News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

MD 30 Hampstead bypass

Started by treichard, October 05, 2009, 12:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treichard

This evening I got a chance to check out the completed bypass.  I won't assume it's unique in its construction, but I haven't seen one quite like it before.

There are 3 roundabouts: one at MD 482 in the middle and one at each end of Business MD 30, the new designation for the old, straight route through the town.  Between each pair of adjacent roundabouts, the bypass has 2+2 divided lanes that quickly narrow down to 1+1 undivided lanes, then expand back to 2+2 divided lanes to approach the next roundabout.  

Quick schematic:
--==(R)==---------------==(R)==---------------==(R)==-

I wondered if this was the original plan, or if the bypass was scaled down, rather than being built as 2+2 divided the whole way. There was an overpass over a 2-lane section of the bypass that clearly couldn't house a 2nd pair of lanes.  I enjoyed the speed limit of 55, the near lack of traffic after dark on a Sunday evening, and roundabouts instead of traffic lights.

A similar bypass around Hanover to the north would do wonders for PA 94 as well.
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

leifvanderwall

I think roundabouts are going to be very common across the country. In Benton Harbor, MI. a new BL 94 is going to have two roundabouts where there used to be signals. Not only are roundabouts supposed to save time, but it will make traffic signals become obsolete. It's a money and an electric power saving mechanism.

treichard

The part that I hadn't seen before was the  flipping back and forth between single and dual carriageways so much.  Was it low traffic demand with an expectation of needing more lanes in the future or was it inadequate funding that kept the bypass from being fully 2+2 lanes?
Clinched Highway Mapping

froggie

Hampstead is not the only location where SHA has done this.  The new roundabout at US 15/MD 464 near Point of Rocks has short 4-lane segments on both US 15 approaches...

treichard

The business route here through Hampstead is well marked with green and white signs for Business MD 30.  "BUSINESS" is placed on its own white-on-green banner between the green-on-white direction banner and the green-on-white MD 30 shield. So reading down a "NORTH / BUSINESS / MD30" sign assembly, the colors invert for each sign.
Clinched Highway Mapping

MDRoads

Quote from: treichard on November 25, 2009, 08:11:44 PM
The business route here through Hampstead is well marked with green and white signs for Business MD 30.  "BUSINESS" is placed on its own white-on-green banner between the green-on-white direction banner and the green-on-white MD 30 shield. So reading down a "NORTH / BUSINESS / MD30" sign assembly, the colors invert for each sign.

Here you go....  don't know if they changed the black Business 30 marker at the southern end yet.  It's regular black shields on the guide signs out on the bypass.

Alps

Quote from: treichard on November 25, 2009, 08:11:44 PM
At least they've got the color scheme set, unlike Business US 1.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on October 05, 2009, 05:12:31 PM
Hampstead is not the only location where SHA has done this.  The new roundabout at US 15/MD 464 near Point of Rocks has short 4-lane segments on both US 15 approaches...

Think this also happens on NY 85's Slingerlands Bypass.

froggie

QuoteThink this also happens on NY 85's Slingerlands Bypass.

Only at the north end as you head towards the original freeway construction at the Thruway.  Otherwise, NY 85 is fully 4 lanes in between each roundabout.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on January 04, 2010, 10:36:13 PM

Only at the north end as you head towards the original freeway construction at the Thruway.  Otherwise, NY 85 is fully 4 lanes in between each roundabout.

Accepted.  I may have been remembering a phase between when the bypass opened and when construction was completed, or I may just be wrong.

Ian

Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 06, 2010, 07:38:21 PM
Quote from: froggie on January 04, 2010, 10:36:13 PM

Accepted.  I may have been remembering a phase between when the bypass opened and when construction was completed, or I may just be wrong.

I heard plans there were going to extend the dualization of NY 85 from its current dualization end to the Slingerlands roundabouts. Is this true? I went by there this past Thanksgiving and there was an empty roadbed alongside NY 85 between Krumkill Rd to the roundabouts which looks as if they are widening it. Just making sure.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

Quote from: PennDOTFan on January 06, 2010, 10:03:45 PM

I heard plans there were going to extend the dualization of NY 85 from its current dualization end to the Slingerlands roundabouts. Is this true? I went by there this past Thanksgiving and there was an empty roadbed alongside NY 85 between Krumkill Rd to the roundabouts which looks as if they are widening it. Just making sure.
Froggie's got me scared to reply now ;-) but I think that's just there reserved in case it's ever needed.

Ian

Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 07, 2010, 09:24:54 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on January 06, 2010, 10:03:45 PM

Froggie's got me scared to reply now ;-) but I think that's just there reserved in case it's ever needed.

I see. I don't really see a reason to widen it, traffic is fine as it is. Heck, it was fine even before the circles and rerouting.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.