Will AZ have to give up using Los Angeles on I-40?

Started by roadman65, June 08, 2016, 07:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TheStranger on June 14, 2021, 03:56:37 PM
Quote from: mrsman on June 14, 2021, 03:44:36 PM

There was also this mistaken sign on Alvarado, that has since been replaced with a Ventura control.  Sacramento in this area was just simply a mistake and the sign was properly changed to Ventura.

That example actually highlights one of the specific issues in LA-area control city choices: "Los Angeles" as US 101 and I-5 southbound controls (and northbound on the US 101 Santa Ana Freeway segment) when one is completely already in city limits!  I think 10 east too does this as well past Santa Monica.  That's a separate topic - how far into a city should the city iteslf remain a control destination, as opposed to something more specific like "Downtown"?

---
Taking this back on topic: I-40 west IMO past Albuquerque should be signed for Gallup (state line almost), Flagstaff (I-17 junction), Kingman (US 93/future I-11 junction), then Barstow.  I get though that Los Angeles is a "major destination" beyond all those, just that it is so far off the road's trajectory.
Gallup, Kingman, and Barstow are way too small. Most of I-40's traffic isn't going to these places.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheStranger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 14, 2021, 04:34:41 PMGallup, Kingman, and Barstow are way too small. Most of I-40's traffic isn't going to these places.

Using that logic, should Caltrans not use Needles as the eastbound control then?  They've had it used since the 1960s when that road uses to be US 66/I-40 just east of Barstow.

Flagstaff at least works as an analogue for Grand Canyon access.

SM-G973U1

Chris Sampang

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: TheStranger on June 14, 2021, 04:39:59 PM

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 14, 2021, 04:34:41 PMGallup, Kingman, and Barstow are way too small. Most of I-40's traffic isn't going to these places.

Using that logic, should Caltrans not use Needles as the eastbound control then?  They've had it used since the 1960s when that road uses to be US 66/I-40 just east of Barstow.

SM-G973U1

Don't forget Winona. 

Roadgeekteen

SM-G973U1
Caltrans should not use Needles. They should use Flagstaff. The only reason I know Needles exists is that Spike lived there in the Peanuts comics.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 14, 2021, 04:34:41 PM
Gallup, Kingman, and Barstow are way too small. Most of I-40's traffic isn't going to these places.

Gallup is a dump, but is where a lot of people stop for the night.  Kingman is a medium-sized city (approx. 50,000 people in the area) is where traffic going to Vegas from NM and points east access US 93, and will eventually connect to I-11.  Barstow is I-40's end point at I-15.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on June 14, 2021, 05:50:21 PM

Gallup is a dump, but is where a lot of people stop for the night.  Kingman is a medium-sized city (approx. 50,000 people in the area) is where traffic going to Vegas from NM and points east access US 93, and will eventually connect to I-11.  Barstow is I-40's end point at I-15.
To each their own but I find a small bit of charm in Gallup. I love the El Rancho Motel and their downtown though could definitely use an improvement has a couple good joints. Gallup needs to promote itself more and shoot for becoming more like Williams.

Roadgeekteen

The only one of those 3 that I would consider using is Kingman.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 14, 2021, 06:15:49 PM

The only one of those 3 that I would consider using is Kingman.
Kingman seems like a contender for becoming a much larger city in the future than it is provided the water shortage issue is worked out.

thenetwork

From I-40 East, Gallup is a turning off point for longer-distance travelers wishing to head to Salt Lake City and points north and west of there.  A lot of semi traffic runs along US-491 and US-191.

mrsman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 14, 2021, 04:42:11 PM

SM-G973U1
Caltrans should not use Needles. They should use Flagstaff. The only reason I know Needles exists is that Spike lived there in the Peanuts comics.

I think this is exactly the point.  If you are signing based on using large well known cities, you will only have ABQ-Flagstaff-LA.  Without any apologies.  Are you skipping some decent mid-sized towns like Gallup and Kingman? Yes.  But those aren't likely destinations for a lot of the traffic.  ABQ and LA are large cities, Flagstaff is representative of the whole Grand Canyon region.  LA is also representative of all of Southern CA.  Most of the WB i-40 traffic within CA is probably heading to the LA area, even if the trjectory of the road is headed to Bakersfield.  As stated a little while ago, Caltrans doesn't give Bakersfield its due as it replaced all those signs on I-5 in the LA area in favor of Sac.  I-40 is absolutely a major truck route from the LA ports to the northern South (northern parts of AZ, NM into TN, KY, VA), even though the road does not go to LA directly.

