News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2020 meets

Started by A.J. Bertin, August 01, 2019, 09:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

A question about Midwest travel in late October: how difficult is it in late October if I were to schedule a meet down here? I have been thinking about hosting another meet in my area. Looks like late October could be a good time to do it. Would those of you who live up north have trouble traveling that time of year?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

bandit957

Quote from: cjk374 on August 11, 2019, 10:25:26 AM
A question about Midwest travel in late October: how difficult is it in late October if I were to schedule a meet down here? I have been thinking about hosting another meet in my area. Looks like late October could be a good time to do it. Would those of you who live up north have trouble traveling that time of year?

Cincinnati gets ice storms in October. Not constantly, but they do occasionally happen, like the bad one we had in 1989.

So it's probably safe as long as we don't have a repeat of 1989.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Brandon

I don't see much of an issue.  I've gone to Texas from NE Illinois in November and January without incident.  As long as we don't have a hurricane, I think we're good.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

US71

Late October would work for me. November is pretty much out since I'm down in the Lufkin area the week before Thanksgiving.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Brandon on August 11, 2019, 11:36:10 AM

I don't see much of an issue.  I've gone to Texas from NE Illinois in November and January without incident.  As long as we don't have a hurricane, I think we're good.

Generally speaking, I can't imagine weather being much of an issue for Midwesterners traveling in late October. However, for me, the last weekend in October probably wouldn't work because that's around my and my husband's wedding anniversary. I don't think I'd want to go to a road meet on the weekend that he and I are supposed to be celebrating. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

cl94

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 11, 2019, 09:20:34 PM

Generally speaking, I can't imagine weather being much of an issue for Midwesterners traveling in late October. However, for me, the last weekend in October probably wouldn't work because that's around my and my husband's wedding anniversary. I don't think I'd want to go to a road meet on the weekend that he and I are supposed to be celebrating. :)

Finally, one roadgeek who won't go to meets on their anniversary!

And speaking as someone who has lived in lake effect snow country, I routinely drive across Upstate New York multiple times in winter getting between home and where my parents are in Buffalo. I-90 west of Syracuse closes a few times each year due to blowing snow. I think I can manage driving down to Louisiana :P .
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Far as Midwest weather goes, From Thanksgiving till St. Patricks Day it is "sketchy." Not that there is a guarantee of "non-driving" weather that will occur during that time span, just that there is greater likelihood of it occurring during that time as compared to the rest of the year.

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

signalman

Snow can and has ever happened in October in NJ, though it's rare.  Barring something major, (which is unlikely) I'd attend.  I rather like traveling in the fall.  Heck, I've ever gone to northern Maine in mid October with little fear of snow.  No snow, indeed, but one morning I woke up to a temperature of 28.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: cl94 on August 11, 2019, 09:43:50 PM

Ha! I'm probably not the only one. But I will say that, if this meet is scheduled for, say, the second-to-last weekend in October (as opposed to the last weekend), there's a better chance that I could make it. Jess, in which part of Louisiana are you thinking you might want to host a meet?
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

I won't go to a meet on my anniversary, nor on my wife's birthday. Closest I've come was getting back home on our anniversary returning from the Slidell, La. meet several years ago.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

If May 30 doesn't work out for the Cincinnati meet I'm hosting, it may end up on my birthday.

cl94

Quote from: bandit957 on August 12, 2019, 11:02:39 AM
If May 30 doesn't work out for the Cincinnati meet I'm hosting, it may end up on my birthday.

Just looking at the calendar, I can say that June/early July may be your best bet. The current schedule is very Spring-heavy. Cincy being in May would mean that people coming from far away (i.e. Alps, myself) would need to miss a couple. Like, if Cincy is May 30, I'd need to choose between Cincy and San Antonio, but if it's in mid-late June, I could swing going to both.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

bandit957

Quote from: cl94 on August 12, 2019, 12:54:47 PM

Just looking at the calendar, I can say that June/early July may be your best bet. The current schedule is very Spring-heavy. Cincy being in May would mean that people coming from far away (i.e. Alps, myself) would need to miss a couple. Like, if Cincy is May 30, I'd need to choose between Cincy and San Antonio, but if it's in mid-late June, I could swing going to both.

There's so many other things scheduled for June though.

TheHighwayMan3561

Seconded. I would be comfortable really making any drive down until around Thanksgiving. After that is when I'd start to be a little wary of weather, but really the worst road conditions in my region happen roughly between Christmas and Tax Day.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Hot Rod Hootenanny

As usual, you're overreacting Josh.
Outer Banks - April 25*
San Antonio - May 9
Cincinnati - May 30
Sauk Valley - June 13*
(* dates chosen are leading polls)
So far, the 4 meets, scheduled for 2020 are two weeks apart, at least
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Alps

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on August 12, 2019, 10:29:49 PM

As usual, you're overreacting Josh.
Outer Banks - April 25*
San Antonio - May 9
Cincinnati - May 30
Sauk Valley - June 13*
(* dates chosen are leading polls)
So far, the 4 meets, scheduled for 2020 are two weeks apart, at least
I don't care about consecutive weekends, so leave me out of it. OBX and Cinci are likely, San Antonio is possible, regardless of date.

bandit957

I haven't seen anything about a San Antonio meet anywhere.

