News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 04, 2022, 04:46:01 PM
That bridge isn't even bad. There were a few bridges in New York (of course) that had supplemental cross bracing added under the piers because they were in such sad shape.
Agree with that, it's nowhere as bad as the GA 86 bridge that was struck by a truck back in July, this is the bridge that I'm talking about that would be repaired, although this bridge was built in 1998 per bridgereports.com and the one in Georgia that was struck was built in 1976 and it had the steel beams compared to the Mozingo one which uses concrete beams and concrete appears to be stronger in some aspects like when it gets hit.

plain

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 04, 2022, 02:45:21 PM
Although not in NC, this is a bridge I often wonder about in terms of what does a failing pier really looked like to a trained eye (which is not me)...

https://goo.gl/maps/4ETRz2ZTj1avNrZP6

This bridge is getting ready to be replaced as part of the Express Lanes extensino but it has been like this a long time...

Before VDOT rebuilt the RPT-era bridges on I-95 in Richmond, many of them had crumbling supports like that.

And the bridges I'm referring to were the ones carrying I-95 itself..
Newark born, Richmond bred

tolbs17

I'm guessing this link shows that these roads will be widened that have 9 foot travel lanes to 10.5? It's needed, because they are dangerously narrow.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/Division%202%20Letting/10-27-2021/DB00508%20PLANS.pdf

Dirt Roads

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 10, 2022, 02:56:46 PM
I'm guessing this link shows that these roads will be widened that have 9 foot travel lanes to 10.5? It's needed, because they are dangerously narrow.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/Division%202%20Letting/10-27-2021/DB00508%20PLANS.pdf

You are correct about the increase in pavement width.  It has been a hallmark of NCDOT to systematically increase the pavement width over time.  As for whether the old pavement width was dangerous, I beg to differ.  The new pavement will be much closer to the ditch.  We live on a former dirt road that now has 12-foot lanes and 4 foot shoulders.  Whereas the main road in the area has 10-foot lanes and sometimes a 2-foot shoulder.  Now, there's no room for error if something forces you off the pavement (which does happen occasionally).  At least you can see the combine coming from a mile away, and pull over as far as possible at a slow speed.  I felt much safer in the days that we had 8-foot lanes with 4-foot full shoulders.

tolbs17

Definitely ironic of how all of these business have been acquired for the reconstruction of this interchange. It will be a diamond. A folded diamond was considered but it seems like they favored the standard diamond one.

https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/pdea/PermApps/U-5896%20Guilford%20October%2012%202021.pdf

Strider

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 11, 2022, 01:36:07 AM
Definitely ironic of how all of these business have been acquired for the reconstruction of this interchange. It will be a diamond. A folded diamond was considered but it seems like they favored the standard diamond one.

https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/pdea/PermApps/U-5896%20Guilford%20October%2012%202021.pdf

Not really. The businesses around the interchange already closed down not long ago. Besides, the interchange is in a BAD shape. too many accidents.

tolbs17

Looking at this document, All the signs on the western leg of the Triangle Expressway (and some on I-40 too) will be replaced and they are only about 10 years old. I think that's crazy. Signs should be replaced every 20 years or so in my opinion. Not sure if this is related to the renumbering of I-885 and NC-885 but they will be replaced. And existing North/South directionals on NC 540 will be altered to East/West and the logical reason could be that the eastern extension is opening up...

The Morrisville Parkway signs will remain untouched in this project though.

I'll break it down

Solid signs - will be replaced.

Gray signs - will be added.

Dotted signs - will remain untouched

Dotted signs with an X - will be removed.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/Division%205%20Letting/10-13-2021/DE00325%20Combined%20Plan%20Sheets.pdf

Looking at page 191, the extra US-1, US-64 and US-70 will be removed from this sign. Practically because it's either too big or it has too much information... so no I-87 shield surprisingly.

tolbs17

Quote from: Strider on January 11, 2022, 02:38:24 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on January 11, 2022, 01:36:07 AM

Not really. The businesses around the interchange already closed down not long ago. Besides, the interchange is in a BAD shape. too many accidents.
Makes sense. Diamond interchanges are the easiest to merge on and off.