Let's look at it a different way.  If you were in Flagstaff, ABQ, OKC or Memphis, how would you drive to LA?  Would you take the N-S interstate to 10 (or 20) and then head west, or would you take 40 to 15?  40 to 15 is shorter and faster as it goes through smaller cities (avoiding Dallas, Houston, Phoenix).  It is simply the way to LA, and as there is no sizable city west of Flagstaff, despite some important junctions in Kingman and Barstow, it should be the control city.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: mrsman on June 15, 2021, 07:22:24 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 14, 2021, 04:42:11 PM

SM-G973U1

I think this is exactly the point.  If you are signing based on using large well known cities, you will only have ABQ-Flagstaff-LA.  Without any apologies.  Are you skipping some decent mid-sized towns like Gallup and Kingman? Yes.  But those aren't likely destinations for a lot of the traffic.  ABQ and LA are large cities, Flagstaff is representative of the whole Grand Canyon region.  LA is also representative of all of Southern CA.  Most of the WB i-40 traffic within CA is probably heading to the LA area, even if the trjectory of the road is headed to Bakersfield.  As stated a little while ago, Caltrans doesn't give Bakersfield its due as it replaced all those signs on I-5 in the LA area in favor of Sac.  I-40 is absolutely a major truck route from the LA ports to the northern South (northern parts of AZ, NM into TN, KY, VA), even though the road does not go to LA directly.

Let's look at it a different way.  If you were in Flagstaff, ABQ, OKC or Memphis, how would you drive to LA?  Would you take the N-S interstate to 10 (or 20) and then head west, or would you take 40 to 15?  40 to 15 is shorter and faster as it goes through smaller cities (avoiding Dallas, Houston, Phoenix).  It is simply the way to LA, and as there is no sizable city west of Flagstaff, despite some important junctions in Kingman and Barstow, it should be the control city.

If I were in Memphis, I would go I-40, 30, 20, 10 to get to Los Angeles.  I honestly don't know which way is faster, but the way I mentioned seems straighter, except the Tucson to Phoenix part.  Now, yes, points west of Little Rock on I-40, the no brainer to get to LA is on I-40. 

sprjus4

The aforementioned southern route (I-40, I-30, I-20, I-10) adds almost 2 hours and 100 miles compared to taking I-40.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 16, 2021, 10:48:12 AM
The aforementioned southern route (I-40, I-30, I-20, I-10) adds almost 2 hours and 100 miles compared to taking I-40.

I just meant that would be my preference.  I like that route better.  I didn't say it was faster.  I did however say It felt straighter to me for some reason. 

My point was if you were in Memphis, you have options to get to Los Angeles and neither option involve a trip down an odd interstate. 

bing101

Quote from: michravera on June 11, 2021, 06:21:20 PM
Quote from: mrsman on June 11, 2021, 12:14:03 PM
Quote from: michravera on June 08, 2021, 10:14:50 PM
Quote from: bing101 on June 08, 2021, 01:41:31 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 08, 2021, 01:18:00 PM
Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on June 08, 2021, 01:05:02 PM
Let's be honest. The whole of the West needs a reconfiguration of control cities. Consider the 1960 population of some of the West's mid-sized cities:

El Paso: 276,000
Tucson: 212,000
Albuquerque: 201,000
Fresno: 134,000
Bakersfield: 56,000
Medford: 54,000
Boise: 34,000
Flagstaff: 18,000
Redding: 12,000
St. George: 5,100
What are some examples of control cities in the west that should be changed?

US-101 North in Los Angeles should have the control city of San Jose since  San Jose is now larger than San Francisco.

We've been through this before. San Francisco does not make a good control city for ANY road in Los Angeles. Somewhere around Ventura (quite a bit northwest of LA), US-101 becomes a break even route to San Francisco to the alternatives. The break even for San Jose is a bit further east than Ventura, but not anywhere in LA.