Maybe Christopher Cross will give a free concert and perform his bubble gum popping song.

froggie

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 12, 2019, 07:28:25 AM

Ha! I'm probably not the only one.

No.  No you're not...😌

Also, regarding some of the recent conversation, it's not the end of the world if you don't make it to a meet, folks...

Brandon

Quote from: bandit957 on August 13, 2019, 08:09:10 AM
I haven't seen anything about a San Antonio meet anywhere.

Maybe Christopher Cross will give a free concert and perform his bubble gum popping song.

It's on Facebook.  Gene, the host, isn't on AA Roads.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bandit957

Quote from: Brandon on August 13, 2019, 11:03:54 AM
It's on Facebook.  Gene, the host, isn't on AA Roads.

I found it now. It turns out I was invited to it, but I just ignored it, because I can't just automatically go to San Antonio any time I feel like it.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: froggie on August 13, 2019, 10:04:00 AM
Also, regarding some of the recent conversation, it's not the end of the world if you don't make it to a meet, folks...

I don't think anyone is suggesting that. It's just that some of us really, REALLY like to attend road meets in certain places... particularly places where we've never been. I love having a reason to visit these places. I'm just glad I have a supportive husband who encourages me to follow this passion of mine!
-A.J. from Michigan

cl94

My point was more of that the schedule is heavy in the spring and empty once we get past mid-June. If you only want local people to show up, a bunch of closely-spaced meets is fine. But if you want people to travel (and many of the frequent attendees are a good distance from the proposed locations here), a bunch of closely-spaced meets start cannibalizing each other. People can host whenever they want to host (if I wanted to dictate the date, I would host myself), but the big thing right now is "big turnout" and you're not gonna get that with a meet every other week.

There's a reason fall meets often draw well: there's a lack of meet activity in the fall because it's all concentrated in spring.

Mdcastle

For anyone making it as far as Winona, I will note that the Stillwater Lift Bridge will be done in June, and of course the new bridge is opened. So if people making it to the area want to have an formal extension of the meet farther north or just want to meet some local roadgeeks for coffee amd a quick tour.

I concur that around Thankgiving is when the Midwestern weather starts to get cold and unpredictable enough to impact travel.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: cl94 on August 13, 2019, 03:42:25 PM
My point was more of that the schedule is heavy in the spring and empty once we get past mid-June. If you only want local people to show up, a bunch of closely-spaced meets is fine. But if you want people to travel (and many of the frequent attendees are a good distance from the proposed locations here), a bunch of closely-spaced meets start cannibalizing each other. People can host whenever they want to host (if I wanted to dictate the date, I would host myself), but the big thing right now is "big turnout" and you're not gonna get that with a meet every other week.

There's a reason fall meets often draw well: there's a lack of meet activity in the fall because it's all concentrated in spring.

I'm guessing that the reason so many meets take place in the spring is because many of us have an urge (and want a reason) to take a road trip after the dead of winter and where many of us might suffer from a bit of withdrawal (or a sense of "cabin fever") from taking road trips.

For the most part, Josh, what you're saying makes sense. I'm not sure exactly what you mean, though, when you say that "big turnout" is the big thing right now. Maybe that comment is piggybacking off of what some of us were discussing in the thread regarding the Cincinnati meet and reasons why some of us like to create polls to get a majority vote on things like the date. You might be right though. For my city meets, I guess I would like to give as many people the opportunity to attend as possible. But I would be just as happy hosting a gathering that only, say, less than five people show up for. But I think in general, more people have an interest in going to road meets nowadays than in years past.

There does seem to be more competition nowadays for announcing road meets. It's really first come, first serve. For a few months now (I think since I created my poll which helped me determine the location of my 2020 city meet), I've been saying that I'm aiming to host my meet in April, May, or June. The only 2020 meet that was officially announced prior to mine was Gene's San Antonio meet for May 9 (announced on Facebook only). I admit that I find it a bit amusing that, shortly after I made the announcement about my Outer Banks meet in the spring, multiple other meets were announced for the spring as well. Healthy competition? Definitely. Cannibalism? Possibly. The good thing is that they are at least spaced out a bit in the spring... no back-to-back weekend pattern. Unfortunately for you, Josh, none of these meets are super close to where you live... which is why I can imagine you might be a bit frustrated.

I do agree that it would be nice to spread the meets out across the year and not have so many concentrated in the spring. Does this mean I might choose fall for my 2021 meet? Probably not, but I would absolutely consider it if I see that a lot of spring meets for 2021 have already been announced by the time I announce mine.

I wonder why July, in particular, seems to be a month when no one wants to host, or attend, a meet. (The one exception I can recall was Cody Goodman's Walker County AL meet which took place in July 2015.)
-A.J. from Michigan

bandit957

I've been to 4 meets, and I'm pretty sure 3 of them were in March or April. The other was the 2013 Cincinnati meet, which I think wasn't until October or so.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.