News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

States Ranked by Signage Quality

Started by webny99, February 16, 2018, 08:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

If you're OCD, try driving under this every day.  :no:
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

ran4sh

Quote from: jbnv on February 05, 2022, 04:55:04 PM

The only deficiency in those signs is that they are too small, there needs to be more space between the border and legend. The exit tabs should also be upgraded to 30-inch height (24 inch, as those signs are, was the standard until the mid-00s), although there are some states that continue to use 24 inch exit tabs for new signs.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Road Hog

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 05, 2022, 03:36:28 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on February 05, 2022, 02:28:14 PM
North Carolina highway signs in the early 2010s suck imo. I think that was the worst time to see them being used. They looked so cheap and clumsy.

I sentence you to five years of living in Oklahoma.

Life sentence:

Max Rockatansky

You guys should really check out your nearest National Forest if your aim is to truly find your state's worst signage is high. 

https://flic.kr/p/22A9Ew8

On a more serious note, I found Hawaii (O'ahu specifically) to be very lacking in signage. 

hotdogPi

Since everyone is rating both New Mexico and Oklahoma bottom, meaning nobody is distinguishing the two:

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 09, 2021, 01:20:07 PM
ODOT signage is æsthetically garbage, violates norms of both graphic design and traffic control, and hurts your eyes to look at. But it's almost always there, and it's usually complete and mostly correct. ODOT signage sucks, but you can at least navigate with it. NMDOT sometimes can't even manage to clear that simple bar, to the point that it starts to negatively impact navigability. So there's a pretty good argument that NMDOT is worse than ODOT.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jbnv

Just anecdotally, but I travelled through New Mexico last summer, and I agree that the signage was insufficient.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Occidental Tourist

I would kill for signage as uniform as that.  Come to California and ping your OCD all day long.

jbnv

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on February 09, 2022, 02:22:51 AM

I would kill for signage as uniform as that.  Come to California and ping your OCD all day long.

Ironic that you would say that considering that California has a height max on overhead signs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.