AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Tucson Freeways  (Read 58277 times)

DJStephens

• Last Login: Today at 01:16:42 AM
Re: Tucson Freeways
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2023, 05:15:26 PM »

Can a local (I'm not one) actually point to a specific road that should/could be replaced by a freeway?
Houghton Road.  Should have been part of a "greater picture" 5/8 circumferential.   Would have placed a far greater powered interchange @Exit 275 on I-10 than a ridiculous DDI.  Stack, Turbine, etc.  Growth will continue.  People will continue to move there.  Vehicle trips will continue to increase.   

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: February 29, 2024, 10:17:45 PM
    • Flickr
« Reply #151 on: May 21, 2023, 06:10:37 PM »

Can a local (I'm not one) actually point to a specific road that should/could be replaced by a freeway?
Houghton Road.  Should have been part of a "greater picture" 5/8 circumferential.   Would have placed a far greater powered interchange @Exit 275 on I-10 than a ridiculous DDI.  Stack, Turbine, etc.  Growth will continue.  People will continue to move there.  Vehicle trips will continue to increase.

Thanks for the input.

I checked the AADT numbers, per the Pima County website. Seems like Houghton is busiest right near the 10 freeway, though I'm not seeing traffic counts much above 22,000. So, not really freeway counts just yet, though certainly well within reasonable for the current (mostly) six-lane expressway. But the counts are higher than ten years ago (ever so slightly), and development patterns being what they are, I don't see any reason to think they won't continue to rise.

So, I could see a freeway out that way. There seems to be a lot of ROW where one could be built, which certainly separates Houghton from, say, Speedway, or Campbell.

machias

• Last Login: February 29, 2024, 08:11:50 PM
« Reply #152 on: June 25, 2023, 01:55:49 AM »

I'm really impressed with the way construction is being handled along I-10 around the Sunset Rd and Orange Grove Rd interchanges.  Traffic in both directions is shunted onto the frontage roads, maintaining 3 lanes in each directions, and a zone speed limit of 55.

More information here
https://azdot.gov/projects/southcentral-district-projects/i-10-reconstruction-between-ruthrauff-and-ina-roads

JKRhodes

• Ditat Deus

• Last Login: February 04, 2024, 02:45:12 PM
« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2023, 12:33:49 AM »

Wondering when/if the state plans to reconstruct the Cortaro TI. Building retaining walls and shoehorning extra lanes between the pillars and abutments was a creative solution, but always felt like a temporary fix; one that has been in place 15+ years.

DRMan

• Last Login: February 29, 2024, 02:57:05 PM
« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2023, 02:10:22 PM »

Wondering when/if the state plans to reconstruct the Cortaro TI. Building retaining walls and shoehorning extra lanes between the pillars and abutments was a creative solution, but always felt like a temporary fix; one that has been in place 15+ years.

A recent version of the Town of Marana's podcast touched on this. Bottom line is, ADOT has completed a study of the area but the main priorities are the current I-10 Ruthrauff to Ina project and the part of I-10 east of I-19 (the oldest part of I-10 in AZ).

This episode is worth a listen - the ADOT rep covers all of this in some detail as well as the basics of how projects are planned and the role of RTA. Search for "Real Talk with the Town of Marana" in Spotify or your favorite podcast platform -- it's episode #28.

JKRhodes

• Ditat Deus

« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2023, 10:12:58 AM »

A recent version of the Town of Marana's podcast touched on this. Bottom line is, ADOT has completed a study of the area but the main priorities are the current I-10 Ruthrauff to Ina project and the part of I-10 east of I-19 (the oldest part of I-10 in AZ).

This episode is worth a listen - the ADOT rep covers all of this in some detail as well as the basics of how projects are planned and the role of RTA. Search for "Real Talk with the Town of Marana" in Spotify or your favorite podcast platform -- it's episode #28.

Hearing them discuss Cortaro I sense I'm not alone in thinking it's a goofy intersection :-D . Glad a solution is in the pipeline even if it's not funded or scheduled just yet.

One of the first news releases from ADOT that I read when I first became a roadgeek 20+ years ago had to do with constructing 40 ft frontage roads in the tucson area and eventually placing traffic on them while mainline I-10 was widened.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010622030723/http://www.dot.state.az.us/news/nrel580.htm

Got on at Ina eastbound several weeks ago and first thought was "Wow, it's really happening."

I like that the detour is flanked by curbs instead of jersey barriers. feels like less of a cattle chute, easier to escape the travel lanes to safety in the event of a breakdown.

DRMan

• Last Login: February 29, 2024, 02:57:05 PM
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2023, 02:34:11 PM »

Hearing them discuss Cortaro I sense I'm not alone in thinking it's a goofy intersection :-D . Glad a solution is in the pipeline even if it's not funded or scheduled just yet.

One of the first news releases from ADOT that I read when I first became a roadgeek 20+ years ago had to do with constructing 40 ft frontage roads in the tucson area and eventually placing traffic on them while mainline I-10 was widened.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010622030723/http://www.dot.state.az.us/news/nrel580.htm

Got on at Ina eastbound several weeks ago and first thought was "Wow, it's really happening."

I like that the detour is flanked by curbs instead of jersey barriers. feels like less of a cattle chute, easier to escape the travel lanes to safety in the event of a breakdown.

Agreed, they've done a good job keeping traffic flowing through there and the forethought to build the frontage roads that way is really paying off. But that dropoff to the old quarry on the eastbound side, protected by only a chain link fence, seems to call for some more protection.

JKRhodes

• Ditat Deus

« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2023, 09:56:26 PM »

Agreed, they've done a good job keeping traffic flowing through there and the forethought to build the frontage roads that way is really paying off. But that dropoff to the old quarry on the eastbound side, protected by only a chain link fence, seems to call for some more protection.

Interested to see how OGR is tied in to the quarry after it’s revised to a surface street overpass. Initial thought is a steep inclined approach is not favorable for fully loaded trucks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.