News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Tropical cyclone tracking thread

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, May 07, 2015, 11:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: US 89 on August 30, 2021, 12:19:11 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on August 29, 2021, 10:58:12 AM
I have cousins in LaPlace that are staying put. Not even this storm can get them to evacuate.

Hope they are doing ok... Laplace appears to be where the worst of the flooding is

Yeah, the eye passed just west of LaPlace so they got a huge amount of rain and wind. Sounds like everybody is OK but there is extensive property damage.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

NWI_Irish96

Watching a local news broadcast from a NO station. Their station was incapacitated, so they were airing the feed from a Baton Rouge station while the NO station's crew headed to BR to broadcast from their studio. They could not find a passable route via the south/west sides of Lake Ponchartrain and had to go around the east/north sides to get to BR.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kenarmy

If Nora would've shifted a few miles west, couldn't it have been the first tropical cyclone to reach Arizona?
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Alex

Quote from: kenarmy on August 30, 2021, 11:38:15 AM
If Nora would've shifted a few miles west, couldn't it have been the first tropical cyclone to reach Arizona?

Although rare, it has happened before. The most recent occurrence was another Hurricane Nora in 1997.
https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/tropical/rain/nora1997.html

QuoteWeakening to a tropical storm, Nora crossed into the Desert Southwest of the United States.
Sustained winds of tropical storm force were recorded at Yuma.  Although weakening to a
tropical depression as it moved across California and Arizona, the circulation aloft did not
have time to spin down.

Track: https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/tropical/rain/nora97trk.gif

US 89

Tulane posted this to their Twitter on Sunday night:

QuoteIda's path deviated from what forecasters had predicted as recently as yesterday morning. However, we are confident we have taken every precaution and that we will weather this storm as we have others in the past. Please visit http://tulane.edu/emergency  for more information.

That statement is just wrong. The NHC's forecasts were arguably as close to perfect as you are going to get with the forecast models we have now. Forecasts from as early as Thursday showed a hurricane impacting southern Louisiana. Attempting to hide their poor planning by blaming meteorologists really isn't a good look for an otherwise well-known, well-respected university.

route56

Quote from: route56 on August 29, 2021, 02:06:46 AM
Meanwhile, we've got two more TDs in the Atlantic, and there's a wave still over Africa that the NHC is currently predicting a 70 percent chance of Development between 2 and 5 days out. We may just knock out Julian, Kate, and Larry in quick succession, and get the infamous "Cape Verde" storm.

Done, done, and done. Julian and Kate barely made it to Tropical Storm status, and were no threat to land. That potential Cape Verde storm has indeed become TS Larry. It's too soon to tell if this will stay out to sea.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

oscar

I'm in NW Louisiana right now, since my plans to return home via SE Louisiana were foiled by Hurricane Ida. Parts of US 190 I wanted to clinch between Baton Rouge and Covington were still closed by flooding or downed power lines, last I checked.

Yesterday evening, on my way to Shreveport, I drove US 167 to Alexandria. That took me past the huge emergency "megashelter" along US 167 south of Alexandria, built after Hurricane Katrina to house large numbers of evacuees (especially those with medical or other special needs) from future hurricanes. The parking lots were full of buses, and some private vehicles. Looks like a lot of evacuees are staying put for now (as advised by the governor), and holding off on trying to return to their homes in SE Louisiana.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

route56

Looks like Larry will be a "fish spinner." Maybe Bermuda will get some rain from it...

R.P.K.

bing101

Quote from: route56 on September 04, 2021, 11:39:44 PM
Looks like Larry will be a "fish spinner." Maybe Bermuda will get some rain from it...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/hurricane-larry-update-1.6166584
Looks like Canada's Newfoundland area is going to get hit by Hurricane Larry.

CoreySamson

Yuck. I do not like the look of Nicholas. It's looking like it will slow down or stall somewhere around the Houston area. Seems like a combination of 2007 Humberto and Harvey. Currently I'm in the bullseye for both the highest rainfall and the highest winds. Could get over a foot of rain, but I feel like somewhere within 20 miles of my house could get over 2 feet. Here are some scenarios for the Houston area:

Scenario #1:
A weaker Nicholas takes a more westerly path into Corpus Christi and stalls out inland, dumping almost Harvey or Allison levels of rain on Houston. Looking less likely.

Scenario #2:
A stronger (high end TS or CAT 1 storm) Nicholas skirts the Texas coast, making landfall somewhere between Matagorda Bay and Galveston Bay. Less rain, but still a lot. Looking more likely as of the past few hours.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

CoreySamson

Now under a Hurricane Warning from Nicholas. The eyewall figures to move into my town in a couple of hours.

