News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most Worthless Control Cities

Started by paulthemapguy, March 13, 2016, 12:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: ran4sh on January 17, 2022, 04:35:56 PM
Albany is not "minor". It has its own media market and I-75 passes through that media market, thus, it is a reasonable control city. As I've said before, today's population/major cities are not necessarily the same ones that were major when the Interstate system was designed.

Who gets to decide what the "major metro areas of importance" are? I'm using media markets. (There is some relation between media markets and metro/urban areas, but the advantage of media markets is that most if not all places in the country are located within one.) You seem to be using some other kind of probably more arbitrary criteria.
Albany, Georgia is a medium sized city at the furthest extent. Media markets extend for quite a distance sometimes, like here in Michigan the Flint market extends from a little south of Flint itself, includes the entire thumb area, Tri-Cities, Mount Pleasant, all the way up to about West Branch and Tawas and even further north than that so using a media market doesn't really say much. I-75 passing through it's media market with the city itself being about 30 miles away from I-75 doesn't make much sense for it to be used as a control city on I-75. I-75 passes through the area and Albany isn't that big of a city so it shouldn't be a control city on I-75.

Scott5114

Albany is not "minor". It has its own media market and I-75 passes through that media market, thus, it is a reasonable control city. As I've said before, today's population/major cities are not necessarily the same ones that were major when the Interstate system was designed.

Who gets to decide what the "major metro areas of importance" are? I'm using media markets. (There is some relation between media markets and metro/urban areas, but the advantage of media markets is that most if not all places in the country are located within one.) You seem to be using some other kind of probably more arbitrary criteria.

Bahaha. Ada, Oklahoma has a media market. "Where?" Exactly.

Who gets to decide what the "media markets" are? And what do those people have to do with navigation?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 17, 2022, 05:09:36 PM
I-76 W in Philadelphia uses Valley Forge. It's not worthless, but it's not really a city.
At least it's famous...
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

roadman65

Why does NC use Ft. Chiswell north of Statesville on I-77? I never heard of it until I looked on the old paper map before the Goog became the thing.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 14, 2022, 07:04:28 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 14, 2022, 06:54:42 PM
Malvern? Where the hell is Malvern?

It's a secondary makes sense

If you mean that it makes sense as a worthless control city, then we agree.  :-D
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Flint1979

Quote from: roadman65 on January 18, 2022, 06:24:10 PM
Why does NC use Ft. Chiswell north of Statesville on I-77? I never heard of it until I looked on the old paper map before the Goog became the thing.
Where do they use that at? Whenever I've been through there I remember Wytheville and Elkin being used. I've spent the night in Statesville quite a few times. If they do use Fort Chiswell I don't remember where but it makes sense as I-77 goes right to it at the eastern junction with I-81.

kinupanda

This one makes sense to me as a secondary control city, since it's where US 70 splits off after being concurrent with I-30 for a while, and Malvern is the next junction with a major route (US 270).

ran4sh

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 17, 2022, 08:56:07 PM

Bahaha. Ada, Oklahoma has a media market. "Where?" Exactly.

Who gets to decide what the "media markets" are? And what do those people have to do with navigation?

Probably because Ada is the largest or most important place in its region. In any case, some criteria should be consistently used such as urbanized areas or metro areas over a certain amount of population.

A lot of people on here are forgetting that I-75 doesn't simply use Atlanta and Tampa (which is what it would be if we only used nationally-significant cities). So in comparison to what is actually used, using Albany instead of Valdosta bc Albany is the basis of a media market and Valdosta is not, is actually an improvement.

Edit

If you have data showing which places are actually navigated to, distinct from how populated they are, then that would probably be the best way to determine control cities. In the absence of such data the use of populated areas is probably the best determination of such.

Also according to https://thevab.com/storage/app/media/Toolkit/DMA_Map_2019.pdf Ada isn't its own media market, it's combined with Sherman and the market is called "Sherman-Ada". In most of those cases I would use the first or largest place listed as a control city and not the others.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

mrsman

Quote from: kinupanda on January 19, 2022, 12:27:23 AM

This one makes sense to me as a secondary control city, since it's where US 70 splits off after being concurrent with I-30 for a while, and Malvern is the next junction with a major route (US 270).

And also in most places where two controls are listed, the secondary is used first (since it is the closest) and then the primary.

