News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

68 seems quite high for a minimum. Is it different in states that get a lot colder?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on May 11, 2022, 10:26:36 AM
68 seems quite high for a minimum. Is it different in states that get a lot colder?

Kansas is just slightly lower.

Because the power company told everyone to turn the temperature down in their homes during last year's Coldpocalypse™, we almost but didn't quite hit the minimum.  I'm pretty sure we got down below 68°F, though.

Quote from: kphoger on August 09, 2021, 06:21:00 PM

Quote from: Kansas Department of Health and Environment
Kansas Laws and Regulations for Licensing Day Care Homes and Group Day Care Homes for Children
  VI. Regulations for Licensing Day Care Homes and Group Day Care Homes for Children
    K.A.R. 28-4-115. Facility.
      (c) General environmental requirements.

Each facility shall have 25 square feet of available play space per child and shall be constructed, arranged, and maintained to provide for the health and safety of children in care. Each applicant, each applicant with a temporary permit, and each licensee shall ensure that the facility meets the following requirements:

(14) is maintained at a temperature of not less than 65 degrees Fahrenheit and not more than 85 degrees Fahrenheit in the play area;

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2022, 09:33:18 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 10, 2022, 07:07:02 PM
I'll have to tell my wife we keep the house one degree above legally mandated daycare temperatures for Kansas during the summer.

Will that help you win an argument?   :-P

If it was up to her we would never have it on.  She claims 93-97F in the house didn't bother her last year when the coolant line on the AC was leaking.

LilianaUwU

It's 25 C (77 F) outside and it sure as hell feels like it.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kphoger

Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 12, 2022, 03:13:56 PM
It's 25 C (77 F) outside and it sure as hell feels like it.

Nice!  I always love it when the heat index is the same as the actual temperature.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on May 11, 2022, 10:38:09 AM

Quote from: 1 on May 11, 2022, 10:26:36 AM

Kansas is just slightly lower.

Because the power company told everyone to turn the temperature down in their homes during last year's Coldpocalypse™, we almost but didn't quite hit the minimum.  I'm pretty sure we got down below 68°F, though.

Quote from: kphoger on August 09, 2021, 06:21:00 PM

Quote from: Kansas Department of Health and Environment
Kansas Laws and Regulations for Licensing Day Care Homes and Group Day Care Homes for Children
  VI. Regulations for Licensing Day Care Homes and Group Day Care Homes for Children
    K.A.R. 28-4-115. Facility.
      (c) General environmental requirements.

Each facility shall have 25 square feet of available play space per child and shall be constructed, arranged, and maintained to provide for the health and safety of children in care. Each applicant, each applicant with a temporary permit, and each licensee shall ensure that the facility meets the following requirements:

(14) is maintained at a temperature of not less than 65 degrees Fahrenheit and not more than 85 degrees Fahrenheit in the play area;

I should point out that the California regulation also applies in places like Alturas, which has an average January high temperature of 41.6°F and an average January low temperature of 16.5°F.
Male pronouns, please.

Ted$8roadFan

Sunny, humid, mid-80s. We went from April to July in 36 hours.

jgb191

Still remaining consistently warm in South Texas as it has been the last several weeks:

Brownsville:       98 high, 76 low
Corpus Christi:  101 high, 73 low
Laredo:            106 high, 75 low
McAllen:           104 high, 74 low

Sunny skies for most of the region, which means moderate humidity/dew points.  Hopefully the heat index will stay south of 110 degrees this week.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

7/8

We went from very summer-like weather last week with highs in the upper 20's and now falling back down to a high of 14C (57F) and a low of 2C (36F). The weather so far looks mediocre for the long weekend with rain in the forecast. We'll see how it goes, but May Two-Four feels cursed. :-D

kphoger

Quote from: snowc on May 17, 2022, 01:46:43 PM
We have a portable HVAC unit and its 69 in here! Other rooms are in the 70s!

I'm not sure which of those two statements you expect us to be shocked by, because you used exclamation points for both of them, but...

Since having the a/c unit recharged last week, my wife and I have been tweaking the thermostat temperature, finding the perfect balance between comfort and electricity/Freon usage.  Right now, we have it set to 77°F, and we're doing fine.
Male pronouns, please.

Bruce

Temperatures still in the 50s with rain mixed in with overcast days.