This is why SF is not signed as a control any where in LA proper.  The northern control for 101 in LA is Ventura.  The southern control for 101 in SF is San Jose.  Only between San Jose and Ventura do you see the LA/SF as being the main controls here.

The central coast stretch of 101 is a perfect example of using dual controls.  SF and LA are the primary controls but occasionally some smaller cities (Santa Barbara, SLO, Monterey) will also be mentioned as a secondary control.

Quote from: MattHanson939 on June 09, 2021, 01:19:05 AM

Fresno isn't mentioned on signs going to CA 99 north from CA 58 within Bakersfield; they only list Sacramento going north.  But yet Fresno and Sacramento are the dual control cities along CA 99 itself at other freeway junctions like at CA 198 in Visalia.  Along 99 itself, the northbound control cities are Fresno and Sacramento, 99 south is Bakersfield/Los Angeles.  But along 198 the overhead signs above the exit ramps to 99 only mention the larger cities (omitting Bakersfield and Fresno).

Yup.  For 99, LA and Sacramento are the primary controls.  Bakersfield, Fresno, and some smaller SJ valley cities are used as secondary controls.  The only time you tend to not see LA or Sacramento as the controls on 99 is when you are close enough to I-5 that it becomes the main way of guiding to LA or Sac.  So in metro Sac, the SB control of the signs is only Fresno, but it quickly changes to LA, once you leave metro-Sac. 

Here's a sign for LA in Lodi:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.1162438,-121.2585619,3a,75y,79.29h,79.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5lBiJhzpuequz5Q7dgSrOA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I really wonder about some of the history of I-5's northern control out of LA.  I know that it started as Bakersfield when the road was US 99.  Bakersfield is a fine control and large enough city that would merit being the primary control, even today.  I guess when they decided that I-5 would be routed on the West Side Fwy, since I-5 doesn't go to Bakersfield anymore - the signs should no longer say Bakersfield any more.  I reject the notion, since I-5 is still the way to Bakersfield between LA and Wheeler Ridge.  The number of the road changed, the road itself did not change and the road still goes to Bakersfield.  It is kind of anomalous as no other freeway in the LA area uses a control city that is so far away - even the long distance routes tend to use the county seat of the next county like Ventura, Santa Ana, or San Bernardino which are all within the greater LA area, unlike Sac which is 400 miles away.

So once Caltrans decided to remove Bakersfield, why did they choose Sacramento and not San Francisco?  Using SF as I-5's control would have been a truly "baller" move to just highlight that if you want to get to the Bay Area quickly, you bypass the coast and travel through the valley.  Of course, both SF and Sac are controls along the central valley stretch of I-5, and the mileages for both cities are used and they are only 1 mile different.  My only theory is perhaps the central coast towns were concerned that if SF were signed on I-5 within LA county, they would lose business from travelers who would be driving along the scenic coast.  I'm sure there are many travelers who see a map and see that both SF and LA are on 101, so 101 is the most direct way of going between the two cities.  But it's not true.  Not only is I-5 to I-580 a lot faster as it skips all of those central coast towns, it is actually less mileage as well.

To me it's pretty simple:
1) Bakersfield isn't on I-5 anymore
2) You don't want to sign "San Francisco" because basically *ALL* roads lead to San Francisco
3) The next major city on I-5 is Stockton, and you don't want to sign a smaller control city past the interchange that would lead to San Francisco
4) Sacramento *IS* on I-5 and one might reasonably know that Sacramento is in the right general direction of San Francisco
5) There frequently isn't room for "Bakersfield/Fresno/Sacramento/San Francisco" on most of the signs. You'd like to say all four of them.
6) CalTrans HQ is located in Sacramento

So, if you have to pick *JUST ONE*, which one wins?

Sacramento because its the State Capital city wins.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: thenetwork on June 15, 2021, 10:39:28 AM

From I-40 East, Gallup is a turning off point for longer-distance travelers wishing to head to Salt Lake City and points north and west of there.  A lot of semi traffic runs along US-491 and US-191.
Phoenix to Salt Lake traffic?

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 16, 2021, 12:38:48 PM

I would guess that most semitruck traffic from Phoenix to SLC would be via I-17 to Flagstaff, or US 60 to Wickenburg and US 93 to I-40 east of Kingman.  Then (in both cases), I-40 to Kingman, US 93/I-11 to Vegas, then I-15 to SLC. 

