AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Right Idea, Wrong Sign  (Read 40430 times)

lepidopteran

• Last Login: May 17, 2022, 10:56:39 AM
Re: Right Idea, Wrong Sign
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2020, 09:59:41 PM »

How about this one, in Laurel, MD?

The "Right Turn Only" sign is typically used at the likes of a parking lot exit, where an impassable median and/or the angle make turning right the only practical option.  The usual signage for this setup is the curved "Only" arrow.

jakeroot

• Transportation Design

• Last Login: Today at 01:55:12 AM
    • Flickr
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2020, 01:49:24 PM »

The "Right Turn Only" sign is typically used at the likes of a parking lot exit, where an impassable median and/or the angle make turning right the only practical option.  The usual signage for this setup is the curved "Only" arrow.

I would agree. This could also be used leading up to an intersection where the right lane is right-only, mounted on a post. "Right lane must turn right" is more common but I've seen "right turn only" used for that purpose before.
Check out my Flickr | Add me on Facebook!

STLmapboy

• Last Login: May 13, 2022, 01:36:05 PM
« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2020, 02:48:52 PM »

This isn't even the right idea. What the hell is this (W4-1) doing in front of the exit?
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

jakeroot

• Transportation Design

• Flickr
« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2020, 05:40:48 PM »

This isn't even the right idea. What the hell is this (W4-1) doing in front of the exit?

I think it's to warn of the merge just past the exit.

That reminds me of this sign in Tacoma, WA that warns of the right lane ending. Oh, that right lane? Yeah, it's the one joining on the right. As in, none of the lanes visible when you see the sign. Just stupid, and yet further evidence that we continually shoot ourselves in the foot when it comes to encouraging zipper merging by signing merges and lane endings three hundred miles in advance.

cjk374

• The road less travelled is well worn under my feet

• Last Login: May 17, 2022, 06:49:18 AM
« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2020, 06:51:11 AM »

Dixie Inn, LA. This merge sign is located at the required distance from the merging on-ramp. It looks weird, but it is proper & correct.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

STLmapboy

• Last Login: May 13, 2022, 01:36:05 PM
« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2020, 09:34:21 AM »

Dixie Inn, LA. This merge sign is located at the required distance from the merging on-ramp. It looks weird, but it is proper & correct.
Would it really be that hard to put it after the offramp though?
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

jakeroot

• Transportation Design

• Flickr
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2020, 04:02:59 PM »

It would be easy enough, of course, but the stupid rules say to place it a certain distance prior to a merge.

Then again, there could be an exception for situations like this, since I normally only see those merge signs (for RIRO-style ramps) after the off-ramp, like this

wanderer2575

• Last Login: May 17, 2022, 11:13:00 PM
« Reply #132 on: November 16, 2020, 10:45:04 PM »

Something about this looks a little fishy.  Is it just me?

It's not just you. Those Keep Right signs are meant to go on a median nose. The correct way of doing this would have been to just make one sign: "Wide Loads Keep Right".

A contractor did something similar with a detour "assembly" on I-696 in Pleasant Ridge some years ago:

wanderer2575

• Last Login: May 17, 2022, 11:13:00 PM
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2020, 10:48:42 PM »

Northbound US-127 in Addison MI before a sign replacement project several years ago:

roadfro

• Last Login: May 17, 2022, 09:53:57 AM
« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2020, 11:23:16 AM »

It would be easy enough, of course, but the stupid rules say to place it a certain distance prior to a merge.

Then again, there could be an exception for situations like this, since I normally only see those merge signs (for RIRO-style ramps) after the off-ramp, like this

Yeah, I'm sure it's a distance requirement issue, or perhaps incorrectly-interpreted distance

It doesn't seem entirely clear based on MUTCD Table 2C-4 what distance should be used... For that Dixie Inn one, if we were to use 65mph, footnote 2 indicates it would be the table's Condition A resulting in a 1200 foot placement for a merge—which is still before the exit, and seems quite unusual...

There's a lot of this phenomenon along Nevada's US 50 & US 50 Alt between Fernley & Fallon. This stretch is mostly four-lane divided, with many High-T intersections. So you'll see the merge/added lane warning sign notifying of the traffic entering on the left side from the side roads. In most (if not all) of these cases, the merge sign comes before the point of the mainline turn—and due to lack of space in the median, is often posted on the right side of the carriageway instead of the left (example).

By comparison, my US 50 Alt example is also 65mph. The measure tool in Google Maps indicated roughly 400 feet from the sign to the physical gore, which seems to correspond to the Table 2C-4 result for a Condition B 20mph deceleration.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

andrepoiy

• Last Login: Today at 12:36:23 AM
« Reply #135 on: December 10, 2020, 05:00:03 PM »

Here is a sign somewhere near me. This sign in Ontario is used to indicate which lanes are exit lanes and are really only found on freeways. However, it appears this sign here is being used to indicate that the right lane becomes a turn lane. The correct sign would be a "RIGHT LANE MUST EXIT", so yeah, wrong sign right idea.

The smaller image on the bottom is an example of the correct usage of the sign.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 05:03:49 PM by andrepoiy »

PurdueBill

• Last Login: May 17, 2022, 10:36:18 PM
« Reply #136 on: December 12, 2020, 01:38:53 PM »

I would agree. This could also be used leading up to an intersection where the right lane is right-only, mounted on a post. "Right lane must turn right" is more common but I've seen "right turn only" used for that purpose before.

One could do what Peabody, Mass does a lot and make a custom job for two lanes....it existed from when they redid the intersection and added the signal (late 80s I think I remember? If not, very early 90s) and there were signs on Lowell Street that also had "TURN ONLY".  The westbound LEFT TURN ONLY was changed to a LEFT LANE MUST TURN LEFT in very short order.  The RIGHT TURN ONLY sign eastbound is still there all these years later.  Other boobery when they added the signal included the cabinet being attached to the mast such that it completely blocked the sidewalk.  It was moved to its present location afterward.  The original ground-mounted eastbound signal, an 8-8-8 like the overheads, only lasted a year or two before being knocked down and replaced with a 12-12-12.   

JoePCool14

• I'm surrounded by IDiOTs.

• Last Login: May 17, 2022, 09:03:41 PM
« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2022, 11:47:04 AM »

Bringing this thread back from the dead!

IDOT has apparently never heard of chevrons, at least for Sheridan Rd here. I really don't like the practice of spamming these big arrow signs.

https://goo.gl/maps/fwQD1D4PnNBihLXf6

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
My Travel Mapping stats

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 03:01:09 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2022, 12:47:27 AM »

IDOT has apparently never heard of chevrons, at least for Sheridan Rd here. I really don't like the practice of spamming these big arrow signs.

This vantage point is pretty confusing. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1202712,-87.737,3a,75y,55.9h,87.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sG3GY1cMfTn6t_Qq0IsTNiw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: May 17, 2022, 10:23:15 PM
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2022, 01:09:01 AM »

This vantage point is pretty confusing. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1202712,-87.737,3a,75y,55.9h,87.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sG3GY1cMfTn6t_Qq0IsTNiw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Hopefully the driver is looking to their left at the upcoming road, rather than to the right to see the trees.

LilianaUwU

• meow

• Last Login: Today at 02:26:18 AM
    • Flickr
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2022, 09:35:00 PM »

A "30 km" distance banner used as a 30 km/h advisory speed sign:

https://goo.gl/maps/o4XZPcJ3oChC4tQ4A

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.