes where possible).

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on March 09, 2020, 08:26:10 PM
the Thruway seems to like to avoid exit only lanes where possible

Except for the annoying situation at Exit 45, where I'm actually OK with the exit only lane, but very much wish they would turn the rightmost through lane into an option lane, rather than having everybody think they need to cram into a single lane 3/4 of a mile early.

AcE_Wolf_287

does anyone know when theyre converting the toll booths to the electronic gantry later on this year? ive heard by may but i dont know if thats true

webny99

I don't know of any dates, but the gantry installation is already a work in progress at many locations.
There's a (somewhat outdated) map of the progress at each location here.

hbelkins

Re: Hopping on and hopping off. Why would it be illegal to get off at an exit and get back on? It happens on free routes all the time. You want to eat at a restaurant that's not in one of the service plazas. You prefer a certain brand of gas that's not available in the service plaza. You want to run in Walmart to grab a bunch of grapes to snack on.

Re: Electric cars and time to charge. This is why I say that electric cars will never become mainstream until the technology evolves to a point where they can be refueled as quickly as a traditional petroleum-powered car. Who wants to sit and wait an hour to get a full tank, when you can get that in five minutes or so if you're driving a gas or diesel vehicle?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

thenetwork

Quote from: hbelkins on March 18, 2020, 02:14:46 PM
Re: Hopping on and hopping off. Why would it be illegal to get off at an exit and get back on? It happens on free routes all the time. You want to eat at a restaurant that's not in one of the service plazas. You prefer a certain brand of gas that's not available in the service plaza. You want to run in Walmart to grab a bunch of grapes to snack on.

Re: Electric cars and time to charge. This is why I say that electric cars will never become mainstream until the technology evolves to a point where they can be refueled as quickly as a traditional petroleum-powered car. Who wants to sit and wait an hour to get a full tank, when you can get that in five minutes or so if you're driving a gas or diesel vehicle?

There is no illegality in leaving a Toll Road and getting backnon at the same exit in how you described it -- Unless you U-Turn before the toll plaza/toll gantry AND then head back in the OTHER Direction.

What is being said above is that on some Toll Roads, There may be a minimum toll amount for going just one exit, and the toll amount doesn't increase until a minimum amount of mileage exceeds the minimum toll amount.

For Example, if the Ohio Turnpike charged a minimum of 75 cents for traveling between any two consecutive exits:

If Car A got on at Exit 100 and got off at Exit 110 -- a 10 mile distance, they would pay the 75 cent minimum.  Then if they got back on and went to Exit 115, that would be another 75 cent minimum toll or $1.50 total.

But if Car B entered the turnpike at Exit 100 and stayed on the turnpike all the way to Exit 115, they may only have to pay 90 cents total, since they were not dinged for TWO minimum tolls.

Now if both cars rode the turnpike all the way to Exit 220, they may pay the same toll because the cents-per-mile toll costs evened out.

It's like buying soda pop at the grocery store:  If you buy individual 20oz bottles at 2 bucks each, you'll pay $6 for 60 ounces, whereas you can buy a whole two-liter for $2.50. 

lstone19

Quote from: thenetwork on March 19, 2020, 11:09:23 PM

For Example, if the Ohio Turnpike charged a minimum of 75 cents for traveling between any two consecutive exits:

If Car A got on at Exit 100 and got off at Exit 110 -- a 10 mile distance, they would pay the 75 cent minimum.  Then if they got back on and went to Exit 115, that would be another 75 cent minimum toll or $1.50 total.

But if Car B entered the turnpike at Exit 100 and stayed on the turnpike all the way to Exit 115, they may only have to pay 90 cents total, since they were not dinged for TWO minimum tolls.

Now if both cars rode the turnpike all the way to Exit 220, they may pay the same toll because the cents-per-mile toll costs evened out.

