News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

giant meteor over Southern California

Started by agentsteel53, November 07, 2013, 09:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

7:50pm local time last night. reports of it from as far away as Tucson imply this was one of the brightest ones of the year.

I saw barely the end of it. I was driving down my driveway, with a canopy of trees overhead, and I saw the two flashes. when I looked up, the last of the glowing trail appeared briefly and faded.

I would casually estimate magnitude to be -14, which is a bit brighter than the full moon, and appears maybe 10 times a year anywhere on earth.

anyone got good astronomical information about it? my search of the media yields results from "yep we all saw it" to "end times probably nigh" but I will bet it was captured by various cameras (this being SoCal and all!), radar, etc.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.