My Route Log
My Clinches

CoreySamson

The northern eyewall of Nicholas went directly over my town at about 1am this morning. I woke up around that time and wondered why it was so quiet. All is fine here, but several friends have downed trees and there is minor wind damage around town. I estimate the winds gusted to about 65 or 70 mph at my house last night. A rain gauge in my neighborhood recorded about 9 inches of rain, but luckily no flooding in the area except for a couple streets in Houston and the surge along the coast. Safe to say this could have been much, much worse for the Houston metro but I'm worried about the rain it will dump on Louisiana, especially Lake Charles.

My Route Log
My Clinches

snowc

We may have two NEW storms, Odette and Peter!  :-D

Scott5114

Do note that that is a live graphic, so it is now showing Odette and two Invest storms which could become Peter and Rose.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CoreySamson

Quote from: CoreySamson on September 14, 2021, 01:37:38 PM
The northern eyewall of Nicholas went directly over my town at about 1am this morning. I woke up around that time and wondered why it was so quiet. All is fine here, but several friends have downed trees and there is minor wind damage around town. I estimate the winds gusted to about 65 or 70 mph at my house last night. A rain gauge in my neighborhood recorded about 9 inches of rain, but luckily no flooding in the area except for a couple streets in Houston and the surge along the coast. Safe to say this could have been much, much worse for the Houston metro but I'm worried about the rain it will dump on Louisiana, especially Lake Charles.
You know, in the grand scheme of things Nicholas really wasn't all that bad considering how bad it could've been if a variable shifted. Neither Houston nor Louisiana flooded, it didn't spend enough time over open water to really get strong, and the extent of the damage is mostly in Brazoria and Matagorda counties. That being said, some of my friends still don't have power and the wind damage near the coast was pretty bad for a low-level hurricane.

My Route Log
My Clinches

allniter89

Quote from: CoreySamson on September 17, 2021, 09:33:59 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on September 14, 2021, 01:37:38 PM
You know, in the grand scheme of things Nicholas really wasn't all that bad considering how bad it could've been if a variable shifted. Neither Houston nor Louisiana flooded, it didn't spend enough time over open water to really get strong, and the extent of the damage is mostly in Brazoria and Matagorda counties. That being said, some of my friends still don't have power and the wind damage near the coast was pretty bad for a low-level hurricane.
I'm glad LA finally caught a break. They sure deserve it with the summer they've had.
I hope the red one stays out of the Gulf. They've said it had a high chance to develop since it came off Africa.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

snowc

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 17, 2021, 07:51:13 PM
Do note that that is a live graphic, so it is now showing Odette and two Invest storms which could become Peter and Rose.
Thanks for the hatnote, Scott! :clap:

ET21

Odette might have a second coming after a waste of a classification imo.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 17, 2021, 07:51:13 PM
...which could become Peter and Rose.

That's a weird way to get into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

route56

Quote from: formulanone on November 09, 2021, 08:56:18 AM
That's a weird way to get into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

There's certainly a non-zero chance for a tropical cyclone to impact Cooperstown.

We've gone through the main list once again; will we see Adria make an appearance before the season is over?

R.P.K.

snowc

Dag nabbit!
Adria is gonna form!  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :pan: :no: :banghead:
Quote1. Showers and thunderstorms have decreased near the center of a
hurricane-force non-tropical low pressure system located a little
over 500 miles east-northeast of Bermuda.  While a large area of
shower activity associated with a frontal boundary persists to the
northeast of the low's center, the system has not yet acquired
sufficient characteristics to be classified as a subtropical
cyclone.  However, some additional development is still possible
during the next day or two while upper-level winds become a little
more favorable, and a subtropical storm could form during this time.
Thereafter, the system is forecast to move over colder water and be
absorbed by a larger non-tropical low. Additional information on
this system, including hurricane force wind warnings, can be found
in High Seas forecasts issued by the National Weather Service.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...50 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...50 percent.

Scott5114

Unless it doesn't...50% chance means it's equally likely to not happen.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

snowc

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 10, 2021, 02:12:05 PM
Lets hope to pray that we don't use Adria.  :-D

US 89

Quote from: snowc on November 10, 2021, 02:48:49 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 10, 2021, 02:12:05 PM
Lets hope to pray that we don't use Adria.  :-D

Why? Potential future Adria is not going to hurt anyone but fish spinning out in the middle of the ocean with no land in sight.

CoreySamson

Looks like we have our first nasty tropical cyclone of 2022. Madagascar is about to get slammed by Cat 4-equivalent Cyclone Batsirai. You don't see many storms that bad in that part of the world.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.