How rare are September, October, and November snowstorms?

Started by thspfc, September 27, 2019, 07:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET21

Ohhhh how times have changed, two record snowfalls for Chicago to kickoff the season. Had our snowiest Halloween ever and currently going through the earliest occurrence of arctic temps
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

paulthemapguy

Quote from: jakeroot on November 12, 2019, 04:19:07 AM
Quote from: thspfc on November 11, 2019, 09:51:24 PM
Do I need to change the title to get people to understand?

Probably, yeah. September is mostly summer, not fall.

Technically, September counts as "meteorological autumn," which begins September 1...and we are talking about weather heh

Anyway the high temperature here in Chicagoland is supposed to shatter the record lowest.  Previous lowest maximum for 11/12: 28F.  Today's forecast high: 21F.  This is absolutely insane.  There is no average high in Chicagoland below the 30s. So this could most accurately be described as January weather.

It's still construction season, too, so I was working outside yesterday in the falling snow.  We've had snow 10/30, 10/31, and 11/11.  Usually we don't get any measurable snow until around Thanksgiving.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

US 89

Quote from: paulthemapguy on November 12, 2019, 09:36:10 AM

Technically, September counts as "meteorological autumn," which begins September 1...and we are talking about weather heh

I know I've posted about this on here before, but the meteorological definitions make more sense. The equinoxes and solstices are sort of arbitrary dates when it comes to weather, and they generally occur a month ahead of actual weather events. While the summer solstice is June 21, in most of the northern hemisphere the hottest month is July, and the weather in early June is far more summer-like than in mid-September. The issue is that astronomical summer is defined as a time of shortening day length between the solstice and equinox, which doesn't correlate with most people's view of summer as a time of the year with long, hot days.

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on November 12, 2019, 10:29:24 AM

Quote from: paulthemapguy on November 12, 2019, 09:36:10 AM

I know I've posted about this on here before, but the meteorological definitions make more sense. The equinoxes and solstices are sort of arbitrary dates when it comes to weather, and they generally occur a month ahead of actual weather events. While the summer solstice is June 21, in most of the northern hemisphere the hottest month is July, and the weather in early June is far more summer-like than in mid-September. The issue is that astronomical summer is defined as a time of shortening day length between the solstice and equinox, which doesn't correlate with most people's view of summer as a time of the year with long, hot days.

Bar bet:  The days get longer in the winter.

It's true!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

thspfc

Changed title. I included November, since September and October snow is more or less impossible in some places.

CNGL-Leudimin

It's not rare for the mountains North of me to get snow as far low as 2000 ft in November. In fact they have had one such storm just a few days ago!
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jakeroot

For the record, Seattle's September is more similar to August than October, at least most years. I know in most of the country, September is decidedly fall-feeling, but that isn't always the case here. I think this is also true for other parts of the Pacific Coast (Los Angeles in particular). This is why I thought it was weird that someone would include September in fall; A: it's mostly summer (just based on solstice dates), and B: in my experience, it's more similar to summer anyways.

ce929wax

^There is definitely a difference between August and September here in Michigan.  Usually, we have one last heat wave around Labor Day weekend, and then the air gets crisper.  We go from an average high of 78 degrees on September 1st to an average high of 67 on September 30th.  In Waxahachie, TX where I lived for 8 years, it goes from 92 on September 1st to 83 on September 30th.  I think there is a lot more difference between 78 and 67 than there is between 92 and 83.

Data according to accuweather.com

KEVIN_224

And Bradley International Airport (BDL) in Windsor Locks, CT (north of Hartford) goes from 70 on October 1st to 58 for Halloween. The low this morning for both Bradley and Hartford (HFD)? 17 degrees. Yup! :(

kphoger

Quote from: ce929wax on November 13, 2019, 12:13:32 AM
I think there is a lot more difference between 78 and 67 than there is between 92 and 83.

You are correct.  There's a 22% bigger difference.

78 - 67 = 11
92 - 83 = 9

11 = 9 + 2

2 ÷ 9 = 22.2222%
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 12, 2019, 06:02:52 PM
It's not rare for the mountains North of me to get snow as far low as 2000 ft in November. In fact they have had one such storm just a few days ago!

