What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

2nd day in a row of brilliant sunshine. I'm just enjoying it since that's pretty rare in Jan/Feb in these parts. (It's still cold, of course, but bearable.)

7/8

The morning started around 4 C (39 F) and rain, then by about 10 am dropped to 0 C (32 F) and snow. We're expecting 15-25 cm (6-10") of snow by tomorrow.

jgb191

Today's highs for South Texas (before another frigid blast tomorrow):

Corpus Christi:  Temp 79, heat index 80
Laredo:  Temp 80, heat index 82
McAllen:  Temp 82, heat index 86
Brownsville:  Temp 81, heat index 84.

Trying to make the most of this mild weather while I can, before its gets really cold again.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

NWI_Irish96

Up over a foot of snow now here and still going for at least another couple hours. At least we didn't get the ice, but the snow is falling faster than the plows can get it cleared.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ozarkman417

Missouri's entire stretch of I-44 is expected to be covered by 5-9 inches of snow, which starts in about an hour. The highest expected snow amounts from this round of snow follow the corridor. Thus far in Springfield, all I have received is a thin layer of ice and sleet. There is a two in three chance that Springfield will receive at least six inches of snow over the next 24 hours.

webny99

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 02, 2022, 04:28:35 PM
Up over a foot of snow now here and still going for at least another couple hours. At least we didn't get the ice, but the snow is falling faster than the plows can get it cleared.

It's just starting here, with about an inch so far on top of the ~foot we still had on the ground. It was above 40° yesterday and only 32° now, so it's very wet and sticky snow, the kind that looks beautiful, surreal almost, when it's fresh.

JayhawkCO

Currently -7° here.  Sunny though after yesterday having it snow all day.

Buck87

Winter Storm Warning.

24F and snowing. Around 4-5" of snow on the ground since last night, another 5-8 possible today. 

jlam

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jlam on February 03, 2022, 10:32:44 AM
White-out conditions, -15 F

That sucks.  Not a cloud in the sky down here.

J N Winkler

Here in Wichita we received about six inches of snow.  The storm appears to have moved on, though we aren't due to see temperatures above freezing until tomorrow.  Because the precipitation started as rain, brine pretreatment was not an option, and KDOT's statewide public-affairs person has said that the agency's snowplow operators have essentially been forced to bash off ice and packed snow in a slow process that has left the bulk of the state highway system marked as completely snow-covered as of last night.

This is what I-235 near me looked like at about 10:39 PM yesterday.

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

We received the same storm, although it is still ongoing as of 2pm the following day.

I-44 at SW 59th Street in Oklahoma City (ODOT has no traffic cams in Norman for no apparent reason):
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 03, 2022, 03:10:58 PM
We received the same storm, although it is still ongoing as of 2pm the following day.

I-44 at SW 59th Street in Oklahoma City (ODOT has no traffic cams in Norman for no apparent reason):

Not a ton of surprise, but your roads are definitely worse than ours were with the same storm.

webny99

It seems crazy that folks in KS/OK/TX are getting the same storm that I'm getting. It appears to be a very slow moving storm. The live cams on the Thruway (link below) show mostly clear roads, and traffic seems to be moving at speed, although the roads are definitely snow covered up here closer to the lake.

https://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/map/text/twytextcameras.cgi?region=BUI90E

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

J N Winkler

The current storm system has resulted in predicted snow along an unbroken line extending northeast from Crockett County, Texas (near the Rio Grande) to Aroostook County, Maine.

When I was doing my tour of traffic cameras last night, I noticed KC Scout was showing long lengths of I-35, I-435, and US 69 with all lanes 100% clear on the Kansas side.  Per Wunderground, precipitation started in the KC area as light snow, not rain, so I suspect this was a contributing factor.

I fear the problem of ice underneath snow will become more prevalent due to climate change.  In Kansas the dividing line between Köppen climate zones Cfa (covering much of the South) and Dfa (covering much of the Old Northwest) used to be right along the I-70 corridor, with a tripoint with the BSk zone (arid steppe, covering much of the West just east of the Rockies) around Hays.  Recent maps show the Cfa/Dfa boundary right at the Nebraska state line.

This said, I did manage to shovel my driveway completely clear yesterday.  Albedo reduction proved to be effective even with full cloud cover, ambient temperature in the teens, and a 20 MPH wind out of the northwest.  As long as there is daylight and driveway concrete can peek through after the shovel passes, the remaining snow and ice will melt.   Unfortunately, there was some added snow and drifting, and the driveway did not dry out completely before sunset, so there are now patches of glare ice.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

webny99

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 03, 2022, 05:04:40 PM
The current storm system has resulted in predicted snow along an unbroken line extending northeast from Crockett County, Texas (near the Rio Grande) to Aroostook County, Maine.

Come to think of it, this follows an almost identical path to the 2024 solar eclipse which will happen approx. 2 years + 2 months from now.

Bruce

Mid 40s and overcast. Should get slightly warmer over the weekend.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 03, 2022, 06:47:21 PM
Very rainy today

Rain on top of snow gets my vote for the most disgusting weather.

GreenLanternCorps

Rain, then freezing rain, then sleet, then snow here in Cincinnati...

webny99

With the current storm system, Pittsburgh appears to be just south of the boundary between rain and snow:

So I looked up their weather out of curiosity and found this gem: "Unknown Precip/Fog/Mist"  :-D :-D

webny99

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on February 03, 2022, 06:58:09 PM
Rain, then freezing rain, then sleet, then snow here in Cincinnati...

Wow. And apparently, a ton of road closures too?

Ted$8roadFan

Rainy, turning to freezing rain/sleet later on.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.