News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Contradictory signs

Started by Zeffy, December 17, 2015, 09:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Quote from: roadman65 on November 09, 2021, 01:33:47 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/zJWHjTv7HEuwhz7b6

Which way is NJ Route 3 east here?

The sign on the right should probably have "LOCAL EXITS" in yellow to distinguish between the two Route 3's.  Both ramps go to Route 3, but the left ramp joins route 3 from the left, making it difficult to merge to an exit, if someone needs to exit within the next 2 miles.

roadfro

Quote from: GaryA on November 09, 2021, 01:46:42 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/XRfq9i57FLKQujwZ8

Would the real Exit 1D please stand up?

Gawd, the layout of that Alameda sign is atrocious. Even within the constraints of Caltrans signing practices, they could have done better...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

PurdueBill

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 30, 2021, 09:16:01 PM
Noticed this on the way to classes today. So do I follow the bike signal or the pedestrian signal?

The 8-8-8 bike signals that they added this year are nice signals, but if one is actually riding a bike on the bike path, one waits forever at each intersection for the exclusive WALK phase unless one manages to hit them just right.  Almost better to ride in the street and follow the regular signals.
At least they figured out eventually that having a vehicle (bike) follow the pedestrian signals was stupid.  Now they can take the signs down....

JMoses24

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 11, 2021, 10:46:10 PM
My wife just got a job in Oklahoma City, which she isn't very familiar with driving-wise (usually when we go up to the city I drive). Today, she went up there, which led to this exchange:
(Image clipped)
She's southbound on Meridian Avenue at I-40. Technically contradictory, although you can kind of grok OKC's/ODOT's intent when you've been through a few interchanges set up this way. But still, there is no signage indicating that the "left turn" here is for the eastbound I-40 service road (and thus the eastbound I-40 ramp) after the bridge.

As is my tendency when I run across a squirrelly ODOT practice, I went to check how KDOT handles the same sort of situation, and it's much clearer (southbound 78th Street at I-70 in Kansas City):
(Image clipped)

Can confirm. Walker Avenue southbound approaching I-240's westbound service road has a one way sign...but the left turn lane is marked on the NORTH side of I-240. Unless I-240's service roads are planned for two-way conversion (and I have seen zero to substantiate that being the case), following the lane marking would lead to a head on collision with westbound service road traffic.

bzakharin

Not technically a road sign, but on county property off a county route

Pixel 4a

Scott5114

Not contradictory at all–they'll watch you lose your items or watch people steal them...and not do anything about it. But they have it on tape, so they can relive the experience over and over!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ran4sh

More like the county's not responsible, but if the surveillance video can be used as evidence by the county against a private party then it will.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

andrepoiy

This directional sign tells you that the commuter train station is straight ahead! Except that... this road is also bus-only...

mrsman

Quote from: andrepoiy on June 21, 2022, 10:30:53 PM
This directional sign tells you that the commuter train station is straight ahead! Except that... this road is also bus-only...

That's not necessarily contradictory.  I would imagine the sign is meant for pedestrians and it is showing the walking path to the station, not the driving path.  There seems to be another entrance to the west that allows entry to the parking garage.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.