Even better, the mountains have now so much snow, several ski resorts have scheduled the earliest season start since 2008.
Quote from: kphoger on November 13, 2019, 02:20:51 PM÷

Never heard that. Common parlance is "/".
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jeffandnicole

^There is definitely a difference between August and September here in Michigan.  Usually, we have one last heat wave around Labor Day weekend, and then the air gets crisper.  We go from an average high of 78 degrees on September 1st to an average high of 67 on September 30th.  In Waxahachie, TX where I lived for 8 years, it goes from 92 on September 1st to 83 on September 30th.  I think there is a lot more difference between 78 and 67 than there is between 92 and 83.

Quote from: kphoger on November 13, 2019, 02:20:51 PM
I think there is a lot more difference between 78 and 67 than there is between 92 and 83.

78 - 67 = 11
92 - 83 = 9

11 = 9 + 2

2 ÷ 9 = 22.2222%

Actually, it's incorrect. 

You're calculating this based on that the temperature bottom floor is 0.  For temperature readings, 0 means nothing other than it's damn cold outside. 32 is freezing. 

If you want to calculate the difference properly, you would need to use Absolute 0, which is -459.67 degrees F.

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 13, 2019, 03:45:06 PM

Quote from: kphoger on November 13, 2019, 02:20:51 PM

78 - 67 = 11
92 - 83 = 9

11 = 9 + 2

2 ÷ 9 = 22.2222%

Actually, it's incorrect. 

You're calculating this based on that the temperature bottom floor is 0.  For temperature readings, 0 means nothing other than it's damn cold outside. 32 is freezing. 

If you want to calculate the difference properly, you would need to use Absolute 0, which is -459.67 degrees F.

How am I assuming a floor of anything?  I'm simply saying that 11 is 22% bigger than 9.  I'm comparing the temperature differences, irrespective of the actual temperatures themselves.
Male pronouns, please.

thspfc

Classic example of AARoads users taking things way out of context. The point was, 92 degrees and 83 degrees are both hot and don't feel that different. 78 and 67 is a difference between hot and warm, or mild.

ce929wax

Quote from: thspfc on November 13, 2019, 05:44:16 PM
Classic example of AARoads users taking things way out of context. The point was, 92 degrees and 83 degrees are both hot and don't feel that different. 78 and 67 is a difference between hot and warm, or mild.

Yes, that was my point.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ce929wax

All right, for the anal-retentive among us, I never said that 92 and 83 didn't feel different, my point is that 92 and 83 feel less different than 78 and 67.  For instance, if you are in a room, 78 degrees is going to likely feel hot, whereas 67 degrees is going to likely feel cool to cold.  In the same room, 92 degrees and 83 degrees are still going to feel hot to most people, but 92 is going to feel hotter than 83.

Now, we may return to our regularly scheduled thread.

Mark68

We may get a minor snowfall as early as September. I believe the record earliest snowfall in Denver was September 3. Actually, when I first moved to Colorado (down in the Springs), there was measurable snowfall on September 13.

Generally, the first measurable snowfall occurs in early October. Been there, done that already this year. One of the biggest storms I've seen since moving here occurred on October 23-25, 1997. About 30" of snowfall (mostly on the 24th).
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

cl94

5 years ago today was the 2014 blizzard in Buffalo. Parts of the inner metro got 7 feet of snow, while others (such as where I lived at the time) got less than an inch. I took the below picture at the UB North Campus.

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

D-Dey65

Quote from: cl94 on November 18, 2019, 09:36:15 AM
5 years ago today was the 2014 blizzard in Buffalo. Parts of the inner metro got 7 feet of snow, while others (such as where I lived at the time) got less than an inch. I took the below picture at the UB North Campus.

The very blizzard that my aunt feared I was going to drive through on the way home from NYC, and my uncle had to calm her fears and reassure her that I wasn't going anywhere near it.

See this post if you don't know what I'm talking about.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: cl94 on November 18, 2019, 09:36:15 AM

I remember my mind being completely blown by the snow totals.  I was losing my marbles trying to imagine 7 feet of snow.  The most snow I've ever seen is about two feet.  Lake effect snow is insane.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Ben114

November is fairly common for a few inches. Last year we got around 8 inches in November.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.