AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Traffic Signals that are not used as such, but as becaons  (Read 22777 times)

STLmapboy

• Last Login: May 13, 2022, 01:36:05 PM
Re: Traffic Signals that are not used as such, but as becaons
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2020, 06:24:35 PM »

Not sure if it counts but check out this install in population-bleeding Northern Ohio. It started out as a string of lights on a wire. By 2013, the lights were all proudly displayed from a single mast arm stretching diagonally over the intersection. Apparently the traffic counts didn't warrant a signal, however, so between 2016 and 2019 that sexy mast arm was changed to bear some undeserving beacons, in my favorite Econolite poly buttonback design and with reflective backplates.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

thenetwork

• Last Login: Today at 07:01:56 PM
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2020, 11:00:28 PM »

Not sure if it counts but check out this install in population-bleeding Northern Ohio. It started out as a string of lights on a wire. By 2013, the lights were all proudly displayed from a single mast arm stretching diagonally over the intersection. Apparently the traffic counts didn't warrant a signal, however, so between 2016 and 2019 that sexy mast arm was changed to bear some undeserving beacons, in my favorite Econolite poly buttonback design and with reflective backplates.

Interesting how the auto dealer has tapped into ODOT's mast arm as well...

webny99

• An ode to the road bestowed

• Last Login: Today at 05:52:18 PM
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2020, 11:08:07 PM »

Since this got revived... here's an example.

This was a high-accident location back in the 1990's, ultimately causing left turns from the divided highway onto the side street to be prohibited (you can see one of the no left turn signs in the Street View). You can still turn left out of the side street, though.
On April 25, 2022, I became the 20th user in forum history to Like the Forum Way, Way Too Much. And then I found that there's another way...
__ _______ ___ __ _______ _____

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: May 20, 2022, 09:30:41 PM
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2020, 10:17:51 AM »

This was a high-accident location back in the 1990's, ultimately causing left turns from the divided highway onto the side street to be prohibited (you can see one of the no left turn signs in the Street View). You can still turn left out of the side street, though.

Am I missing something?  Those just look like beacons, not traffic signals being used as beacons.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

• Transportation Design

• Last Login: Today at 06:24:12 PM
    • Flickr
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2020, 02:50:18 PM »

Sep 2018: "SIGNAL UNDER STUDY FOR REMOVAL". Can't say I've seen that sign before.

It was already operating as a four-way stop with stop signs by that point.
Check out my Flickr | Add me on Facebook!

mrsman

• Last Login: May 20, 2022, 07:06:45 AM
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2020, 06:14:53 PM »

Sep 2018: "SIGNAL UNDER STUDY FOR REMOVAL". Can't say I've seen that sign before.

It was already operating as a four-way stop with stop signs by that point.

I suppose the flash mode was part of their study.  Determine on a trial basis what a four way stop would do to traffic at the intersection before converting it permanently to all beacons.  Perhaps there are also public notice laws that require signs to be displayed in case locals want to comment.  At this point, it seems that the all-stop operation is new because there are flags surrounding all of the stop signs.

[And I'm glad they did a study.  If they determined that there was too much traffic, why go through the expense of reinstalling the signal?]

Another interesting thing to note is that the stop signs are displayed on both the left and right sides of the intersection, on all 4 corners.  These are retained in the most recent GSV (even though the flags are removed).

webny99

• An ode to the road bestowed

• Last Login: Today at 05:52:18 PM
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2020, 10:33:52 PM »

Am I missing something?  Those just look like beacons, not traffic signals being used as beacons.

You're right. They are just beacons. I guess I didn't think about it hard enough to realize the distinction.

I could probably find some *actual* examples at fire stations - I know I've seen them around - but the only one that immediately came to mind is just regular R/Y/G, not flashing yellow.
On April 25, 2022, I became the 20th user in forum history to Like the Forum Way, Way Too Much. And then I found that there's another way...
__ _______ ___ __ _______ _____

mrsman

• Last Login: May 20, 2022, 07:06:45 AM
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2020, 08:14:54 AM »

You're right. They are just beacons. I guess I didn't think about it hard enough to realize the distinction.

I could probably find some *actual* examples at fire stations - I know I've seen them around - but the only one that immediately came to mind is just regular R/Y/G, not flashing yellow.

I think the point of the thread are signals that are RYG but no longer change between the designations (ever).  And only serve as a flashing red or a flashing yellow.

Fire station signals (at least the ones that I'm familiar with) may be flashing most of the time, but will change to red to service the needs of emergency vehicles coming and going from the station.  I don't believe any are on permanent flash mode, even if they flash every time that I drive by.

fwydriver405

• UMaine - Civil Engineering & MBB Student Asst.

• Last Login: Today at 05:38:23 PM
« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2020, 05:36:40 PM »

This signal in Saco ME comes to mind. The R3-5 signs on the southbound side don't even line up with the lane configuration on the pavement anymore, and I don't know when, if not at all, those signals were even activated or deactivated. Looks like they were installed in 2009-ish.

paulthemapguy

• nobody asked me

• Last Login: May 20, 2022, 05:50:04 PM
« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2020, 09:17:01 PM »

A lot of signals in Omaha, NE switch to flashing yellow/red at night, when traffic volumes are lower.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My Shield Gallery, Sorted https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
Source Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHskFU42pF
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 345/424. Only 79 route markers remain!

ErmineNotyours

• Last Login: May 18, 2022, 07:10:46 AM
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2021, 10:53:46 PM »

Wallace, Idaho, home of the last I-90 traffic signal in a coffin in a museum has another old traffic light on the old I-90 alignment, but it's in permanent flash mode.  A light in one of the stop directions broke off and was replaced by a stop sign.  Also still has dark textual walk signs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.