News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's the highest wind speed you've ever encountered?

Started by hotdogPi, May 09, 2020, 01:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

I haven't been keeping track until recently. For me, it's 27 mph (sustained) about two weeks ago. Light rain, very heavy wind.

I remember standing outside during Hurricane Jose 2 1/2 years ago, but I was on the edge, and it was only 21 mph where I was.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

By far Hurricane Bob when it hit New England in 1991.  I was in western Connecticut at the time and fairly far north of the coast of Long Island Sounds.  I seem to remember the news stations throwing out 80 MPH sustained gusts for the Danbury Area.  Definitely topped over 50 MPH numerous times during dust storms and tropical depressions elsewhere. 

jakeroot

Mount Washington, NH, back in either 2011 or 2012. I don't recall the wind speed, but standing up was difficult. Had to have been a good 30 or 40 mph.

ozarkman417

Can't remember the speed, but in Wall, SD during a severe thunderstorm there was a wind so strong that the instant I opened the door the lock broke off and flew across the entire cabin. I'm guessing 60-70 mph? Of course, 60-70 mph in a forested, hilly area and a flat plain are two totally different things.

kphoger

I remember grilling with my grandpa during 70-mph winds for my high school graduation party.  We had to grill just inside the garage, or else we couldn't maintain the coals.  When the wind blew the trash can lid down the street, I ran to go get it and could barely make it back home again–with the can lid acting like a sail.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US 89

I was once in a very impressive windstorm that actually wound up with its own Wikipedia article. A few gusts over 100 mph were reported in the area, but I don’t think it got much above 70 mph where I was.

Other than that, I’ve experienced 60-70 mph winds several times, during various thunderstorms and winter/spring cold fronts in Salt Lake.

CNGL-Leudimin

Another thing I don't quite track. On the Northern coast of Spain sometimes a sudden gale can form, and back in August 2011 (unseasonably for them, as they usually occur in Spring and Fall) I had to endure one. In one such storm winds can exceed 60 mph. I also live in a quite windy area, and is not rare to get wind advisories.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

webny99

March of I think it was 2018 (?) saw a massive windstorm and widespread power outages around here.
There was an 81 mph gust recorded at ROC. I have never been in anything quite like it before or since.

1995hoo

I don't know, but I do remember driving my car during sustained 90-mph winds when Hurricane Fran hit Durham in 1996. Some friends and I had been out at a pub and I drove back to my apartment and parked some distance away in a lot with no trees around it. Good thing I did that–the only space in my building's lot was under a tree and in the morning that tree was in the space where I would have parked.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ET21

90-100 mph while chasing in north-central IL in June 2016
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

allniter89

125 w/hurricane Opal. That was the 1st hurricane that scared me a little. IIRC it was a large slower mover so we were in the wind for 12 hrs?
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

SectorZ

July 2010, when I lived in Fitchburg, we had a very severe t'storm roar through. Had about what I would guess was 75-85 MPH wind gusts, but I don't know officially.

Officially the hardest I've stood outside in, is, like so many others here, Mount Washington, gusting to about 60 MPH.

CoreySamson

I lived through Hurricane Gustav in 2008 while I lived in Baton Rouge. It had category 1 winds there, so maybe 85 mph?
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.