Roadsguy

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 11, 2022, 04:51:56 AM
Looking at this document, All the signs on the western leg of the Triangle Expressway (and some on I-40 too) will be replaced and they are only about 10 years old. I think that's crazy. Signs should be replaced every 20 years or so in my opinion. Not sure if this is related to the renumbering of I-885 and NC-885 but they will be replaced. And existing North/South directionals on NC 540 will be altered to East/West and the logical reason could be that the eastern extension is opening up...

I'll break it down

https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/Division%205%20Letting/10-13-2021/DE00325%20Combined%20Plan%20Sheets.pdf

Looking at page 191, the extra US-1, US-64 and US-70 will be removed from this sign. Practically because it's either too big or it has too much information... so no I-87 shield surprisingly.

And NCDOT, in their apparent quest to make 3di directionality as unnecessarily confusing as possible, is changing the open portion of NC 540 from north/south to east/west, with eastbound going south toward US 1 and NC 55 and westbound going north toward I-540. This means that from I-40, there will be signs listing I-540 East and NC 540 East side-by-side, both going to completely different places. This is even worse than the soon-to-be split between I-74 West and US 74 West at Rockingham, since I-/NC 540 is for all intents and purposes a single route, unlike I-74 and US 74.

On the bright side, these plans include the conversion of NC 147 Toll to NC 885 Toll, plus some of the I-885-only signage for the Durham Freeway. In case anyone else was curious how they were going to sign that, there you go.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

roadman65

I was on Historic Aerials dot com, to find out what the original Exit 107 configuration was before I-95 was completed between Kenly and Gold Rock.  To my dismay, I see no collection of aerial photography prior to 1983.  So being that stretch of freeway opened to traffic in 1977 or circa, the 1983 aerial shows pretty much what is today.

Does any one recall if there even was an interchange there at all? I seem to remember an at grade there where four lane US 301 defaulted into the four lane I-95 with two lane US 301 south of there being a wye split and NB US 301 having to stop and yield to the 301 SB to I-95 NB traffic and I-95 north yo US 301 traffic.

However the present day interchange was under construction at that time I remember. So that could have been a temporary set up while the ramps were either being done or redone. So all I know the exchange was there originally but got redone for whatever reason.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on January 11, 2022, 12:14:20 PM
I was on Historic Aerials dot com, to find out what the original Exit 107 configuration was before I-95 was completed between Kenly and Gold Rock.  To my dismay, I see no collection of aerial photography prior to 1983.  So being that stretch of freeway opened to traffic in 1977 or circa, the 1983 aerial shows pretty much what is today.

Does any one recall if there even was an interchange there at all? I seem to remember an at grade there where four lane US 301 defaulted into the four lane I-95 with two lane US 301 south of there being a wye split and NB US 301 having to stop and yield to the 301 SB to I-95 NB traffic and I-95 north yo US 301 traffic.

However the present day interchange was under construction at that time I remember. So that could have been a temporary set up while the ramps were either being done or redone. So all I know the exchange was there originally but got redone for whatever reason.

The interchange was opened a little before the rest of 95 was opened north to Gold Rock.  The bridge is dated 1977 and the rest of 95 opened in late 1978.  i do not believe there was any other bridge in this location.

CanesFan27

http://www.gribblenation.org/2020/08/local-sign-find-last-remnant-of.html

Goes into some of the detail you need.

roadman65

So I figured right. And because I-95 from Benson to Kenly was originally planned as a four lane bypass for US 301 the at grade made sense at the time.

I also remember the ends of the Fayetteville Bypass before it was completed. The south end curved to the Northwest and defaulted into the Business Loop I-95 and US 301 wye interchange at Hope Mills, while the north end at Eastover just had a seam less freeway from I-95 BL to I-95 as well. In fact in NCDOT erroneously signed the freeway part of I-95 BL and US 301 as I-95 and those traveling it thought that I-95 terminated at the Cape Fear River instead of wheee today's interchange is in Eastover.

