Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

Quote from: Dirt Roads on July 22, 2021, 05:28:17 PM
Seen on I-85/I-40 eastbound between milepost 58 and 59 this afternoon:

I-40
        Via I-40
    26 min[utes]

I'm pretty sure that meant to say I-540 on the top row.

During the rush hour, this sign typically flips back and forth the trip times between using I-40 versus I-85 and NC-147 (Durham Freeway).  There's less than 2 miles difference between the destinations.  Traditionally, the sign would indicate the trip times to I-540 but most recently I've been seeing trip times to the east end of the Durham Freeway.  That's absurd also:

NC-147
          Via I-40
      24 min[utes]
---------------------
         NC-147
Via I-85 and NC-147
      26 min[utes]

That first one made me laugh way harder than it should've.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Dirt Roads

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 22, 2021, 06:27:43 PM
That first one made me laugh way harder than it should've.

I-40
        Via I-40
    26 min[utes]

I'm pretty sure that meant to say I-540 on the top row.   :-D :-D :-D

CNGL-Leudimin

Seen early in the morning (5:45 Central, 12:45 Central Europe) at the state line VMS along I-80/94:

Kick Covid
  to the curb by
getting vaccinated

(Normally as I'm a negationist of the term "Covid" I would have replaced that with "coronavirus", but I decided to leave the quote as originally shown)

Such a VMS message wouldn't have needed in Spain, where there's little opposition to vaccines resulting in immunization rates still growing like crazy, and expected to slow down only when they hit a natural limit. In fact we have long passed the USA and recently we did so to the UK.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

JoePCool14

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 28, 2021, 07:56:44 AM
Seen early in the morning (5:45 Central, 12:45 Central Europe) at the state line VMS along I-80/94:

Kick Covid
  to the curb by
getting vaccinated

(Normally as I'm a negationist of the term "Covid" I would have replaced that with "coronavirus", but I decided to leave the quote as originally shown)

Such a VMS message wouldn't have needed in Spain, where there's little opposition to vaccines resulting in immunization rates still growing like crazy, and expected to slow down only when they hit a natural limit. In fact we have long passed the USA and recently we did so to the UK.

I've seen several different virus-related messaging on there, and of course Illinois would do that. Any VMS that is used to display virus messaging is absurd in my book. It was more acceptable when state's were issuing interstate travel restrictions, since those actually apply, but to push vaccination...

wanderer2575

Sure would be nice if MDOT could get their units synchronized.  These two on westbound I-696 never are.

The westernmost one is six miles CLOSER to I-275 but right now shows three minutes LONGER drivetime than the easternmost one.

Dirt Roads

I-40
        Via I-40
    26 min[utes]

I'm pretty sure that meant to say I-540 on the top row.

During the rush hour, this sign typically flips back and forth the trip times between using I-40 versus I-85 and NC-147 (Durham Freeway).  There's less than 2 miles difference between the destinations.  Traditionally, the sign would indicate the trip times to I-540 but most recently I've been seeing trip times to the east end of the Durham Freeway.  That's absurd also:

NC-147
          Via I-40
      24 min[utes]
---------------------
         NC-147
Via I-85 and NC-147
      26 min[utes]

I need to eat my hat.  This past Monday morning, the same VMS was flipping through the same I-40 destination message.  Looks like this is intentional.

I-40
          Via I-40
      26 min[utes]
---------------------
             I-40
Via I-85 and NC-147
      26 min[utes]

Sadly, the best destination doesn't work.  Research Triangle Park (RTP) just happens to be accessed from the last two non-tolled exits on NC-147, whereas RTP is accessed from the next two exits on I-40 beyond NC-147.

jay8g

The Montlake Bridge in Seattle is currently closed for an extended period to replace the metal grate bridge deck. Instead of saying anything helpful about that, this VMS on the main north approach to the bridge was displaying "MONTLAKE BRIDGE LOWERED - TRAFFIC CLEARING" when I went by it yesterday. That's the message that it would normally display after the bridge was raised for boat traffic. Presumably there's some sort of automated process that displays that message, but still -- not very helpful.

Katavia

Week or two ago on 74 east heading out of Charlotte:

DO YOU
LIKE CHRISTMAS
LIGHTS?
WE DO TOO

BLUE
LIGHT
SPECIAL

FOR
ALL
SPEEDERS

SPEED
LIMIT

The first set was in squish-o-vision text size so all 4 lines could fit. This VMS is set up under a bridge semi-permanently and has a twin on the other side of said overpass facing the WB direction, usually displaying the same or similar messaging. I recall it saying something about "0 fatalities so far, don't be the first one" at some time around New Year's 2020.
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Katavia on December 10, 2021, 01:00:21 AM

DO YOU
LIKE CHRISTMAS
LIGHTS?
WE DO TOO

BLUE
LIGHT
SPECIAL

FOR
ALL
SPEEDERS

SPEED
LIMIT

The first set was in squish-o-vision text size so all 4 lines could fit. This VMS is set up under a bridge semi-permanently and has a twin on the other side of said overpass facing the WB direction, usually displaying the same or similar messaging. I recall it saying something about "0 fatalities so far, don't be the first one" at some time around New Year's 2020.

