News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What road did you leave on and reenter your state when you left it?

Started by roadman65, October 18, 2019, 10:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: index on July 08, 2021, 07:28:48 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 08, 2021, 05:23:08 PM
Quote from: index on July 08, 2021, 03:09:04 PM
Most recently, US 421. I checked out Mountain City to hopefully find some picture frames/local paintings at antique stores, which was successful.

I rather enjoy the drive between Boone and Mountain City. But Mountain City and Bristol? No, thanks. Did it once and don't ever plan to again.

Best route from Bristol to Boone is via Abingdon, US 58, and TN/VA 91 to Mountain City, then 421.
According to Google Maps, that route is quicker as well. Not surprising considering how haggard that stretch of 421 looks.

I plan to check the Tri-Cities out sometime soon and I may as well check that stretch out anyway, it couldn't possibly kill me. Other sites to visit on my laundry list for this area, out-of-state include the Bridle Creek Bridge, Burkes Garden, and since I'm so close I want to clinch a few counties in Eastern Kentucky. It's about six hours round-trip from me but I've made runs longer than that before in a day. I've also been wanting to check out old coal towns like Matewan and Grundy. Distance was a problem where I used to be but it's a lot more within reach now. That whole area has always intrigued me.

If you want to check out old coal towns, I'd eschew Grundy (and Matewan, too) in favor of the US 52 corridor, especially between Bluefield and Welch. I'm unfamiliar with the Bridle Creek Bridge so I googled it; it appears to be some sort of low-water bridge near Mouth of Wilson. Burkes Garden is being discussed on another thread. That area is pretty familiar to me (I'm about three hours from Bristol and Kingsport) so holler if you want any travel tips.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

index

Quote from: hbelkins on July 08, 2021, 09:25:33 PM
Quote from: index on July 08, 2021, 07:28:48 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 08, 2021, 05:23:08 PM
Quote from: index on July 08, 2021, 03:09:04 PM
Most recently, US 421. I checked out Mountain City to hopefully find some picture frames/local paintings at antique stores, which was successful.

I rather enjoy the drive between Boone and Mountain City. But Mountain City and Bristol? No, thanks. Did it once and don't ever plan to again.

Best route from Bristol to Boone is via Abingdon, US 58, and TN/VA 91 to Mountain City, then 421.
According to Google Maps, that route is quicker as well. Not surprising considering how haggard that stretch of 421 looks.

I plan to check the Tri-Cities out sometime soon and I may as well check that stretch out anyway, it couldn't possibly kill me. Other sites to visit on my laundry list for this area, out-of-state include the Bridle Creek Bridge, Burkes Garden, and since I'm so close I want to clinch a few counties in Eastern Kentucky. It's about six hours round-trip from me but I've made runs longer than that before in a day. I've also been wanting to check out old coal towns like Matewan and Grundy. Distance was a problem where I used to be but it's a lot more within reach now. That whole area has always intrigued me.

If you want to check out old coal towns, I'd eschew Grundy (and Matewan, too) in favor of the US 52 corridor, especially between Bluefield and Welch. I'm unfamiliar with the Bridle Creek Bridge so I googled it; it appears to be some sort of low-water bridge near Mouth of Wilson. Burkes Garden is being discussed on another thread. That area is pretty familiar to me (I'm about three hours from Bristol and Kingsport) so holler if you want any travel tips.

Go ahead and hit me with them. I've also been eyeing a Des Moines trip in summer 2022 or so to visit a friend and that would take me through that general area, mostly on KY 15 and 160. I'm open to any diversions I should take on that. I see the Burkes Garden talk on the other thread, I'll take a look at that.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

1995hoo

Nothing too exotic here. This morning we stopped at Reagan Airport and then went to Arlington Cemetery to visit my father's grave, so we exited Virginia into DC (Columbia Island) via the GW Parkway, crossed back into Virginia on Memorial Avenue, crossed back to DC on Memorial Avenue again, and returned to Virginia on Washington Boulevard.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SkyPesos

Went to Pittsburgh last week, and drove on somewhat out of the way routes instead of the obvious direct one.
Left Ohio: US 22 WV border
Entered Ohio: I-76 PA border

Rothman

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 11, 2021, 08:42:25 AM
Went to Pittsburgh last week, and drove on somewhat out of the way routes instead of the obvious direct one.
You missed a crossing(s)...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on July 11, 2021, 08:47:54 AM

Actually, no he didn't, since this thread is about entering and leaving your home state. He lives in Ohio, so the pertinent crossings are where he left Ohio (into WV) and where he re-entered Ohio (from PA). The WV-PA crossing is irrelevant for purposes of this thread.

It's like my trip where I left Kentucky via the bridge at Ashland into Ohio, and re-entered Kentucky via WV 37/KY 23. Or when I left Kentucky via the Ironton-Russell bridge into Ohio, and returned to Kentucky via VA/KY 160 from Virginia. I had the OH/WV, WV/VA, and VA/TN, and TN/VA crossings in between.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on July 11, 2021, 03:41:21 PM

Actually, no he didn't, since this thread is about entering and leaving your home state. He lives in Ohio, so the pertinent crossings are where he left Ohio (into WV) and where he re-entered Ohio (from PA). The WV-PA crossing is irrelevant for purposes of this thread.

