News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

We've been having a mini-heatwave the past couple days in Salt Lake City, with a high of 97 both yesterday and the day before. Dewpoints are in the 40s, which isn't high by eastern standards but you absolutely notice if you're not used to it. I went hiking the other day and I sweat way more than I usually do at these temperatures here.

Today should be similar, but then a mega cold front is supposed to move through after tonight with some rain showers. We may not break 70 tomorrow.

jgb191

Slightly above normal for mid-June, but still more of the same temperature as we've seen the past few months:

Yesterday's temperatures (+/- degrees above/below normal in parentheses):

Brownsville:      102 high (+6), 81 low (+4)
Corpus Christi:  101 high (+7), 82 low (+2)
Laredo:            107 high (+8), 78 low (+1)
McAllen:           106 high (+8), 80 low (+2)

We've been holding steady at these temperatures since late April.  Robstown and Kingsville in particular registered a heat index of 116 degrees (I can recall about a month ago HI was in the low 120s).  The breezy conditions though really kept the heat quite tolerable with wind gusts between 20 and 25 MPH.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Bruce

Dumping rain in the high 50s.

Brief signs of summer here and there, but so far it's been all Juneuary.

Ted$8roadFan

ET21

Got our first legit heat wave of the season. Mid-upper 90s Tues-Thurs with heat indices above 100
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

hotdogPi

This is a crosspost.

Quote from: thspfc on June 13, 2022, 10:51:19 PM
Quote from: Bruce on June 13, 2022, 04:12:11 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 13, 2022, 03:49:08 PM
Normally the World Cup would be running now. But since this year it's played in Hell, they are waiting for that to cool down a bit.

To be fair, even if the US had won the right to host in 2022, the temperatures wouldn't be much better in many cities. (Doha is currently in the 90s, but will be in the 110s soon)

https://twitter.com/pkedit/status/1536424648841175041
It's like the hottest day of the year in the US 💀 is this guy serious?

Here, the high was 84 yesterday. The hottest day I'm seeing in the forecast ahead is 86, and that's also a day with thunderstorms (not at the same time, obviously). Is Massachusetts just not getting it?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on June 14, 2022, 06:14:02 AM
Here, the high was 84 yesterday. The hottest day I'm seeing in the forecast ahead is 86, and that's also a day with thunderstorms (not at the same time, obviously). Is Massachusetts just not getting it?

It hasn't even hit the 80s yet here in Western Washington/Southern BC. And I don't see any indications that it will soon.

kkt

Quote from: jakeroot on June 14, 2022, 11:17:01 AM
Quote from: 1 on June 14, 2022, 06:14:02 AM

It hasn't even hit the 80s yet here in Western Washington/Southern BC. And I don't see any indications that it will soon.

On Sunday there was 2-3 inches of snow at Paradise, Washington (elev. 5000 feet).  There are pictures from the webcam.

JayhawkCO

Only a high of 84 today which is a nice respite after three straight days of 99 or higher.

Billy F 1988

54 with clouds and breezy in Missoula. We've been having a wet early June lately. This rain will clear up by the end of the week approaching near low-90's in some spots. But then, thunderstorms bring a return chance of rain Saturday night.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

ET21

Day 2 of this short heat wave. We hit 100 degrees for the first time in 10 years yesterday
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

hotdogPi

Quote from: ET21 on June 15, 2022, 11:31:33 AM
Day 2 of this short heat wave. We hit 100 degrees for the first time in 10 years yesterday

Again, my location is always two days after Chicago... but it's only getting up to 86 that day here, surrounded by days with highs in the 70s.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

thspfc

Tornado watch this evening. I feel the storm blowing in but it's still sunny and 90s now. We'll see if this storm is as bad as Monday, when we got golf ball hail.

thspfc

Quote from: thspfc on June 15, 2022, 05:03:05 PM
Tornado watch this evening. I feel the storm blowing in but it's still sunny and 90s now. We'll see if this storm is as bad as Monday, when we got golf ball hail.
Major tornado outbreaks roughly along the WI-21 corridor.

thspfc

Quote from: thspfc on June 15, 2022, 06:49:54 PM
Well today was a closer shave with tornadoes than I thought I would ever have. I work on the north side of Sun Prairie. Today I was scheduled to work until 7. The breeze picked up around 2, the sky started to darken around 5, by 6:30 it looked like it was coming any minute. I was watching the radar, left early at 6:40. As I was walking to my car, it was that still moment where the wind stops right before the heavy rain starts. First raindrop hit the windshield at 6:45. When I got home at 6:50 it was pouring, and the tornado warning was issued a minute later at 6:51 . . . for the storm that was passing directly over where I work, and then along US-151 towards Columbus. A tornado formed over western and northern Sun Prairie but it thankfully never touched down.

All in all, it ended up being a weaker storm than Monday where I am in terms of appearance to the naked eye. But large parts of the state were hit today by stronger winds and tornadoes that actually touched down.

hobsini2

Quote from: thspfc on June 15, 2022, 11:27:12 PM
Quote from: thspfc on June 15, 2022, 06:49:54 PM
Well today was a closer shave with tornadoes than I thought I would ever have. I work on the north side of Sun Prairie. Today I was scheduled to work until 7. The breeze picked up around 2, the sky started to darken around 5, by 6:30 it looked like it was coming any minute. I was watching the radar, left early at 6:40. As I was walking to my car, it was that still moment where the wind stops right before the heavy rain starts. First raindrop hit the windshield at 6:45. When I got home at 6:50 it was pouring, and the tornado warning was issued a minute later at 6:51 . . . for the storm that was passing directly over where I work, and then along US-151 towards Columbus. A tornado formed over western and northern Sun Prairie but it thankfully never touched down.