If Malvern were used alone, it is probably a worthless control city.  But I think most on here can agree that if two controls are used and one of the controls is a reasonably big or known location, there is a lot of leeway in allowing for a small city as a secondary control.

ran4sh

In any case, I get the idea that everyone on here has their own idea of what should and should not be a control city. Case in point I get some people saying my suggested control cities are too small (e.g. Albany despite it having a metro, urban, and media market area), and other saying that my suggested control cities should be smaller (e.g. my omission of Winchester VA for I-81 because Roanoke and Hagerstown are more appropriate control cities). Thus, I no longer care what most people have to say regarding my suggested control cities.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline

US 89

Quote from: ran4sh on January 19, 2022, 12:54:34 PM
In any case, I get the idea that everyone on here has their own idea of what should and should not be a control city. Case in point I get some people saying my suggested control cities are too small (e.g. Albany despite it having a metro, urban, and media market area), and other saying that my suggested control cities should be smaller (e.g. my omission of Winchester VA for I-81 because Roanoke and Hagerstown are more appropriate control cities). Thus, I no longer care what most people have to say regarding my suggested control cities.

I don't think most people on here are complaining about Albany GA because it's too small. They're complaining because it isn't on I-75.

I'm pretty sure every interstate control city is either actually on or reasonably close to the highway or a logical extension of it (think maybe 5-10 miles away at most). I-75 barely makes it 30 miles from Albany straight line distance, and it's significantly farther via actual roads.

Flint1979

Nobody said that Albany is too small to be a control city. We said that it isn't an control city on I-75 because Albany isn't on I-75. It's 30 miles west of I-75 and a through route to Florida so using cities that I-75 actually goes through is a lot better than using a city that it doesn't go through.

Flint1979

Not only does I-75 not go to or through Albany, Georgia it doesn't even enter the county that Albany is in and in fact the county that borders Dougherty County to the east (Worth County) I-75 doesn't enter that county either. Albany and Tifton (which I-75 does go through) are 40 miles apart. Albany's peak population was 78,122 it is not a big enough city to be a control city on a highway that doesn't even come within 40 miles of it.

ran4sh

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 21, 2022, 06:00:38 AM
Nobody said that Albany is too small to be a control city. We said that it isn't an control city on I-75 because Albany isn't on I-75. It's 30 miles west of I-75 and a through route to Florida so using cities that I-75 actually goes through is a lot better than using a city that it doesn't go through.

And I said that a city doesn't have to be on the route to be a control city. Control cities appear on mileage/distance signs, and having actual destinations which travelers are trying to reach, shown on mileage signs, is helpful even for places off the route.

For example, going southbound, Albany would be used beginning in Macon (Macon would be used from Atlanta to Macon) and then when the SR 300 exit is reached Albany would be used for that exit and then the SB city would change to either Jacksonville or Gainesville (depending on traffic count). On NB I-75 leaving Gainesville, Tallahassee would be used until I-10, Albany would be used until Tifton (US 82 exit), and then Macon would be used. Another alternative for those who prefer larger cities would be to just use Atlanta and Tampa, but that is not what is currently used.

Flint1979

Quote from: ran4sh on January 21, 2022, 03:22:19 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on January 21, 2022, 06:00:38 AM

And I said that a city doesn't have to be on the route to be a control city. Control cities appear on mileage/distance signs, and having actual destinations which travelers are trying to reach, shown on mileage signs, is helpful even for places off the route.

For example, going southbound, Albany would be used beginning in Macon (Macon would be used from Atlanta to Macon) and then when the SR 300 exit is reached Albany would be used for that exit and then the SB city would change to either Jacksonville or Gainesville (depending on traffic count). On NB I-75 leaving Gainesville, Tallahassee would be used until I-10, Albany would be used until Tifton (US 82 exit), and then Macon would be used. Another alternative for those who prefer larger cities would be to just use Atlanta and Tampa, but that is not what is currently used.
Why doesn't a city have to be on the route in order to be a control city? A control city is mentioned on signs indicating that the city mentioned or whatever is mentioned is along that route not some city that the route doesn't even take you to. I don't understand your argument that Albany is a better choice than Tifton or Valdosta. I-75 is actually veering away from Albany as it passes 30 miles to the east of it too and heading to Florida which is where it's supposed to go. Jacksonville or Gainesville? You can't be serious. I-75 is over twice the distance from Jacksonville than it is Albany, Georgia. Gainesville isn't even the first Florida city to be used, Lake City is because it's near I-10 which is a major junction. Lake City is known as the Gateway to Florida as well. Tallahassee is yet another city that I-75 doesn't enter which is three times the distance from I-75 as Albany, Georgia. How can you justify using these control cities on a highway that doesn't go anywhere near these cities? I-75's control cities are fine throughout the entire route: St. Ignace, Mackinac Bridge, Saginaw, Flint, Detroit, Toledo, Dayton, Cincinnati, Lexington, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Macon, Valdosta, Lake City, Gainesville, Ocala, Tampa, Naples, Miami, what's wrong with that? At least I-75 goes through those cities unlike Albany, GA; Jacksonville and Tallahassee. And why would Tampa and Atlanta be used and nothing else? Tampa and Atlanta are 450 miles from each other and there are other perfectly fine control cities in between.

