News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Eisenhower Transportation Legacy Program (IKE)

Started by J N Winkler, January 17, 2020, 02:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Fact sheet

A few headlines:

*  $9.9 billion (with bonding), versus the $8.6 billion originally projected for T-WORKS (the current program)

*  T-WORKS shortfalls:  $1.4 billion preservation ($3.2 billion spent, $4.6 billion planned); modernization and expansion $500 million ($1.2 billion spent, $1.7 billion planned)

*  A share of expansion/modernization projects now to be selected biennially

*  "Limited" alternative-delivery contracting (i.e., more design-builds like the Johnson County Gateway)

*  Greater emphasis on local match

*  Preservation to be given enhanced priority

It has been separately reported that the "Bank of KDOT" will not close until 2021, although the amount of revenue diverted away from transportation will be less this year.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

PastTense

What are the major projects under consideration?

J N Winkler

Quote from: PastTense on January 19, 2020, 02:18:57 PMWhat are the major projects under consideration?

I am not aware that KDOT has released a list of "core" projects for the ten-year plan (the "core" is supposed to be what gets built regardless of the biennial selections), but I'd expect the almost $2 billion left undone under T-WORKS to be rolled over into the new program.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

mvak36

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 19, 2020, 02:49:25 PM
Quote from: PastTense on January 19, 2020, 02:18:57 PMWhat are the major projects under consideration?

I am not aware that KDOT has released a list of "core" projects for the ten-year plan (the "core" is supposed to be what gets built regardless of the biennial selections), but I'd expect the almost $2 billion left undone under T-WORKS to be rolled over into the new program.

I agree with you there.

I ran across this the other day: https://www.ksdot.org/LocalConsult/LocalConsult.asp

They had public meetings at the end of last year. They posted links to Project lists for each of the regions on there. These are just preliminary lists though. It will interesting to see what will end up on the final project lists.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 17, 2020, 02:51:17 PM
*  "Limited" alternative-delivery contracting (i.e., more design-builds like the Johnson County Gateway)

My friend, who has attended multiple meetings and presentations based on this and has specifically asked KDOT about the alternative-delivery contracting aspect, told me the emphasis really is on "limited".  According to him, design-build is a system that has not and does not suit KDOT's needs.

He is actually trying to push for a system (can't remember the name) in which the owner first chooses a designer and a contractor, then the designer and contractor work together up to a certain point, then take their work thus far with a price tag back to the owner for approval.  This helps solve the problem of missing communication link, making it more of a communication triangle.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

In NY, design-build has been proven to be more expensive than design-bid-build.  The only advantage has been shortened schedules.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on January 27, 2020, 01:32:28 PMMy friend, who has attended multiple meetings and presentations based on this and has specifically asked KDOT about the alternative-delivery contracting aspect, told me the emphasis really is on "limited".  According to him, design-build is a system that has not and does not suit KDOT's needs.

It does seem logical to me that this would be KDOT's position.  The agency has a good PS&E review process and a deep bench of in-house engineering expertise, and it is hard to deploy either to satisfactory effect within the compressed timelines associated with design-build.  I think it is significant that the only D-B so far has been in the district that overlaps metro KC.

Quote from: kphoger on January 27, 2020, 01:32:28 PMHe is actually trying to push for a system (can't remember the name) in which the owner first chooses a designer and a contractor, then the designer and contractor work together up to a certain point, then take their work thus far with a price tag back to the owner for approval.  This helps solve the problem of missing communication link, making it more of a communication triangle.

This sounds to me like Construction Manager At Risk (CMAR), which the City of Wichita has been using for the (controversial) water plant contract.

Quote from: Rothman on January 27, 2020, 01:56:25 PMIn NY, design-build has been proven to be more expensive than design-bid-build.  The only advantage has been shortened schedules.

Ohio DOT found something similar to be true early in their experience with design-build, but they still use it.  I've seen other agencies argue that they use D-B because the savings from reduced cost inflation (due to the shorter timelines) are more than enough to compensate for the added costs resulting from design-related uncertainties that are not resolved before construction begins.  This makes me wonder to what extent efficiency comparisons between D-B and conventional contracting compare outturn costs on an equal basis, and take account of downstream costs such as increased maintenance liabilities for nonstandard fixtures and the like.

It's certainly possible for D-B to blow up in an agency's face in truly spectacular fashion, as happened with Oregon DOT with the US 20 Pioneer Mountain relocation.

In any event, D-B can't defeat the underlying reality of construction:  the finished product can be delivered on time, cheaply, or with good workmanship.  Pick any two.

route56

https://governor.kansas.gov/governor-signs-bipartisan-transportation-plan-into-law/

The Governor's press office has announced the signing of Senate Bill 173, establishing the next transportation program.