The funny thing is several years ago, the Ohio Turnpike had a set one-exit toll that was the same for all one-exit trips, even if it was less than what the mileage rate called for. It created some arbitrage opportunities. For instance, I believe back then 2 to 91 and then immediately re-enter and go 91 to 110 was less than 2 to 110 (I just checked and even today, thanks to them rounding all tolls to the nearest quarter, you can save 25 cents by doing that although it does appear even one-exit tolls are now mileage based).

MASTERNC

Looks like the Thruway is starting a crude form of cashless toll collection due to COVID-19

- Drivers enter through cash lanes without taking a ticket
- At exit, drivers tell the toll collector where they entered and their license plate number.  They will then receive a bill in the mail.

Does not sound like they are using cameras to track vehicles' entry and exit like the PA Turnpike

https://www.thruway.ny.gov/etp/index.html

kalvado

Quote from: MASTERNC on March 20, 2020, 08:50:27 PM
Looks like the Thruway is starting a crude form of cashless toll collection due to COVID-19

- At exit, drivers tell the toll collector where they entered and their license plate number.  They will then receive a bill in the mail.

Does not sound like they are using cameras to track vehicles' entry and exit like the PA Turnpike

A bit strange. I certainly had a few cases when my EZpass failed to read and the system did record license plate number for billing purposes.

Alps

Does this not defeat the point of isolation

lstone19

Quote from: Alps on March 21, 2020, 01:39:48 AM

Does this not defeat the point of isolation

Not really as nothing is handled by both motorist and toll (non-)collector and they speak to each other at a distance (although perhaps not six feet).

I was first think rental motorists were going to get screwed by this but then I realized you could, if they will take it, give them the license of a car you own rather than the one you're driving. Unless the collector has a camera, they won't be able to see your plate as you give it to them. The whole thing is pretty much on the honor system anyway given they'll have no record of where you actually got on.

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on February 19, 2020, 04:12:20 PM
Amenities in NY are pretty typical compared to other states with toll roads, as far as I have seen. A couple of fast food outlets, a coffee shop, convenience store, gas, restrooms (including 1 single-occupant unisex), tourist info, wifi is the typical set of amenities. Many locations have a farmer's market during the growing season.

-Sloatsburg (NB between 15A and 16) is by far the largest single-direction facility and the only one with two public levels. This one also has a parking garage.
-Directly opposite is Ramapo (SB between 16 and 15A), the smallest service area. This is basically a glorified McDonald's and, before the 1990s, required crossing the Thruway via a bridge to Sloatsburg for most services.
-Angola (both directions between 57A and 58) is the only facility in the median. Parking lots and fuel on the outside of the roadways, building in a wide median accessible by enclosed bridges. Angola is about the same size as Sloatsburg, but it serves both directions.
-New Baltimore (both directions between 21B and 21A) has a separate rest area/tourist info center/playground accessible only from NB.
-A closed pair of service areas is on the Berkshire Spur east of the Castleton-on-Hudson Bridge. These closed shortly after I-90 through Albany opened due to a lack of traffic.
-Combined service areas and welcome centers were planned on I-90 WB near Exit B3 and I-90 EB near Exit 61 in the 1990s, but never built. McDonald's would have been a major funding partner.

There's also the Western New York Welcome Center. I truly wonder how much traffic that place gets.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

webny99

Quote from: Buffaboy on March 22, 2020, 10:35:35 PM
There's also the Western New York Welcome Center. I truly wonder how much traffic that place gets.

Having been there a handful of times since it opened, I think I can safely say... not a lot. Much less than any Thruway service area. There have never been more than 5 or so other cars when we've been there. It's very visible from the highway, which is great, but accessible is another matter. Too much winding around to get in there IMO. At least they finally put stoplights in at Exit 19 (Whitehaven Road) which have been needed for a while.

The facility itself is very nice. Fewer toilets than I expected, but a clean, well-designed, and uncrowded place to stop, as long as you don't mind about 5 turns to get in there and another 5 to get out.

SteveG1988

They're wrapping up the TZB Construction yard on the western shore as construction on the Cuomo bridge wraps up. Only thing that remains is the portable building, and that's been moved closer to the road. Sign that the bridge is nearly complete
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.