US 89 north of Flagstaff is more direct, but having never driven on it, I don't know how well it supports heavy trucks.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

US 89

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on June 16, 2021, 11:18:43 PM

I would guess that most semitruck traffic from Phoenix to SLC would be via I-17 to Flagstaff, or US 60 to Wickenburg and US 93 to I-40 east of Kingman.  Then (in both cases), I-40 to Kingman, US 93/I-11 to Vegas, then I-15 to SLC. 

US 89 north of Flagstaff is more direct, but having never driven on it, I don't know how well it supports heavy trucks.

US 491 probably sees exactly zero truck traffic going from Phoenix to Salt Lake. US 89 is fine for trucks, but it is largely two lanes without a whole lot of passing lanes and also goes a few thousand feet higher than anything on I-15, which makes it a bit more susceptible to winter weather. For that reason I'd imagine most PHX-SLC truck traffic follows the 60/93/11/15 route via Wickenburg, Kingman, and Vegas. Given that US 93 is almost all four lanes now and significantly more direct, it seems silly to go through Kingman via Flagstaff. In a passenger car US 89 is fine and would be my route of choice, though 93 is only 20 minutes longer.

491 does indeed have a lot of trucks, but that's because of its location on a main NW-SE corridor from the Pacific Northwest and Salt Lake towards Albuquerque and Texas. US 550 is more direct, but you also have to slow down for more towns and it's just about the cheapest possible 4-lane you can imagine. 491 to I-40 is only 10-15 minutes longer than 550 and is almost certainly a safer drive overall.

ClassicHasClass

QuoteWhile it does head there, you really have to then take I-215 (old days I-15E) into San Bernardino proper.

Remember, though, that the original routing of I-15 ended in San Bernardino at I-10 (what is now the I-215/I-10 junction), prior to I-15E. See the signage: http://www.floodgap.com/roadgap/395/old/u17/

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: US 89 on June 16, 2021, 11:49:56 PM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on June 16, 2021, 11:18:43 PM

US 491 probably sees exactly zero truck traffic going from Phoenix to Salt Lake. US 89 is fine for trucks, but it is largely two lanes without a whole lot of passing lanes and also goes a few thousand feet higher than anything on I-15, which makes it a bit more susceptible to winter weather. For that reason I'd imagine most PHX-SLC truck traffic follows the 60/93/11/15 route via Wickenburg, Kingman, and Vegas. Given that US 93 is almost all four lanes now and significantly more direct, it seems silly to go through Kingman via Flagstaff. In a passenger car US 89 is fine and would be my route of choice, though 93 is only 20 minutes longer.

491 does indeed have a lot of trucks, but that's because of its location on a main NW-SE corridor from the Pacific Northwest and Salt Lake towards Albuquerque and Texas. US 550 is more direct, but you also have to slow down for more towns and it's just about the cheapest possible 4-lane you can imagine. 491 to I-40 is only 10-15 minutes longer than 550 and is almost certainly a safer drive overall.

I don't think there's a lot of truck traffic that goes between Phoenix and Salt Lake via Flagstaff for a couple reasons:

• The US 93 / I-15 combination is 50 miles longer, and probably about the same time-wise
  • "But those 50 miles matter to truckers!" Yes, but so does climbing the 6000' to Flagstaff on I-17.

Roadgeekteen

thenetwork

I meant to say I-40 from the east of Gallup, coming from ABQ and points south and east.

MattHanson939

Quote from: DTComposer on June 11, 2021, 11:16:33 PM
Quote from: MattHanson939 on June 09, 2021, 05:21:49 PM
Updated list.  I put cities in italics that I think ought to be secondaries.

10W: El Paso, Las Cruces*, Deming, Lordsburg, Tucson, Phoenix, Blythe, Indio, Palm Springs, San Bernardino, Los Angeles, Santa Monica

10E: Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Palm Springs, Indio, Blythe, Phoenix, Tucson, Lordsburg, Deming, Las Cruces, El Paso, Van Horn, San Antonio

I would argue for leaving Palm Springs (or Indio, not both). That urban area (including Rancho Mirage, Cathedral City, Coachella, etc.) is over 350,000 people, and is a world-famous resort area.