That one is way too long. It's trying to cram in multiple references when that's not necessary.

Also, it's not necessary to have the speed limit listed on the VMS.

empirestate

Quote from: Katavia on December 10, 2021, 01:00:21 AM

DO YOU
LIKE CHRISTMAS
LIGHTS?
WE DO TOO

BLUE
LIGHT
SPECIAL

FOR
ALL
SPEEDERS

SPEED
LIMIT

Ah yes, there's always that one weird house in the neighborhood with the all-blue Christmas lights. :confused:

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Richard3

From Samuel Woolwine, on Freewayjim's Facebook page.

- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

SkyPesos

Was trying to find if OhioDOT VMS messages are posted online somewhere (there were some absurd Christmas related ones this month), but found this site instead, if anyone wants to suggest a VMS message to ODOT.

Big John

kphoger

Quote from: Big John on April 03, 2022, 08:02:54 PM
https://memeguy.com/photo/352069/an-aprils-fool-idea-from-utah-dot

FUN PRANK:
DRIVE THE SPEED
LIMIT FOR ONCE

Wasn't there a story several years ago about a couple of drivers doing that in Ontario?  They drove the speed limit, side by side, for many miles, and it made a huge mess of traffic?  Sounds like the sort of prank that shouldn't be encouraged...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

The one I remember was by Atlanta around 2005.  Taking up multiple lanes of I-285, traffic was backed up behind them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoETMCosULQ

JoePCool14

Quote from: Big John on April 04, 2022, 10:58:51 AM
The one I remember was by Atlanta around 2005.  Taking up multiple lanes of I-285, traffic was backed up behind them.

That 2005-esque video editing... no thank you.

The concept is hilarious but definitely not helpful either. Talk about the ultimate road rage generator.

GaryV

This weekend the portable VMS (aka construction VMS) signs on 13 Mile Rd in Madison Heights were warning that 13 Mile would be closed under I-75 on Friday 4/9. I don't know if anyone called it in and they are corrected now.

kalvado

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 04, 2022, 02:16:41 PM
Quote from: Big John on April 04, 2022, 10:58:51 AM

That 2005-esque video editing... no thank you.

The concept is hilarious but definitely not helpful either. Talk about the ultimate road rage generator.
More of a way to bring up the issue of artificial and unreasonable speed limits which are not obeyed to public discussion. Not too efficient one, as such speed limits are too dear to everyone involved.
Another similar concept - equally rage inflicting, but more useful - is to have some pacer cars which try to maintain constant speed and avoid density waves on busy highways. This video illustrates the problem:
https://youtu.be/Suugn-p5C1M
cost to run such pacers  is pretty high, though. 

frankenroad

Quote from: kalvado on April 04, 2022, 03:03:46 PM

More of a way to bring up the issue of artificial and unreasonable speed limits which are not obeyed to public discussion. Not too efficient one, as such speed limits are too dear to everyone involved.

I remember back in the mid-70s when the nationwide 55 MPH limit was first imposed, some drivers in Michigan did this.  IIRC, the ensuing back-up was over 12 miles long.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

SidS1045

We had a few VMS messages in the Boston area themed for yesterday's date (May 4th):

THERE IS NO TRY
-------------------
FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT YOU WILL

THE KESSEL RUN IN 12 PARSECS IS TOO FAST
----------------------------------------------------
DROP OUT OF LIGHT SPEED
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

JoePCool14

Quote from: SidS1045 on May 05, 2022, 11:25:22 AM
We had a few VMS messages in the Boston area themed for yesterday's date (May 4th):

THERE IS NO TRY
-------------------

DROP OUT OF LIGHT SPEED

As someone who basically knows nothing about Star Wars, both of these VMS messages do nothing more than to confuse me.

Rothman

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 05, 2022, 11:47:24 PM

THERE IS NO TRY
-------------------

DROP OUT OF LIGHT SPEED

As someone who basically knows nothing about Star Wars, both of these VMS messages do nothing more than to confuse me.
Sounds like you need to learn about Star Wars.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

empirestate

Quote from: Rothman on May 06, 2022, 06:47:42 AM

THERE IS NO TRY
-------------------

DROP OUT OF LIGHT SPEED

This would also describe my life, except with SNL references.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on May 06, 2022, 06:47:42 AM

THERE IS NO TRY
-------------------

DROP OUT OF LIGHT SPEED

Or the department needs to choose between the following two options:

(a)  A large subset of the population won't understand this message, so–in the interest of public safety–we should stop trying to be cute.

(b)  These messages have no real impact on safety anyway, so we should stop displaying nanny messages.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.