News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Arizona Technicolor Shields for Wiki Uses

Started by 707, March 25, 2015, 12:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I spent the better half of Monday completing SVG files based on the 1961 California U.S. Highway shield and photographs of the technicolor signs Arizona used in the 1950s.

And here's a 3DX version created using the only Highway Gothic font that would fit the parameters. I can't confirm the accuracy of it as I could not find any photos of a technicolor sign being used on a 3DX such as US 260 or US 666.

For those who haven't seen these before and aren't familiar with the signs, each color is direction specific.
Orange = North
Green = South
Blue = West
Brown = East

The colors of the shields are the MUTCD approved ones as that is what they appeared to be when looking at the few extant photographs of these signs. I found out sadly enough that ADOT tends to destroy unneeded highway shields once they are taken down, meaning these technicolor signs would likely be a rarity today.

mwb1848

What's old is new again – sort of. Check out these green shields which just went up on a newly completed 4-lane section of US 93 between Wickenburg and Wikieup. There are only a handful of them; the segment wasn't very long.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.