News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Former End of I-70

Started by TravelingBethelite, September 19, 2015, 10:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TravelingBethelite

I'm going down that way mid-October. Is (Cooks Blvd to) I-70 still accessible via Cooks Lane and the Park-and-Ride? I can't ascertain via satellite/GMSV, as the imagery is circa April 2012. If not, we can still use Ingleside Ave/I-695. Just want to "know before I go." Knowledge is much appreciated  :colorful:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

mattpedersen

It appears that all movements are intact per Google Maps. What direction do you plan on coming at it?

TravelingBethelite

Westbound via U.S. 40 to Cooks Lane NW to the Park and Ride.

cpzilliacus

Nothing has changed, and since the administration of Gov. Larry Hogan, Jr. (R) has cancelled the proposed Baltimore Red Line, I do not see much in the way of changes coming anytime soon.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

TheOneKEA

The only change I've noticed is the increased attempts by the police to block off the unused portions of the carriageways to keep the street racing crowd away. Otherwise it is intact and still in use as a Park and Ride.

TravelingBethelite

My main question is that if one can still access WB I-70 via the P & R.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on September 19, 2015, 02:26:44 PM
My main question is that if one can still access WB I-70 via the P & R.

Yes.  Was there recently.  Started by clinch of all of I-70 from there about a year ago.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Has I-70 indeed been decommissioned to that point, then? I knew there was a plan to remove the segment inside I-695 from the Interstate system, but I didn't know whether it had actually been executed. I suppose it'd reduce the small amount of missing Interstate mileage I have in Maryland by a minuscule amount.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TravelingBethelite

1995hoo

Thanks. Not that it would stop me from driving it and considering it part of I-70, of course!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 19, 2015, 02:09:24 PM
Nothing has changed, and since the administration of Gov. Larry Hogan, Jr. (R) has cancelled the proposed Baltimore Red Line, I do not see much in the way of changes coming anytime soon.
I think that even without the rail line, they should go ahead and rebuild the road as planned, unless Cooks Blvd was indeed part of the Red Line plans, that is.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 19, 2015, 04:46:48 PM
Thanks. Not that it would stop me from driving it and considering it part of I-70, of course!

It was still signed as continuing east from I-695 as of last Saturday...

Mike

The Ghostbuster

Would it be possible to downgrade the Security Blvd. interchange into a signaled intersection? Since Interstate 70 will never go any further east, the existing interchange seems like overkill.

Henry

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 24, 2015, 03:33:57 PM
Would it be possible to downgrade the Security Blvd. interchange into a signaled intersection? Since Interstate 70 will never go any further east, the existing interchange seems like overkill.
That was part of the Red Line plan, but since it's now dead, I don't see those changes coming anytime soon. In any event, Cooks Blvd should be built anyway, with modifications to connect it to Cooks Lane as presented in the Red Line proposal.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 19, 2015, 02:09:24 PM

I guess this counts as "nothing has changed."
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

TravelingBethelite

Is the "I-70" shield peeling off?

signalman

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on September 29, 2015, 11:12:14 AM
It appears that way, but I think it's just a shadow that's cast over most of the shield.  In any case, that sign is a beauty.

lepidopteran

Although I-70 was still signed in both directions from the I-695 stack interchange last time I checked (with EB having a control city of "Local Traffic" -- sounds like a nice town!), there's that sign on I-70 EB that explicitly reads
"I-70 ENDS AT I-695".

TheOneKEA

Quote from: lepidopteran on September 29, 2015, 02:07:55 PM
Although I-70 was still signed in both directions from the I-695 stack interchange last time I checked (with EB having a control city of "Local Traffic" -- sounds like a nice town!), there's that sign on I-70 EB that explicitly reads
"I-70 ENDS AT I-695".

That sign is at least 10 years old, and possibly even older than that.

Alps

Yes. It started life as a 70N shield.

Alex

Quote from: TheOneKEA on September 29, 2015, 05:56:11 PM
Quote from: lepidopteran on September 29, 2015, 02:07:55 PM
"I-70 ENDS AT I-695".

That sign is at least 10 years old, and possibly even older than that.

I photographed it originally in July 2000.

The same sign in 2013:

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Alps on September 29, 2015, 07:03:17 PM

and if you look reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal closely, you can see a ghost
"N" to the right of the "0"
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

TheOneKEA

I would like to ask the SHA what their medium-term plans are for the I-70/695 stack interchange. Every time I pass through the interchange it looks more and more worn and beat up by its unusual traffic flow, and I would like to know if the cancellation of the Red Line and the associated works for Cooks Boulevard will make it less likely that the interchange will see any major repair or refurbishment works anytime soon. Once I figure out who to contact, I plan on asking the question.

I still think that the interchange needs to be converted to a clover stack, especially with the official removal of the three miles east of the Beltway from the Interstate system, so that the actual flow through the interchange is better served.

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on September 29, 2015, 11:44:25 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 29, 2015, 07:03:17 PM

and if you look reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal closely, you can see a ghost
"N" to the right of the "0"

I wonder if the shield is "peeling" off because someone tried to steal it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.