News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Oldtown-Greenspring bridge

Started by iBallasticwolf2, June 10, 2015, 11:07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iBallasticwolf2

I found this ancient seeming wooden bridge over the North Branch Potomac River- https://www.google.ca/maps/@39.537805,-78.613117,3a,75y,215.2h,86.56t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sRnTOSJqglBMvl9TaR5q27A!2e0. It seems like it should be replaced but the toll revenues (That's right it is tolled!) aren't enough to pay for a new bridge. Apparently the bridge might have a toll hike soon. http://tollroadsnews.com/news/oldtown-bridge-md-wv-facing-major-regulatory-problems-for-toll-hike

Also I find it absolutely insane tractor trailers are even allowed on the bridge.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

cpzilliacus

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 10, 2015, 11:07:39 AM
Also I find it absolutely insane tractor trailers are even allowed on the bridge.

That is a "low-water" bridge over the Potomac River, and it is indeed tolled.  The weight limits are pretty low, and I know that a laden tractor-trailer is not allowed to use the bridge. 

The bridge even has its own Web site here

Bridge toll rates must be approved by the Maryland Public Service Commission (even though the crossing links Maryland and West Virginia, the entire river, up to the "low water mark" on the south shore, is Maryland territory).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

There is another thread about it somewhere on this forum with dashcam video I uploaded. I got a kick out of the little metal cup the toll-taker extends on a pole. If you search for my username and "low water toll bridge" you should be able to find the thread. I drive across the bridge in July 2013 en route to the Omni Bedford Springs for our third anniversary. My wife said the bridge reminded her of rural roads in Hungary and Romania.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 10, 2015, 01:00:05 PM
There is another thread about it somewhere on this forum with dashcam video I uploaded. I got a kick out of the little metal cup the toll-taker extends on a pole. If you search for my username and "low water toll bridge" you should be able to find the thread. I drive across the bridge in July 2013 en route to the Omni Bedford Springs for our third anniversary. My wife said the bridge reminded her of rural roads in Hungary and Romania.

I have some pictures of it as well.  Am going to try and work this bridge into the Corridor H meet for next year.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

skaguy

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 10, 2015, 03:22:38 PMI have some pictures of it as well.  Am going to try and work this bridge into the Corridor H meet for next year.
That would be fantastic.  I would be slightly terrified to cross it, but would probably be just fine once it came time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.