SeriesE

Los Angeles...when the said freeway/highway is within the city limits of Los Angeles.

tolbs17

I would take out Nashville and Tarboro and just have Rocky Mount and Raleigh on them. This is a lot of information on just one sign.

Nashville is a small town not too far away and Tarboro is also the same way (Well it's further away, but was added on that sign when the US-64 freeway was extended there I assume).

Although construction of a new interchange not too far from the existing interchange (US-64 I-95 cloverleaf) is currently under construction, but I can't find the signage plans for them... So I don't honestly know what they plan on doing. I guess I will have to wait until it wraps up completely.

https://goo.gl/maps/t5fWAN7t11JnLQUP9

Nashville and Tarboro can go on a separate sign to something like this.

Just throwing out suggestions.

Flint1979

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 22, 2022, 03:37:54 AM
I would take out Nashville and Tarboro and just have Rocky Mount and Raleigh on them. This is a lot of information on just one sign.
Rocky Mount and Raleigh make the most sense there. Tarboro maybe in place of Rocky Mount since you are pretty much already in Rocky Mount at that point.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 17, 2022, 11:21:05 PM
I-76 W in Philadelphia uses Valley Forge. It's not worthless, but it's not really a city.
At least it's famous...

True, and it's preferable to the alternatives.

roadman65

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 22, 2022, 11:14:51 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on January 22, 2022, 03:37:54 AM
Rocky Mount and Raleigh make the most sense there. Tarboro maybe in place of Rocky Mount since you are pretty much already in Rocky Mount at that point.

When I-87 gets applied Raleigh will make it on I-95 guides as well as Williamston or even Norfolk.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 22, 2022, 01:34:05 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 17, 2022, 11:21:05 PM
At least it's famous...

True, and it's preferable to the alternatives.
You could sign Harrisburg.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Quote from: SeriesE on January 22, 2022, 01:28:28 AM
Los Angeles...when the said freeway/highway is within the city limits of Los Angeles.

You see that in lots of cities. A lot of times it's assumed that "Los Angeles" means "downtown Los Angeles", but nobody but the guy making the sign is going to understand that. If you mean downtown, say downtown. The control city should change to the next one at the city limits.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SeriesE

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 22, 2022, 05:46:17 PM
Quote from: SeriesE on January 22, 2022, 01:28:28 AM

You see that in lots of cities. A lot of times it's assumed that "Los Angeles" means "downtown Los Angeles", but nobody but the guy making the sign is going to understand that. If you mean downtown, say downtown. The control city should change to the next one at the city limits.

Completely agreed. It's even worse if the "city center" moved to a different part of the city from decades of development (and therefore is the primary destination for most visitors) and the signs for the city still points towards the old downtown (which few people go anymore).

ran4sh

City limits are arbitrary borders which can be marked with a sign if helpful to motorists, but should not be a major factor in most signage decisions.

The MUTCD even says so:

Section 2E.07, paragraph 1

Support:
01 Urban conditions are characterized not so much by city limits or other arbitrary boundaries, as by the following features:

Mainline roadways with more than two lanes in each direction;
    High traffic volumes on the through roadways;
    High volumes of traffic entering and leaving interchanges;
    Interchanges closely spaced;
    Roadway and interchange lighting;
    Three or more interchanges serving the major city;
    A loop, circumferential, or spur serving a sizable portion of the urban population; and
    Visual clutter from roadside development.

sprjus4

^ None of those apply to Albany and I-75.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.