News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Most Worthless Control Cities

Started by paulthemapguy, March 13, 2016, 12:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ran4sh

I believe I mentioned this in some other control city thread, but my opinion is that most motorists don't need control city designations to determine where to stop along the way for services. In the above example, they'll see that it is hundreds of miles to Wichita and know that they'll have to stop elsewhere, while still being informed how far it is to Wichita.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Scott5114

I-70 doesn't go through Wichita...

Seriously, man, before you stick with the opinion you have on this, you need to go to Google maps and spend a good 15 minutes or so looking at the corridor you're talking about. Measure some distances, drop a GSV pin and take a close look at the "elsewhere" you think might be a place you can stop.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ran4sh on November 20, 2021, 03:08:09 AM
I believe I mentioned this in some other control city thread, but my opinion is that most motorists don't need control city designations to determine where to stop along the way for services. In the above example, they'll see that it is hundreds of miles to Wichita and know that they'll have to stop elsewhere, while still being informed how far it is to Wichita.

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 20, 2021, 02:20:05 PM

Seriously, man, before you stick with the opinion you have on this, you need to go to Google maps and spend a good 15 minutes or so looking at the corridor you're talking about. Measure some distances, drop a GSV pin and take a close look at the "elsewhere" you think might be a place you can stop.

Specific examples notwithstanding, I think ran4sh's point still stands. I can't think of any reason why the need or availability of places to take a rest stop should affect control city choice, whether or not these places are thin on the ground.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jbnv

I mentioned earlier that Louisiana still uses Bay St. Louis as the control city on I-10 east from Slidell. I'm beginning to wonder if DOTD just hasn't bothered to rethink its control cities in light of the existence of the interstates. I nominate these two candidates in Baton Rouge for Most Worthless Control City: New Orleans for US 61 South and Hammond for US 190 East. C'mon, DOTD, people going to New Orleans or Hammond aren't taking US 61 and US 190 any more. US 61 South should use Prairieville or Gonzales and US 190 East should use Denham Springs.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Flint1979

He suggested earlier that Virginia uses Richmond and Washington for control cities on I-81.

ran4sh

It doesn't have to. Even in my own state of Georgia, I think the ideal control cities for I-75 south of Macon are cities which the route itself does not reach, such as Albany, Tallahassee FL, Jacksonville FL (and then Gainesville or Tampa/Orlando once past I-10 in FL).
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline

Scott5114

I-70 misses Wichita by 95 miles...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ran4sh

I don't have the traffic counts for how much traffic turns onto I-135 versus continuing on I-70 east, but if the use of Wichita were really that much of a problem, then the alternatives would be Topeka or Kansas City. It's a lot more useful to have signs indicating the distance to those places rather than to those small towns that most people only stop at for gas/food/etc.

sprjus4

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 19, 2021, 07:42:33 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 19, 2021, 07:28:20 PM
Going to venture a guess that most people who live in Roanoke (Roanokans?) use US 460 and US 360 with the short state route cutoff to get to Richmond instead of going all the way north to Staunton and then southeast on I-64.
It's about 10 minutes quicker to take I-81 to I-64 but taking US-460 and US-360 takes off about 25 miles. I think if I'm going to save 25 miles I'll suck up the 10 extra minutes and not worry about it.
If you're coming directly from Roanoke, perhaps, but if you're already on I-81 southwest of Roanoke, you're likely just going to stay on I-81 and connect with I-64 at Staunton, instead of leaving the system.

Flint1979

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 21, 2021, 02:19:07 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 19, 2021, 07:42:33 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 19, 2021, 07:28:20 PM
Going to venture a guess that most people who live in Roanoke (Roanokans?) use US 460 and US 360 with the short state route cutoff to get to Richmond instead of going all the way north to Staunton and then southeast on I-64.
It's about 10 minutes quicker to take I-81 to I-64 but taking US-460 and US-360 takes off about 25 miles. I think if I'm going to save 25 miles I'll suck up the 10 extra minutes and not worry about it.
If you're coming directly from Roanoke, perhaps, but if you're already on I-81 southwest of Roanoke, you're likely just going to stay on I-81 and connect with I-64 at Staunton, instead of leaving the system.
Well it makes sense since you will be on an Interstate the entire way. I tried a few different routes and when I got to Webster, VA which is just a little northeast of Roanoke it tells you it's quicker to take US-460 to US-360 with the shortcut state highway (VA-307)  in between. From there it looks like all ways are about the same time so I'd go by distance if that was the case.