I also read, but vaguely remembered I-95 having a gap in Lumberton.   I saw in an internet article that the I-95 and US 301 concurrency through Lumberton was an arterial that was later upgraded to interstate standards. It was a pre interstate bypass of US 301 that simply got converted to interstate with businesses along the old 301 still kept alive.

There was another gap I remember, but it was a shorter one as NC at freeway ends used to have overhead flashers at barricades and somewhere else other than Gold Rock had a barricade at an exit somewhere else with the yellow warning flashers above the freeway.

Sheryl Crowe

cowboy_wilhelm

NCDOT Historical Aerial Imagery Index

There's some imagery around Kenly from 1957, 1965, 1969, 1970, and 1975 (and later).

CanesFan27

Quote from: roadman65 on January 11, 2022, 05:17:18 PM
So I figured right. And because I-95 from Benson to Kenly was originally planned as a four lane bypass for US 301 the at grade made sense at the time.

I also remember the ends of the Fayetteville Bypass before it was completed. The south end curved to the Northwest and defaulted into the Business Loop I-95 and US 301 wye interchange at Hope Mills, while the north end at Eastover just had a seam less freeway from I-95 BL to I-95 as well. In fact in NCDOT erroneously signed the freeway part of I-95 BL and US 301 as I-95 and those traveling it thought that I-95 terminated at the Cape Fear River instead of wheee today's interchange is in Eastover.

I also read, but vaguely remembered I-95 having a gap in Lumberton.   I saw in an internet article that the I-95 and US 301 concurrency through Lumberton was an arterial that was later upgraded to interstate standards. It was a pre interstate bypass of US 301 that simply got converted to interstate with businesses along the old 301 still kept alive.

There was another gap I remember, but it was a shorter one as NC at freeway ends used to have overhead flashers at barricades and somewhere else other than Gold Rock had a barricade at an exit somewhere else with the yellow warning flashers above the freeway.

Covered that for you also - http://www.gribblenation.org/2019/06/governor-hunt-cuts-ribbon-on-doomsday.html

Strider

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 11, 2022, 12:05:53 PM

I'll break it down

And NCDOT, in their apparent quest to make 3di directionality as unnecessarily confusing as possible, is changing the open portion of NC 540 from north/south to east/west, with eastbound going south toward US 1 and NC 55 and westbound going north toward I-540. This means that from I-40, there will be signs listing I-540 East and NC 540 East side-by-side, both going to completely different places. This is even worse than the soon-to-be split between I-74 West and US 74 West at Rockingham, since I-/NC 540 is for all intents and purposes a single route, unlike I-74 and US 74.

On the bright side, these plans include the conversion of NC 147 Toll to NC 885 Toll, plus some of the I-885-only signage for the Durham Freeway. In case anyone else was curious how they were going to sign that, there you go.

NC 540 East going south to US 1 and NC 55? That does not make sense. (even with NC 540 extension extending from NC 55 to I-40/US 70 interchange). Should have just keep the current one. Whoever thought of that... FAIL. It should be like this:

NC 540 going west from I-40 to NC 55 (designed west)
NC 540 going south from NC 55 to NC 55 (designed south)
Future NC 540 going east from NC 55 to I-40/US 70 (designed east)
Future NC 540 going north from I-40/US 70 to US 1 (designed north).

Easier than creating the E-W mess.

tolbs17

Quote from: Strider on January 12, 2022, 02:12:57 PM

I'll break it down

NC 540 East going south to US 1 and NC 55? That does not make sense. (even with NC 540 extension extending from NC 55 to I-40/US 70 interchange). Should have just keep the current one. Whoever thought of that... FAIL. It should be like this:

Same. Also, NC 55 Bypass is not called NC 55 bypass anymore.  They should be removed from those signs. But I can't find the signage plans for those.

