2018 Salamanca Road Enthusiasts Meet - June 16, 2018

Started by Roadgeek Adam, April 20, 2018, 05:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

Welcome one, welcome all, to the Salamanca, New York-based road enthusiasts meet. The only area not known to be represented by the roadgeeking community in New York for a road meet, it is finally time to change that. Originally, this was designed as a road meet in the Salamanca and Jamestown area. However, after long research, this will be focused on Salamanca, Olean, and nearby Bradford, Pennsylvania.

We will be seeing a lot of old stuff ruined by the Allegheny Reservoir. We will also be seeing a lot of old bridges, and most interestingly, the Kinzua Viaduct in Mount Jewett, Pennsylvania.

The road meet is on Saturday, June 16, 2018 at 12 PM. We will be meeting at Myers Steakhouse & Inn in Salamanca.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

Was Montauk ever represented by the roadgeeking community for a road meet? How about Tupper Lake? Actually, the Buffalo meet several years ago made it much of the way down 219.

:D

baugh17

How about Plattsburgh?

Quote from: Alps on April 20, 2018, 11:10:00 PM
Was Montauk ever represented by the roadgeeking community for a road meet? How about Tupper Lake? Actually, the Buffalo meet several years ago made it much of the way down 219.

noelbotevera

Ooh, I'm gonna barely miss this one. I'll probably be passing through Salamanca on the 17th. Dang, I thought I'd get two roadmeets in one year.

7/8

I'll definitely consider this one. It's close enough for me to drive Friday evening after work and not need to take a day off work.

jpi

I would like to get back up in this area again but not going to happen, especially since I was just in PA 2 weeks ago, hope you all have fun, Steph and I will be there in spirit.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

7/8

Quote from: 7/8 on May 07, 2018, 11:08:33 AM
I'll definitely consider this one. It's close enough for me to drive Friday evening after work and not need to take a day off work.

Well it turns out my university convocation is on the 16th so unfortunately that ruins any chance of me making it to the meet.

Alps

For those attending, I have some extracurricular notes.
* Old NY 280 south of I-86 - it's accessible by a bear left as you head south from I-86 from the end of NY 394, which turns left into another old road. The access is in terrible condition - old pavement mostly destroyed by potholes - but I made it driving slowly in a Civic. It had a river running over it about halfway up as of 5/20. That may or may not subside by 6/16 - water levels have been pretty high this spring. But you can at least see the first half of the road.
* Old NY 17 east of NY 394 is in slightly better condition. After about 1.5 miles you see "Road Closed" and it turns into original concrete with a lot of potholes. You can also access the old NY 280 stub exactly 2.2 miles east of the 394 split - it's actually in slightly better condition than everything else (crackled asphalt) but not terribly interesting.
* The Red House bridge on Old 17 is actually drivable, but I would recommend going one at a time. There were two pickups parked on it when I went and another crossed by driving around them, so it'll definitely hold structurally. Stay toward the center though.
* Roadway improves on the east side of the bridge. It is all native land, so please be respectful and obey speed limits and stay on roads. (There's another old highway that wyes off of old 17 just east of the bridge, running back about a mile before it ends at a dirt "intersection". It's all original concrete.)

Assume an average 10 mph for any of the above roads, or an hour for the full exploration experience.

Note: All travels on roads signed as "closed" or with signs denoting ownership by sovereign Native Americans are at YOUR own risk. Not mine. I'm not telling anyone to drive them, just providing notes.

hbelkins

If the price of gas doesn't come down, I may not be going here or anywhere this year. It just hit the $2.999 mark here, and I shudder to think what it costs in Pennsylvania, New York or northeastern Ohio.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: Alps on May 21, 2018, 07:57:36 PM
* Old NY 280 south of I-86 - it's accessible by a bear left as you head south

Are you sure highway patrol won't have picked up the bear that was left, you know, before people need to use it as a landmark?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on May 22, 2018, 01:14:28 PM
Quote from: Alps on May 21, 2018, 07:57:36 PM
* Old NY 280 south of I-86 - it's accessible by a bear left as you head south

Are you sure highway patrol won't have picked up the bear that was left, you know, before people need to use it as a landmark?

Wouldn't "highway patrol" = "bear"?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on May 22, 2018, 11:58:43 AM
If the price of gas doesn't come down, I may not be going here or anywhere this year. It just hit the $2.999 mark here, and I shudder to think what it costs in Pennsylvania, New York or northeastern Ohio.

Upstate NY still hasn't hit $2.999. In any case, current prices are still a lot better than the prices upwards of $4 we had a few years back.

cl94

Quote from: webny99 on May 22, 2018, 02:22:26 PM

Upstate NY still hasn't hit $2.999. In any case, current prices are still a lot better than the prices upwards of $4 we had a few years back.

I don't know what rock you're living under, because it's been $2.99 or higher in most of Upstate for a week (more in some places). You're in Rochester, right? Average price there is $3.02. Utica area hit 2.99 a couple weeks ago.

Northeast Ohio is still relatively cheap. You can still get name-brand gas for under 2.70.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

webny99

Quote from: cl94 on May 22, 2018, 06:43:54 PM
Quote from: webny99 on May 22, 2018, 02:22:26 PM

I don't know what rock you're living under, because it's been $2.99 or higher in most of Upstate for a week (more in some places). You're in Rochester, right? Average price there is $3.02. Utica area hit 2.99 a couple weeks ago.

The KwikFill I use regularly is at 2.869 (as of yesterday).
I don't care about averages, I care about what I actually pay. And there are still plenty of stations with prices below $3, which means that anyone with any sense is still paying below $3.

Roadgeek Adam

KwikFill just debuted a card which you can use for 3¢ off
Adam Seth Moss

hbelkins

This, and a work commitment on the 14th (which would have been my getaway day), means I'm 99 percent out.

Even if my schedule cooperated, I'm not sure I can justify such a long trip that would net no new territory for me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SSOWorld

Already used up my time off that I have earned to direct myself to Florida - I can't just get a SunPass for nothing (at least as long as TX, OK and KS don't cooperate :-D )
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jpi

I am definitely out for this one, been working lots of O.T. and I will be in St Louis that weekend for a toy show. For those going have fun  :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

74/171FAN

Is there a tentative itinerary for this meet created yet?  I still have not finalized a route plan for this though I plan to come.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 05, 2018, 07:07:46 PM
Is there a tentative itinerary for this meet created yet?  I still have not finalized a route plan for this though I plan to come.

I will have it tomorrow.
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeek Adam

Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeek Adam

Meet was definitely a good time. Ran really long though.

Taken in Farmers Valley, Pennsylvania:

Kneeling: John Krakoff (OH), Adam Moss (NY)
Standing: Valerie Deane (NY), Dylan Lainhart (NY), Nick Dubanow (ON), Eric Stuve (OH), Mark Sinsabaugh (NY), Mark Moore (PA), Doug Kerr (NY)
Adam Seth Moss

Dougtone

Quote from: baugh17 on April 23, 2018, 07:25:01 AM
How about Plattsburgh?

Quote from: Alps on April 20, 2018, 11:10:00 PM

Or Ithaca or Oneonta, for that matter. Kingston will have a meet sooner rather than later. I guess I can go brainstorm about Oneonta.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.