Flint1979

Quote from: ran4sh on November 21, 2021, 02:01:28 AM

It doesn't have to. Even in my own state of Georgia, I think the ideal control cities for I-75 south of Macon are cities which the route itself does not reach, such as Albany, Tallahassee FL, Jacksonville FL (and then Gainesville or Tampa/Orlando once past I-10 in FL).
I'm someone who has traveled I-75 several times in my life as I have traveled between Michigan and Florida as well as having the entire Interstate clinched including the stretch through Macon which I purposely clinched since I-475 would be the through route I wouldn't have clinched that stretch otherwise.

But anyway, I-75 has none of those cities as control cities and those are not ideal control cities for I-75. From Sault Ste. Marie to Miami the control cities are/should be in this order:
St. Ignace at the International Bridge, then Mackinac Bridge takes over, then after that Saginaw, Flint, Detroit, Toledo, Dayton, Cincinnati, Lexington, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Macon, Tifton, Valdosta, Lake City, Gainesville, Ocala, Tampa, Naples, Miami. Why would you use Albany, Tallahassee and Jacksonville when I-75 takes you to none of those cities?

TXtoNJ

Quote from: Mark68 on November 19, 2021, 06:55:41 PM
Quote from: TXtoNJ on November 16, 2021, 01:24:35 PM
And as usual, the people saying "Limon" likely haven't driven through that area regularly.

That's the point. Anybody heading east of Denver on I-70 (and every highway on the east side of Denver Metro--I-270, I-225, E-470--points to Limon) is not going TO Limon. Cross-country travelers are going toward Salina, Wichita, Topeka, KC or points east. Why not just say "I-70 East--Kansas City" or at least Topeka? And westbound I-70 in Kansas, why not have Denver (or even Denver/Colorado Springs due to US 24) as the control city(ies)?

I mean, I get that it's an important highway junction--but it was probably more important before the advent of I-70, since it was the crossroads of three fairly important US routes. And I also get that there is nothing else east of Denver or west of (I guess) Salina. But nobody is going to point to Limon as a major stopping point or destination.

No offense to any Limonians on this thread...

Eastbound from CS and Pueblo are going to take you through Limon to get to I-70. There is a considerable amount of southeast-bound truck traffic that diverts at Limon to avoid Raton Pass.

Control cities don't exist to list "important places" - they're to aid navigation, particularly for logistics purposes. Limon is small, but it is very important for navigation in Eastern Colorado if you're not taking I-70 to Denver, especially since there are few other landmarks on the High Plains.

ran4sh

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 21, 2021, 04:38:35 AM

I'm someone who has traveled I-75 several times in my life as I have traveled between Michigan and Florida as well as having the entire Interstate clinched including the stretch through Macon which I purposely clinched since I-475 would be the through route I wouldn't have clinched that stretch otherwise.

But anyway, I-75 has none of those cities as control cities and those are not ideal control cities for I-75. From Sault Ste. Marie to Miami the control cities are/should be in this order:
St. Ignace at the International Bridge, then Mackinac Bridge takes over, then after that Saginaw, Flint, Detroit, Toledo, Dayton, Cincinnati, Lexington, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Macon, Tifton, Valdosta, Lake City, Gainesville, Ocala, Tampa, Naples, Miami. Why would you use Albany, Tallahassee and Jacksonville when I-75 takes you to none of those cities?

Georgia doesn't even use Tifton as a control city, so I have no idea why you would want to add it. Albany is certainly more important despite not being on the route.

ran4sh

Quote from: TXtoNJ on November 21, 2021, 10:49:45 AM
Quote from: Mark68 on November 19, 2021, 06:55:41 PM
Quote from: TXtoNJ on November 16, 2021, 01:24:35 PM
And as usual, the people saying "Limon" likely haven't driven through that area regularly.

That's the point. Anybody heading east of Denver on I-70 (and every highway on the east side of Denver Metro--I-270, I-225, E-470--points to Limon) is not going TO Limon. Cross-country travelers are going toward Salina, Wichita, Topeka, KC or points east. Why not just say "I-70 East--Kansas City" or at least Topeka? And westbound I-70 in Kansas, why not have Denver (or even Denver/Colorado Springs due to US 24) as the control city(ies)?

I mean, I get that it's an important highway junction--but it was probably more important before the advent of I-70, since it was the crossroads of three fairly important US routes. And I also get that there is nothing else east of Denver or west of (I guess) Salina. But nobody is going to point to Limon as a major stopping point or destination.