With it comes a new name: the Eisenhower legacy transportation program.

Key points from the Governor's Press Release:

• All remaining T-WORKS projects will be funded. They will be let no later than the June, 2022 letting.

• Preservation will be given priority

• Expansion and modernization projects will be selected biennially.

• Every county is required to receive at leas $8 million in improvements.

• The bill requires KDOT to develop minimum spending ranges for KDOT districts using a metric-driven process, and 40 percent of the minimum investments must occur within the first five years of the program.  T-WORKS projects must be delivered and are not included in the minimums.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

mvak36

I had some free time today so I tried to see if I could find any info on the remaining T-Works projects that they identified in the Local Consult meetings.

I found some info on the US-166 Highway improvements (Project number 401 on the Local consult meeting handout) in Cherokee county.

What caught my attention was the corridor map: http://tworks.ksdot.org/ProjDocuments/US-166_Corridor_Map_06-01-2014.pdf. I didn't realize that they already were this far along on this segment. It'll be interesting to see over the next few years (assuming it gets let and doesn't get delayed again).

rte66man

Quote from: mvak36 on May 08, 2020, 05:30:07 PM
I had some free time today so I tried to see if I could find any info on the remaining T-Works projects that they identified in the Local Consult meetings.

I found some info on the US-166 Highway improvements (Project number 401 on the Local consult meeting handout) in Cherokee county.

What caught my attention was the corridor map: http://tworks.ksdot.org/ProjDocuments/US-166_Corridor_Map_06-01-2014.pdf. I didn't realize that they already were this far along on this segment. It'll be interesting to see over the next few years (assuming it gets let and doesn't get delayed again).

What is the AADT for this stretch?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

mvak36

Quote from: rte66man on May 10, 2020, 01:16:59 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on May 08, 2020, 05:30:07 PM

What is the AADT for this stretch?

Here's what I found: https://www.ksdot.org/Assets/wwwksdotorg/bureaus/burTransPlan/maps/CountMaps/Districts/countmap2018.pdf

Info for Baxter Springs (this looks like a different year than the data shown in the previous link): https://www.ksdot.org/Assets/wwwksdotorg/bureaus/burTransPlan/maps/CountMaps/Districts/countmap2018.pdf

I was looking through the summary of the bill that was signed and found this:

Previously Selected Projects

The bill requires the Program to provide for the completion of modernization and expansion projects selected for construction   under   the Transportation Works for Kansas Program (T-Works) [KSA 68-2314b] and that those projects be let prior to July 1, 2023. The bill requires the Secretary to let to construction contract at least one phase of each remaining T-Works project before any modernization or expansion project, or both, under the Program is let to construction. The bill allows completing a reconstruction of an interchange at I-135 and 36th Street in Harvey County to be optional. If that project is not constructed, the bill requires the estimated construction costs for that project to be used on other construction projects in KDOT’s south central district.

It will be interesting to see how much of the freeway will be let by the July 1, 2023 date. I'm not sure how many phases it's split into.

EDIT: I did find a list of the unfinished T-WORKS projects on the T-WORKS home page. I can't link to the pdf since it was embedded into an article, but it's under the post "Update on the T-Works Program December 2019". The US166 project will have a "4-lane freeway for a portion and a 2-lane for the remainder".

mvak36

The City of Overland Park has a site for US 69 improvements: https://www.opkansas.org/city-services/traffic-roads-transportation/u-s-69-improvements/

The only info on the site right now is the results of a high-level study regarding toll lane feasibility.

mvak36

KDOT will announce the Eisenhower Legacy Transportation Program (IKE) projects this Thursday.

http://www.ksdot.org/Assets/wwwksdotorg/Headquarters/PDF_Files/pressrelease2020/Media_Advisory_Announcement.pdf

EDIT:

Here's the website for the IKE program: http://www.ksdot.org/IKE.asp

They have posted the projects they are adding to the development pipeline. List & Map

Link to recorded Webinar

Press Release:
QuoteForty highway projects selected for IKE development pipeline

Governor Laura Kelly and Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) Secretary Julie Lorenz announced today that preliminary engineering work will begin on 40 highway modernization and expansion projects.

These are the first projects to move forward under the Eisenhower Transportation Legacy Program (IKE), which was created in March.

“These transportation investments come at a critical time for our state’s economy. A robust development pipeline will help jumpstart our economic recovery by creating jobs and allowing the state to take advantage of potential federal stimulus dollars,” said Governor Kelly. “I’m thankful to the Legislature for passing IKE, a critical employment tool that will help put more Kansans back to work.”

“A modern transportation system moves people, freight and technology and these 40 projects will allow us to do all those things better in every region of the state,” Secretary Lorenz said. “We’ve selected smaller projects, which can advance to construction quickly, and larger projects that will employ many people in all phases of development or construction.”

