News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traffic #%&@

Started by Alex, January 23, 2009, 11:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

Ooh, can we see that video? The last two times I drove over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge it was still under construction.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alex

Sure, I can post it on youtube I suppose.

Alex

deathtopumpkins

Thanks for the video.

That highway has changed a lot in the last few years. The beltway didn't quite look like that last time I drove it.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alex

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on January 27, 2009, 02:01:16 AM
Thanks for the video.

That highway has changed a lot in the last few years. The beltway didn't quite look like that last time I drove it.

I'm sure it still suffers from traffic hell, but its a nice improvement anyway. I suppose they are adding HOT lanes in another attempt to improve the Virginia portion of the road west of Interstate 395, but I have not taken that stretch since 2005.

Scott5114

Quote from: voyager on January 24, 2009, 08:43:38 PM
Wow, I had no idea Washington D.C. had so many traffic problems.

It doesn't help that DC's DOT is so shoddy with the signage... it's one of only two places I've visited where I actually thought the signs were better back home!

(the other was New Mexico)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Voyager

Wish I had taken a picture of the I-80 traffic that starts in Cordelia.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

aswnl

Typical Dutch traffic...

(The four pictures above were sent to me as candidates for the monthly roadphoto contest on Wegenforum.nl)

NB: just before I reached this gantry, 2 lanes were being closed.
Reason: an accident some half mile away. Duration to pass: 20 minutes...

Chris

Yeah, we really love those 4 lane perpetually congested freeways over here  :ded:

haljackey

The 401 during rush hour:

corco

I discovered last May when driving from Idaho to Maine with friends that the best way to handle the 401 during rushhour is to use the collector-distributors the whole way. That highway is a nightmare

Alex

Interstate 85 northeast of Atlanta, though with this volume of traffic, it typically moves at 60+ mph until peak hours begin.

un1

My favourite 401 traffic image:
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

haljackey

yeah and it always gets jammed in the narrow sections

(The collector and Express system join together here)

It still gets busy where the highway swells up.

Alex

I now can see why the 401 gets such notoriety! How far out do the Toronto suburbs stretch anyway?

Alex

And one rawr_apples might appreciate:

Interstate 84 eastbound, slow moving due to a mid-afternoon accident.

ComputerGuy

Where's Seattle traffic or the WA-520 floating bridge during rush hour?

Hellfighter

Interstate 96/275 at 9 Mile Road. Farmington Hills, MI

Chris

Whoa that's a large picture..

But the traffic seems to be moving at least. Not really fast, but it's not stationary.

Truvelo

This is the M25 beltway around London UK, unfortunately I didn't have my DSLR with me at the time so I had to use my cellphone.

And this is the M6 which is the only really decent north-south road along the northwest of England. An accident occurs on it every day which results in long delays. The congestion in this picture is caused by the evening rush hour.

Speed limits limit life

Alex

Great photos, I always find it commical when VMS or permanent signs with yellow beacons indicate "congestion area" or "congestion ahead slow down", as if you needed a sign to remind you of what is so plainly obvious to your own eyes.  :eyebrow:

Chris

^^ Those are meant for securing the "tail" of a traffic jam, so people don't enter stationary traffic with 75 mph.

Alex

Again it should be obvious by the sea of brake lights. It would only be useful if the congestion was abrupt, which generally only happens during an accident situation.

aswnl

^^ That's proven wrong. The number of traffic jam tail accidents has dropped significantly on Dutch freeways with such a system, compared to those without. First warnings are nearly 1200m (3/4 mile) before the tail-end.

Truvelo

That's if the VMS is working properly. The ones in this country often display messages long after the incident is over. If it's saying QUEUE AFTER NEXT JCT do you leave at that junction and then rejoin further ahead to avoid the incident or do you stay on the motorway in the hope the message is spurious?
Speed limits limit life

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.