No offense to any Limonians on this thread...

Eastbound from CS and Pueblo are going to take you through Limon to get to I-70. There is a considerable amount of southeast-bound truck traffic that diverts at Limon to avoid Raton Pass.

Control cities don't exist to list "important places" - they're to aid navigation, particularly for logistics purposes. Limon is small, but it is very important for navigation in Eastern Colorado if you're not taking I-70 to Denver, especially since there are few other landmarks on the High Plains.

What kind of logistics are we referring to? Truck drivers should have a pre-planned route and not be depending on control city signage as opposed to route signage.

Flint1979

Quote from: ran4sh on November 21, 2021, 12:14:54 PM

Georgia doesn't even use Tifton as a control city, so I have no idea why you would want to add it. Albany is certainly more important despite not being on the route.
Where did I say that they do use Tifton? And how exactly is Albany a better control city on I-75 than Tifton? I-75 actually goes through Tifton, it does not go through or even lead you to Albany. You are telling me you have no idea why I would want to add a city that is actually on the Interstate when you suggest that a city that is 40 miles west of it should be a control city?

Why are you suggesting control cities that aren't even on the route? Like you suggest the other day that Virginia should use Richmond and Washington on I-81 and then suggested that Wichita be added as a control city on I-70.

Flint1979

I'm surprised that no one is complaining about Ohio using Atlanta and Tampa on distance signs between Toledo and Bowling Green.

Chrysler375Freeway

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 21, 2021, 04:21:00 PM
I'm surprised that no one is complaining about Ohio using Atlanta and Tampa on distance signs between Toledo and Bowling Green.
They're using Lexington too.

hbelkins

Quote from: Chrysler375Freeway on November 21, 2021, 05:03:14 PM

Those are just novelties. I've read news stories on those (the links probably have been shared here before).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ran4sh

Where is the rule that a control city must be on the route? One would think that on a roadgeek forum we would understand that no such rule exists (otherwise there would be numerous bypasses, beltways, etc that would have to change their control cities).

ran4sh

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 21, 2021, 04:18:49 PM

Where did I say that they do use Tifton? And how exactly is Albany a better control city on I-75 than Tifton? I-75 actually goes through Tifton, it does not go through or even lead you to Albany. You are telling me you have no idea why I would want to add a city that is actually on the Interstate when you suggest that a city that is 40 miles west of it should be a control city?

Why are you suggesting control cities that aren't even on the route? Like you suggest the other day that Virginia should use Richmond and Washington on I-81 and then suggested that Wichita be added as a control city on I-70.

You sidestepped the question. You acknowledge that Georgia doesn't use Tifton, and you suggest that Tifton should be used, so the clearly implied question is *why*? Is the existing usage of Macon and Valdosta not good enough for you?

hotdogPi

With ran4sh's logic, even if I-70 doesn't go to Baltimore, it can still be signed for Baltimore. One huge problem solved.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

ran4sh

More importantly, the mileage to Baltimore (and Washington) starts being signed on I-70 east of Pittsburgh (I'm not sure what the existing control city for that route is)

Flint1979

Quote from: Chrysler375Freeway on November 21, 2021, 05:03:14 PM
Lexington makes some sense. It's only 100 miles or so south of Cincinnati. I actually like it though I never realized that Cincinnati and Atlanta were as far apart as they are.

Flint1979

Quote from: ran4sh on November 21, 2021, 06:33:52 PM
More importantly, the mileage to Baltimore (and Washington) starts being signed on I-70 east of Pittsburgh (I'm not sure what the existing control city for that route is)
I-70 doesn't go through Pittsburgh it goes from Washington to New Stantion. New Stanton is the control city west of there and east of there it's on the PA Turnpike with I-76 which has Harrisburg as the control city. When it splits in Breezewood I-70 uses Washington, DC (since there is a Washington, PA also on I-70 and used as a control city west of New Stanton) and Baltimore.

Flint1979

Quote from: ran4sh on November 21, 2021, 06:28:49 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 21, 2021, 04:18:49 PM

You sidestepped the question. You acknowledge that Georgia doesn't use Tifton, and you suggest that Tifton should be used, so the clearly implied question is *why*? Is the existing usage of Macon and Valdosta not good enough for you?
What do you mean good enough for me? What's wrong with using Tifton as a control city? You want to use Albany which isn't even on the route. Why would you use a control city that isn't on the route? What sense does that make?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.