It's like my trip where I left Kentucky via the bridge at Ashland into Ohio, and re-entered Kentucky via WV 37/KY 23. Or when I left Kentucky via the Ironton-Russell bridge into Ohio, and returned to Kentucky via VA/KY 160 from Virginia. I had the OH/WV, WV/VA, and VA/TN, and TN/VA crossings in between.
You both missed a crossing(s)...

SkyPesos

Did Ohio get split into multiple states overnight, and I happen to not know about it?

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on July 11, 2021, 04:34:59 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 11, 2021, 03:41:21 PM

You both missed a crossing(s)...

Yeah, I'
Quote from: SkyPesos on July 11, 2021, 05:39:09 PM
Did Ohio get split into multiple states overnight, and I happen to not know about it?

Yeah, I'm not getting it. He left Ohio on US 22 and re-entered Ohio on I-76.

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rothman

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on July 11, 2021, 09:21:36 PM

This.

In my recent (long) post, I said I left and re-entered Kansas on I-35 twice each recently, and I said I went to Texas both times.  I gave no information about what highways I used to cross the Oklahoma/Texas border, yet no one had a problem with that because that isn't what this thread is about.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on July 12, 2021, 01:54:31 PM

This.

In my recent (long) post, I said I left and re-entered Kansas on I-35 twice each recently, and I said I went to Texas both times.  I gave no information about what highways I used to cross the Oklahoma/Texas border, yet no one had a problem with that because that isn't what this thread is about.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on July 12, 2021, 02:45:48 PM

This.

Stop posting this, you're being disruptive.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 13, 2021, 12:55:37 PM
Quote from: Rothman on July 12, 2021, 02:45:48 PM

This.

Stop posting this, you're being disruptive.

I'm still waiting for him to clarify which crossing(s) was/were missed.

Flint1979

I was in Pittsburgh about 3-4 weeks ago and took US-30 most of the way across Ohio which was pretty nice actually. I was shunpiking so I didn't want to use the toll roads. It was nice to be able to bypass the Cleveland area because shunpiking to Pittsburgh from where I live involves going right into Cleveland but I was heading out to clinch the rest of Ohio and take a different route.

Flint1979

SkyPesos

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 13, 2021, 10:52:23 PM
I was in Pittsburgh about 3-4 weeks ago and took US-30 most of the way across Ohio which was pretty nice actually. I was shunpiking so I didn't want to use the toll roads. It was nice to be able to bypass the Cleveland area because shunpiking to Pittsburgh from where I live involves going right into Cleveland but I was heading out to clinch the rest of Ohio and take a different route.
I actually wanted to use the Ohio Turnpike, just to have a taste of what it's like driving on my state's toll road for the first time, which is why I took I-76/I-71 the way home. Also, it wasn't a bad option from where we started in Pittsburgh (Cranberry Township).

Flint1979

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 13, 2021, 11:10:12 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 13, 2021, 10:52:23 PM
I actually wanted to use the Ohio Turnpike, just to have a taste of what it's like driving on my state's toll road for the first time, which is why I took I-76/I-71 the way home. Also, it wasn't a bad option from where we started in Pittsburgh (Cranberry Township).
Honestly I could have told ya what it's like, just like any other Interstate basically going across boring farm fields. I'm not sure where exactly you were heading to so I put Cincinnati in as the destination and it says it's only 19 miles longer and 15 minutes more time to take the route that you took compared to the fastest route between Cranberry Township and Cincinnati. Even taking that route how much of the Ohio Turnpike did you experience?

hbelkins

I'm presuming on his eastward trip to PGH, he exited the interstate system at Cambridge and took US 22 over to Steubenville. I've done that twice, once in each direction. The first time was westbound, and I remembered it as being a long and agonizing slog once the improved route ran out. But I also hadn't slept well the night before and was yawning the whole way. So I did it eastbound a few years ago traveling from Columbus to the Ohio River valley, opting for US 22 over staying on I-70 and then taking OH 7 north. (I-70 to I-77 to the US 22 exit). The second trip wasn't as bad as I remembered the first trip being. It was an interesting drive.

SkyPesos

Quote from: hbelkins on July 14, 2021, 10:57:48 AM
I'm presuming on his eastward trip to PGH, he exited the interstate system at Cambridge and took US 22 over to Steubenville. I've done that twice, once in each direction. The first time was westbound, and I remembered it as being a long and agonizing slog once the improved route ran out. But I also hadn't slept well the night before and was yawning the whole way. So I did it eastbound a few years ago traveling from Columbus to the Ohio River valley, opting for US 22 over staying on I-70 and then taking OH 7 north. (I-70 to I-77 to the US 22 exit). The second trip wasn't as bad as I remembered the first trip being. It was an interesting drive.
Nah I avoid using I-70 completely. Did I-71->OH 315->I-670->I-270->OH 161->OH 16->US 36->US 250->US 22. OH 161/16 is mostly 4 lane, and so is US 36 west of I-77. It was a pretty nice drive as there's very little truck traffic east of Newark. Also, I used I-70 east of Columbus way too many times (on various trips to NYC and DC), and am bored of it.

mariethefoxy

both leaving and reentering on the George Washington Bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.