More than 2,000 Kansans participated in local consult discussions that shaped the IKE program and modernized how transportation should be delivered in Kansas.

Here are a few notable features:
•IKE is a rolling program, which means major highway modernization and expansion projects will be selected every two years rather than once a decade as previous programs did. This ensures the State can address the most pressing needs and adjust to fluctuating revenues.
•Emphasis on right-sized, practical improvements.  For example, utilizing passing lanes rather than 4-lane expressways where applicable.
•New partnership programs (Cost Share, Local Bridge) between the State and local governments to address more needs.
•Investments in broadband and new technologies.
•Continued commitment to multimodal transportation with public transit, aviation, short-line rail and bike/pedestrian programs.

Previously, the only projects in KDOT’s development pipeline were the remaining T-WORKS projects.  The development pipeline includes all the phases of work prior to construction such as design, acquiring right-of-way or moving utilities. KDOT is not committing to constructing these 40 projects, but this will allow the necessary advance work to begin. 

“I’ve directed KDOT to explore all options for accelerating project delivery for these 40 projects and for the delayed T-WORKS projects, which we remain committed to constructing,” the Governor said. “Transportation investments provide short-term and long-term economic benefits to communities and we’re committed to capturing as many of those opportunities as we can.” The 2009 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, the last stimulus for transportation infrastructure, prioritized shovel-ready projects. Currently, discussions are underway for a new federal stimulus bill for infrastructure, which will likely have similar requirements. Today’s announcement will allow KDOT to get more projects shovel ready.

“Thanks to Governor Kelly, the Legislature and Kansans, IKE was tailor made for this moment,” Lorenz said.  “It provides us the flexibility we need now and in the future. Today’s announcement is only the beginning. We know we have much more work to do.

”More information about IKE, including the list of 40 projects selected, is available at http://www.ksdot.org/IKE.asp

route56

To the surprise of absolutely no one, in District 1 the US 69 expansion in Johnson County and the South Lawrence Trafficway in Douglas County have been added to the development pipeline, along with replacement of the Centennial Bridge in Leavenworth and the Polk-Quincy viaduct in Topeka.

In District 5 (Wichita): The big projects announced as part of the development pipeline include reconstruction of the north junction I-135/I-235 interchange and the widening of part of the K-96 northeast Wichita freeway from 4 lanes to 6.

ADMIN and/or Johnathan: Could you change the subject line of the first message in this thread to reflect the new name of this KDOT program? (Done. —S.)
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

mvak36

Quote from: route56 on May 14, 2020, 09:27:37 PM
To the surprise of absolutely no one, in District 1 the US 69 expansion in Johnson County and the South Lawrence Trafficway in Douglas County have been added to the development pipeline, along with replacement of the Centennial Bridge in Leavenworth and the Polk-Quincy viaduct in Topeka.

In District 5 (Wichita): The big projects announced as part of the development pipeline include reconstruction of the north junction I-135/I-235 interchange and the widening of part of the K-96 northeast Wichita freeway from 4 lanes to 6.

Hopefully some of these big projects will be moved from the development to the construction phase soon. Secretary Lorenz did say that they will let at least one phase of the remaining T-Works projects by the end of 2021, so it will be interesting to see which one of these will go first.

Sani

Could we get the Blue Project of Focus435 finished? Separating the ramps on NB 69 to College Blvd. and to 435, and building a flyover ramp to WB 435, would alleviate a lot of the traffic.

Link to the Environmental Assessment Figures, 8MB PDF

mvak36

Quote from: Sani on May 16, 2020, 01:36:24 PM
Could we get the Blue Project of Focus435 finished? Separating the ramps on NB 69 to College Blvd. and to 435, and building a flyover ramp to WB 435, would alleviate a lot of the traffic.

Link to the Environmental Assessment Figures, 8MB PDF

In the Pre-Planning Analysis Summary I found on Overland Park's US69 Improvements site, they do have maps of what the improvements would look like in the two scenarios. This is all still preliminary though. I do agree with you that the changes you mentioned are definitely needed.

Sani

Quote from: mvak36 on May 16, 2020, 03:34:45 PMIn the Pre-Planning Analysis Summary I found on Overland Park's US69 Improvements site, they do have maps of what the improvements would look like in the two scenarios. This is all still preliminary though. I do agree with you that the changes you mentioned are definitely needed.

Thank you for the link. It looks like Scenario 1 includes the final parts of the Focus435 project, such as the SPUI at College Blvd. and the flyover. I think I can live with the Lexus lanes they intend to build, given the other improvements they're also making as part of it.