Since Sacramento is the primary control on I-5 north from Los Angeles, to make things more consistent, San Diego should be the southbound control city with Santa Ana as a secondary.  And on I-10 east, the primary control city should be Phoenix with San Bernardino & Palm Springs as secondaries.  There's no reason that Phoenix & San Diego can't be control cities from Los Angeles since they're both bigger than Sacramento, and they're closer to LA than Sacramento is.

MattHanson939

QuoteGallup, Kingman, and Barstow are way too small. Most of I-40's traffic isn't going to these places.

They're much bigger compared Santa Rosa & Tucumcari, which are the small towns along I-40 between Albuquerque & Amarillo.  I get that there are highway junctions in both New Mexico towns (Santa Rosa — US 84 & US 54 junctions; Tucumcari — US 54 splits from I-40).  But they are ESPECIALLY way too small; and thus, only Amarillo should be the control city going eastbound on that stretch of I-40.  Within Amarillo, Tucumcari used to be the westbound control city on I-40, but shortly after TxDOT switched to the Clearview font, the control city on I-40 west from Amarillo was changed to Albuquerque.

With Gallup's population of 21K, I wouldn't see a problem using it as a secondary with Flagstaff being the primary control city going west from Albuquerque.  Then from Flagstaff to Barstow, I'd keep Los Angeles as the primary control within Arizona; Kingman could be a secondary because of the junction w/ US 93, the town's 31K population, and it's the last notable town on I-40 west before leaving Arizona.  Once I-40 crosses into California, change the primary control city to Los Angeles, with Barstow & San Bernardino being secondaries.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MattHanson939 on June 30, 2021, 03:58:45 PM
QuoteGallup, Kingman, and Barstow are way too small. Most of I-40's traffic isn't going to these places.

They're much bigger compared Santa Rosa & Tucumcari, which are the small towns along I-40 between Albuquerque & Amarillo.  I get that there are highway junctions in both New Mexico towns (Santa Rosa — US 84 & US 54 junctions; Tucumcari — US 54 splits from I-40).  But they are ESPECIALLY way too small; and thus, only Amarillo should be the control city going eastbound on that stretch of I-40.  Within Amarillo, Tucumcari used to be the westbound control city on I-40, but shortly after TxDOT switched to the Clearview font, the control city on I-40 west from Amarillo was changed to Albuquerque.

With Gallup's population of 21K, I wouldn't see a problem using it as a secondary with Flagstaff being the primary control city going west from Albuquerque.  Then from Flagstaff to Barstow, I'd keep Los Angeles as the primary control within Arizona; Kingman could be a secondary because of the junction w/ US 93, the town's 31K population, and it's the last notable town on I-40 west before leaving Arizona.  Once I-40 crosses into California, change the primary control city to Los Angeles, with Barstow & San Bernardino being secondaries.
Yes, secondary controls here are a good idea.

MattHanson939

Quote from: RoadgeekteenYes, secondary controls here are a good idea.

Within New Mexico, I-25 has junctions with US 64 & US 87 in Raton, a junction with US 84 near Las Vegas, US 84/285 in Santa Fe, I-40 in Albuquerque, US 60 & US 380 near Socorro, and US 70 & I-10 in Las Cruces.  However, like Santa Rosa & Tucumcari, most of the highway junctions on I-25 are located in or near towns that are too small; and I don't think they should even be used as secondary controls. 

On I-25 north from Albuquerque, Denver should be the primary control city with Santa Fe, Pueblo, and Colorado Springs as secondaries; omit Las Vegas and Raton.  Then on I-25 south, Albuquerque should be the primary control from the Colorado state line, but Santa Fe can be used as a secondary on that stretch.  And from Albuquerque on I-25 south, the primary control city should be El Paso (w/ Las Cruces as a secondary) until I-25 defaults onto I-10 just outside of Las Cruces.

Within Colorado on I-25, C. Springs or Denver should be the primary control city from the NM state line, Pueblo secondary (or both Pueblo & C. Springs secondaries if Denver is the primary).  Going south from C. Springs on I-25, make Albuquerque the main control point, Pueblo secondary; omit Walsenburg, Trinidad, and Raton.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.