Traffic Signals Mounted on Wooden Utility Poles

Started by dbz77, August 23, 2019, 07:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on November 06, 2019, 02:15:32 PM
From my perspective, those wooden poles aren't supporting any utilities other than the electricity feeding directly to the stoplights.  Should we really call those "utility poles", then?  If they were made of metal, I doubt you would even look twice.

I think you might be taking the term "utility pole" a bit too literally.

Edit: What do I call such poles, anyway? What's the term for just the pole itself, regardless of what's attached to it? Merely a "wood pole?" I honestly don't know. I've always called them utility poles, even without utilities on them.

DaBigE

Fond du Lac, WI Mounted to the conduit that is attached to the utility pole. Also, probably one of the shortest arms I've ever seen for a horizontally-mounted signal head.

Madison, WI
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

kphoger

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 07, 2019, 08:18:36 AM

Quote from: kphoger on November 06, 2019, 02:15:32 PM
From my perspective, those wooden poles aren't supporting any utilities other than the electricity feeding directly to the stoplights.  Should we really call those "utility poles", then?  If they were made of metal, I doubt you would even look twice.

I think you might be taking the term "utility pole" a bit too literally.

Edit: What do I call such poles, anyway? What's the term for just the pole itself, regardless of what's attached to it? Merely a "wood pole?" I honestly don't know. I've always called them utility poles, even without utilities on them.

Yeah, I suppose you're right.  I hadn't thought this deeply about it when I first posted that, but...  Considering that the poles are right there with the utilities, I'm 99% certain they're owned by the electric company, which in and of itself should qualify them for being called "utility poles":  they are, after all, poles owned by the utility company.  If they were a decent distance away from the electric mainline, then it would be possible they're owned by another entity, but that's not the case here.

As for nomenclature, the term I'm most familiar with is "bump pole", which is an intermediate pole between the mainline and the premise if the distance is too great for a single span.  That's not exactly the same as here, but the pole itself would be identical.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

steviep24

DaBigE

"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

kphoger

Quote from: steviep24 on November 07, 2019, 04:29:04 PM
On that same pole there's a horizontal signal attached to the conduit.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7697225,-88.4570306,3a,30y,221.51h,97.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIoZj718Dm5OrVUK4M-a5Kw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Yep.  He mentioned it in his post already.

Quote from: DaBigE on November 07, 2019, 09:08:54 AM
Fond du Lac, WI Mounted to the conduit that is attached to the utility pole. Also, probably one of the shortest arms I've ever seen for a horizontally-mounted signal head.
Male pronouns, please.

silveradoman298

"Call me a prisoner of the highway
Driven on by my restless soul
I'm a prisoner of the highway
Imprisoned by the freedom of the road"

jakeroot

Here's one (not unlike some of the above) where the signal is directly mounted to the wooden utility pole, rather than from an attached wire:

Seattle, WA: SW Admiral Way @ 47th Ave SW.

Whether it's truly a utility pole or not, I'm not sure. There's a lot of stuff going on, with at least one wire going directly to a nearby power pole.

Another similar one here, also attached directly to the pole:

Auburn, WA: Oravetz Rd @ Kersey Way

stevashe

Plenty of span wire installations mounted to wood/utility poles by King County for their older installs as well, like this one at Avondale Rd and Woodinville-Duvall Rd:

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.7550042,-122.0806063,3a,80.4y,310.92h,78.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCeXR7nn8OfQqKsoTyHV6Tw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

bcroadguy

I've always thought that this intersection in Blaine, WA (WSDOT maintained I believe?) is unusual given that the intersection right next to it uses metal mast arms and that metal poles are used for streetlights on both intersecting roads.
https://www.google.com/maps/@48.9905542,-122.734993,3a,39.6y,79.01h,84.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJhUSHbxur1Lf1AZ2_xdgPw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

jakeroot

Quote from: bcroadguy on March 20, 2020, 05:17:40 AM
I've always thought that this intersection in Blaine, WA (WSDOT maintained I believe?) is unusual given that the intersection right next to it uses metal mast arms and that metal poles are used for streetlights on both intersecting roads.
https://www.google.com/maps/@48.9905542,-122.734993,3a,39.6y,79.01h,84.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJhUSHbxur1Lf1AZ2_xdgPw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Looks to be WSDOT, yeah. I've never quite understood what the reasoning was for using wooden poles vs metal poles, or wire-span vs mast-arms. WSDOT doesn't install intersections like this today (the intersection just to the north is the standard WSDOT look now), but they were very common for decades.

plain

Bumping this because I just got reminded of this.

An example in Bristol, TN

https://maps.app.goo.gl/p6Y52FwxFmzWMU2Y8
Newark born, Richmond bred

US20IL64

Quote from: roadman65 on September 08, 2019, 09:33:44 AM
Quote from: Ian on August 26, 2019, 08:12:48 AM
It's fairly common to come across span-wire signals hung off wooden utility poles around Maine.
To me the whole thing looks cheap.  I prefer span wires to be hung on metal poles or concrete ones as both Florida and Puerto Rico uses.

Agree, since in IL and other states, wood post signals mean "under construction".  :crazy:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.