Now if we could get Phase 3 of the Johnson County Gateway built, then we would be in good shape for a few decades, at least north of 151st Street on 35 and 69.

ddonnelly19

QuoteThank you for the link. It looks like Scenario 1 includes the final parts of the Focus435 project, such as the SPUI at College Blvd. and the flyover. I think I can live with the Lexus lanes they intend to build, given the other improvements they're also making as part of it.

It looks like both scenarios involve building new bridges for 69 over College, and having at least part of a SPUI with a dedicated onramp to 69 N only.  The 2nd scenario leaves the existing NB exit ramps to College, but uses the existing NB bridge as a dedicated offramp to 435 E

mvak36

They have posted an updated schedule for the remaining T-Works projects. http://www.ksdot.org/Assets/wwwksdotorg/IKE/Documents/T-WORKS_Construction_Progress_5-26-20.pdf

These projects will need to have at least one phase of construction let before any of the IKE projects can begin construction. According to the link posted, that will be after Dec 2021.

In March 2020, the Kansas Legislature approved and Governor Kelly signed into law the Eisenhower Legacy Transportation Program (IKE), a 10-year transportation program that preserves the existing system and provides flexibility to address current and future opportunities and challenges.

While it is exciting to start development work on new projects, delayed T-WORKS projects must be completed and promises delivered to Kansas communities. Currently there are 18 T-WORKS projects remaining, and KDOT is working to deliver those projects as quickly as possible.

Scheduled letting dates are noted on the construction report. As projects move to construction, a public information meeting will be held to review engineering plans and the construction schedule. For more information, email ike@ks.gov

Plutonic Panda

" On a central, urban corridor like U.S. 69, building an additional general-purpose lane would not alleviate congestion because that lane would soon be full, perpetuating the congestion problem. Express lanes are an innovative congestion management tool and could make sense on U.S. 69 where bottlenecks occur daily during peak travel times."

From the OP us-69 improvement website. This is so dumb that they would make this claim. An easy translation is "we are pricing poor people out of this lane for those that can afford it."  Another slap in the face to the working class.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 28, 2020, 03:22:15 PM
" On a central, urban corridor like U.S. 69, building an additional general-purpose lane would not alleviate congestion because that lane would soon be full, perpetuating the congestion problem. Express lanes are an innovative congestion management tool and could make sense on U.S. 69 where bottlenecks occur daily during peak travel times."

From the OP us-69 improvement website. This is so dumb that they would make this claim. An easy translation is "we are pricing poor people out of this lane for those that can afford it."  Another slap in the face to the working class.

You've questioned the second sentence of the quotation.  You would not be wrong to say that the second sentence is debatable.  But can you disprove the first sentence?  (Spoiler alert: decades worth of research says you can't.)
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 28, 2020, 05:39:14 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 28, 2020, 03:22:15 PM

You've questioned the second sentence of the quotation.  You would not be wrong to say that the second sentence is debatable.  But can you disprove the first sentence?  (Spoiler alert: decades worth of research says you can't.)
No you are right induced demand is here to doom us all so let's just toll everything because free lanes will fill right up.

What a crock of shit this assumption is. Oklahoma widened I-40 years ago and it still hasn't filled up. The truth is latent demand is the real player at work and the department doesn't want to admit it. No distinction could possibly be made of how many new trips occurred because a third lane was added even though that would be the first thought if it did fill up. Don't mislead the public. If the freeway needs ten lanes then do it. If you don't have the money then say so. Don't try and spoon feed people the induced demand bullshit because that's exactly what it is, bullshit.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 28, 2020, 06:33:00 PM
No you are right induced demand is here to doom us all so let's just toll everything because free lanes will fill right up.

What a crock of shit this assumption is. Oklahoma widened I-40 years ago and it still hasn't filled up. The truth is latent demand is the real player at work and the department doesn't want to admit it. No distinction could possibly be made of how many new trips occurred because a third lane was added even though that would be the first thought if it did fill up. Don't mislead the public. If the freeway needs ten lanes then do it. If you don't have the money then say so. Don't try and spoon feed people the induced demand bullshit because that's exactly what it is, bullshit.

Yeah, you tell 'em!

Funny how the induced demand doubters thought Houston "built its way out of congestion" years ago, and now we're finding out it actually didn't.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 28, 2020, 06:38:45 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 28, 2020, 06:33:00 PM

Yeah, you tell 'em!

Funny how the induced demand doubters thought Houston "built its way out of congestion" years ago, and now we're finding out it actually didn't.
From my experience the Katy freeway flows fine where it was widened, it is the bottleneck that causes it to back up. Dallas has better flowing traffic than Portland, OR. That's saying something.

But hey way to dodge my points with a "yeah you tell em"  response. It's cute.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.