Strider

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 12, 2022, 02:33:27 PM

I'll break it down

Same. Also, NC 55 Bypass is not called NC 55 bypass anymore.  They should be removed from those signs. But I can't find the signage plans for those.

Sadly, I think they are keeping the NC 55 Bypass on the signage plans if they're not on the diagrams.

bob7374

Quote from: Strider on January 12, 2022, 10:09:17 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on January 12, 2022, 02:33:27 PM

I'll break it down

Sadly, I think they are keeping the NC 55 Bypass on the signage plans if they're not on the diagrams.
The contract has been posted to NCDOT's Construction Progress Report entries for Wake County, though no begin construction date is listed. The official completion date is 9/13/2023. This contract is planned as a follow-up to that of the East End Connector project which is supposed to put up all the I-885/Toll NC 885 signs along I-40, I-85, the Triangle Parkway and the Durham Freeway. Will this project's signs end up being placed first?

architect77

I'll break it down

To be fair. the Cary Exit signs on I-40 Eastbound into Raleigh are from the late 80's, almost 40 years old.

Also there are plenty of sun-faded, unreadable signs that thankfully are soon to be replaced.

The overheads on I-40 in the fortify zone look sloppy, saggy, and below the preceding very high standards such as the Lake Wheeler Rd cantilever which is sagging and switches border color for the yellow part. I know that's the standard. but i think they accept the all white border which looks way better.

Do you think all of the out-of-staters now in NC are slowly not adhering to the high standards NCDOT is famous for?

architect77

Does anyone know what dictates when concrete curbs are built on superstreets or 4-lame highays in general?

In rural Franklin County the new US401 section has curbs and drains on long stretches and then none on otherss.

I'm thinking that on inclines/declines the runoff might be too damaging to the soft shoulders so it requires more deliberate diversion.

Still it looks funny to see such a city-like piece of infrastructure on a rural highway.

tolbs17

Quote from: architect77 on January 14, 2022, 02:27:16 PM

I'll break it down

To be fair. the Cary Exit signs on I-40 Eastbound into Raleigh are from the late 80's, almost 40 years old.

Also there are plenty of sun-faded, unreadable signs that thankfully are soon to be replaced.

The overheads on I-40 in the fortify zone look sloppy, saggy, and below the preceding very high standards such as the Lake Wheeler Rd cantilever which is sagging and switches border color for the yellow part. I know that's the standard. but i think they accept the all white border which looks way better.

Do you think all of the out-of-staters now in NC are slowly not adhering to the high standards NCDOT is famous for?
1st line I'm sure you are referring to the ones between NC 147 (future I-885) and Wade Ave. Yes they are old but will be replaced in the near future I'm sure like when some interchange improvements are being done like of what happened at Aviation Parkway and what is currently being done to Airport Blvd right now.

I-440 in Northern Raleigh does need replacements...They are old and they DID realize it had to be done after the storm ripped off a sign.

If you are referring to the stretched out lowercase a then I agree.

And maybe.

fillup420

on the topic of signs in the Triangle, there really needs to be another advance sign for the 540 interchange on 40 Eastbound. Currently there is only one at the 1/2 mile advance position. I routinely see cars cutting across 2+ lanes to get onto 540. The single sign does not give enough notice of the upcoming interchange.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: fillup420 on January 15, 2022, 09:59:52 AM
on the topic of signs in the Triangle, there really needs to be another advance sign for the 540 interchange on 40 Eastbound. Currently there is only one at the 1/2 mile advance position. I routinely see cars cutting across 2+ lanes to get onto 540. The single sign does not give enough notice of the upcoming interchange.

Agreed!

roadman65

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on January 15, 2022, 11:11:16 AM
Quote from: fillup420 on January 15, 2022, 09:59:52 AM

Agreed!

The same situation I found in Wichita, KS on US 54/ 400 approaching I-135 from the east.  A last minute guide that the exit is coming, meanwhile all local roads are warned in advance of their coming.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.