However, I'm starting to look around at portable ACs because I don't want a repeat of last year, in which a little unit I bought struggled to cool my room down to under 90F overnight. A permanent unit is impossible for multiple reasons and the contractors are booked solid through the year because everyone got fed up with not having AC.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 17, 2022, 02:39:08 PM
Quote from: snowc on May 17, 2022, 01:46:43 PM
We have a portable HVAC unit and its 69 in here! Other rooms are in the 70s!

I'm not sure which of those two statements you expect us to be shocked by, because you used exclamation points for both of them, but...

Since having the a/c unit recharged last week, my wife and I have been tweaking the thermostat temperature, finding the perfect balance between comfort and electricity/Freon usage.  Right now, we have it set to 77°F, and we're doing fine.

I have this sneaking suspicion snowc would be horrified by the fact our house was at 83F last night and they I have yet to turn the AC for the season (aside from a March test run).  I don't plan on turning the AC on until it gets to 87F, if my wife and I are comfortable then we still won't. 

ET21

Currently in another cooldown after a historic 4 day string of 90s last week. We get another 90 potentially Friday before really cooling off again this weekend.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jgb191

The heat keeps climbing up a couple of degrees more than in weeks past:

Brownsville:      100 high, 81 low
Corpus Christi:  102 high, 80 low
Laredo:            111 high, 82 low
McAllen:           108 high, 80 low

If the dew point remains consistent, then the Heat Index will result in mid 110s to low 120s; in particular towns in Starr County could be as high as 122 F (50 C).

kphoger

Summer is finally giving way to spring here.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

It was 88° yesterday and now it's 37° and about to snow 7". Awesome.

Ted$8roadFan

Bruce

Surprise thunderstorm tonight after a relatively warm spring day in the high 60s.

7/8

Today's (or technically yesterday's...) weather was exciting. The morning started off nice and sunny, then a thunderstorm rolled in, lasted about 10-15 minutes, but had such intense wind that it knocked off several trees in the area. The temperature dropped from 26 to 17C very quickly from the storm, before creeping up again once it cleared.

The power was out in our neighbourhood from noon until about midnight, which left us as one of the last spots in the city to get our power back. It was certainly annoying to check KWHydro's website, where it first predicted 3:30pm for restoring power, then 7:30, then 10:45, and finally 3:45am (though thankfully they beat that last time by quite a bit). Good to know for the future that those estimates don't mean much. :-D

LilianaUwU

There was a rare tornado watch issued in Québec City today. Right now (after the storm), it's 18 C and mostly cloudy.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

jgb191

That same cold front that brought frigid conditions up north also came through here sending our temperatures plunging to below-normal numbers for once:  Highs ranging from the mid-80s in Corpus Christi to around 90 degrees in Laredo.  And nighttime temperatures dropping from low 80s before the cold front to low 70s after the front passed.

webny99

Quote from: 7/8 on May 22, 2022, 12:55:43 AM
Today's (or technically yesterday's...) weather was exciting. The morning started off nice and sunny, then a thunderstorm rolled in, lasted about 10-15 minutes, but had such intense wind that it knocked off several trees in the area. The temperature dropped from 26 to 17C very quickly from the storm, before creeping up again once it cleared.

We got those T-storms too, but later on in the evening. I went out on the porch to watch for a bit - they were definitely some of the most powerful we've had in a while!

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on May 23, 2022, 08:15:57 AM

We got those T-storms too, but later on in the evening. I went out on the porch to watch for a bit - they were definitely some of the most powerful we've had in a while!

Interesting... It was from 9 PM to 11 PM here on the 22nd. Aren't we supposed to be about a day apart? In the past, my weather compared to this thread has been pretty reliably 1 day after webny99 and 2 days after anyone living in Chicago or the Milwaukee area. Maybe it was different because this storm moved northeast instead of just east?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on May 23, 2022, 08:20:21 AM
Quote from: webny99 on May 23, 2022, 08:15:57 AM

Interesting... It was from 9 PM to 11 PM here on the 22nd. Aren't we supposed to be about a day apart? In the past, my weather compared to this thread has been pretty reliably 1 day after webny99 and 2 days after anyone living in Chicago or the Milwaukee area. Maybe it was different because this storm moved northeast instead of just east?

Sorry, I should have clarified I was referring to Saturday. The storms passed through here at about 8 to 10 PM on Saturday, and it would have been earlier than that in the Kitchener area if they lost power around noon.

Ted$8roadFan

Back to normal for May, in the 50s -60s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.