All in all, it ended up being a weaker storm than Monday where I am in terms of appearance to the naked eye. But large parts of the state were hit today by stronger winds and tornadoes that actually touched down.

I was watching the weather yesterday morning when SPC put out the enhanced risk out for almost all of Wisconsin. I did my composite maps by 11:30. If I was able to chase, my target area was going to be Juneau County north-northwest of the Dells. I made Mauston to Necedah my call. The nose of the 500mb shortwave mixed in with the mid 70 dewpoints had that area primed. The only question was when the Cap was going to break. It did about 3 pm. The Tomah-Wyeville tornado was on the ground by 420 pm.  Judging by some of the drone damage footage I saw, I would not be surprised if it is rated high EF2 or low EF3.

There was also widespread wind damage that hit 2 towns I used to live in as a kid. Wautoma and Princeton. I heard there was going to be a damage survey today or tomorrow to determine if that was straight line wind damage or a tornado.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Billy F 1988

Currently 70 with some nasty thunderstorms. Severe T-Storm warnings out for Northern Ravalli, Northern Missoula and Southern Lake County. Severe Thunder Storm Watch 390 in effect until 7 PM MDT.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Ted$8roadFan

In the 60s and cold for mid-June in southern New England. The heat actually came on last night.

Bruce

Ran into some monsoon conditions last night. Still mostly overcast and not getting above the mid-60s for now.

jakeroot

Finally looking warming for Seattle, though. I'm seeing forecast highs into the mid 80s next weekend, and pretty much no rain in the forecast and lots of sun.

FINALLY.

jgb191

Temperatures are nothing unusual to end the Spring season:

Nighttime Lows between the upper-70s and mid-80s.  Galveston, Texas in particular may fail to drop below 86 degrees in the next 48 hours.  Daytime Highs between upper 90s and low 100s.

Some clouds will form due to the moderate level of moisture and heat, but the probability of any thunderstorms will be low.  A few isolated storms may spring up every now and then, but will promptly dissipate within an hour.

After an above normal spring, some forecasts suggest a slightly below normal summer.  Laredo normally sees about 70 to 75 days of triple-digit days per year, but are already more than half-way there with 41 days of 100+ degrees so far for 2022, with summer yet to even start (and our usual hottest month is still ahead in August).  In that same respect, that city averages 180 days (half the year), at 90+ degrees a year and already are at 96 such days so far this year.

kphoger

The high temp hasn't been below 93°F since June 10.  I'm looking forward to Wednesday, because it should provide a little bit of a "break" by only getting up to 92.  Friday's forecast high is 104.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CoreySamson

No rain outside of a couple of drizzles has fallen in the past month or so here in my south Houston exurb, and no rain is in the forecast. Also, it has been very hot, even for here. Usually high temperatures this time of year average about 91 degrees or so; this week is pretty much all in the mid to high 90s. But this weekend, the temperature is projected to get up to 101, which is surprisingly rare for the coastal Houston area. It's quite a sharp contrast when compared to last year where we got our first 90 degree day around this time. Extreme drought is happening right now and it will likely become worse over the next few weeks, potentially rivaling 2011's drought.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

jgb191

^ Get used to the triple-digits, it's going to stay that way every day for the next week or so in your part of the state.  Next weekend the Houston area will be seeing mid-100s and you might not drop below 80 at night.  Galveston's overnight lows won't be dropping below low-80s any time soon.

US 89

We've had a wild week of weather here in northern Utah. We had our first 100 degree day of the year about a week ago, getting up to 102 with lows above 70 thanks to warm desert southwest winds in advance of a storm system that delivered a little rain and knocked temps down quite a bit to lows in the 40s. (That was the same system that flooded Yellowstone.)

This weekend was essentially a repeat of that but with stronger impacts around here. Thursday and Friday both reached the 100 degree mark with lows in the 70s, this time with much stronger south winds - enough for a high wind warning. Those winds kicked up a ton of dust, which actually helped bring the temps down a bit on Saturday, and it was so thick on I-80 across the salt flats that the NWS issued a rare dust storm warning there. Yesterday was cooler still and had a little more monsoon moisture especially in the eastern part of the state, so storms over there produced some flash flooding and even up to half dollar size hail in the Price area. Northwest Utah had less moisture, but that meant the storms that did form there produced dry microbursts over 75 mph at some sites. Both the large-scale winds and storm outflows have fanned several wildfires and grass fires across the state over the past few days, one of which closed I-80 for a time yesterday. But anything that started recently in the northern half of the state is almost certainly out now - this morning, I woke up to thunder and lightning at 5am, which was followed by several hours of rain. It even got cold enough for some snow to stick above ~6500 feet.

No more storms for a bit, but highs will be back in the 90s in a couple days and then we may be looking at another early monsoon surge event with more chances for afternoon thunderstorms by the end of the week. Huge swings like this are not uncommon in the west, but I don't think I remember having anything similar after the middle of June here. It's not often that we get strong mid-latitude systems interacting with monsoon moisture, and when we do it's usually at the tail end of summer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.