News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Crazy things you've found in Google StreetView

Started by rickmastfan67, April 07, 2010, 03:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoDakInterstateEnthusiast

"Please like, comment, and share on MySpace, not your space, you freak of nature"

ethanhopkin14

This reminds me of another entry on this thread.  At the Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota tristate marker, according to the street blades, both roads have different names in different states.  The weird one is the road running north along the Minnesota/North Dakota state line.  Depending on which side of the road you are on, the road has a different name. 

Scott5114

That's not unusual along city limits around here (OKC and Norman have totally different street grids, so every time their limits meet, this happens).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

davewiecking

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on March 01, 2022, 01:56:28 PM
This reminds me of another entry on this thread.  At the Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota tristate marker, according to the street blades, both roads have different names in different states.  The weird on is the road running north along the Minnesota/North Dakota state line.  Depending on which side of the road you are on, the road has a different name.

I'm curious if you know how close to accurate the Minn/SD state boundary is on Google Maps. The marker is shown just off the NW corner, yet the line is shown just off the east edge of the asphalt. But the fact that you can be driving north on a 2 lane road known as 10th Ave in Minn, pull a Ubie and instantly be on 488th Ave in SD seems rather unique. Not quite the same as passing through an intersection and finding the road has a different name. Or approaching a slow moving vehicle on 10th Ave, moving over to 488th Ave to pass, then moving back to 10th Ave. But this assumes that the state line is truly in the middle of the asphalt. If the line is on the edge of the asphalt, I suppose it's possible to have an address on 10th Ave in Minn, but only be able to access your driveway from 488th Ave in SD.

CNGL-Leudimin

:) (US 52 somewhere in North Dakota)

(Although I prefer to use :sombrero:)
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

US 89

Quote from: davewiecking on March 01, 2022, 03:56:40 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on March 01, 2022, 01:56:28 PM
This reminds me of another entry on this thread.  At the Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota tristate marker, according to the street blades, both roads have different names in different states.  The weird on is the road running north along the Minnesota/North Dakota state line.  Depending on which side of the road you are on, the road has a different name.

I’m curious if you know how close to accurate the Minn/SD state boundary is on Google Maps. The marker is shown just off the NW corner, yet the line is shown just off the east edge of the asphalt. But the fact that you can be driving north on a 2 lane road known as 10th Ave in Minn, pull a Ubie and instantly be on 488th Ave in SD seems rather unique. Not quite the same as passing through an intersection and finding the road has a different name. Or approaching a slow moving vehicle on 10th Ave, moving over to 488th Ave to pass, then moving back to 10th Ave. But this assumes that the state line is truly in the middle of the asphalt. If the line is on the edge of the asphalt, I suppose it’s possible to have an address on 10th Ave in Minn, but only be able to access your driveway from 488th Ave in SD.

Meh… this is fairly common in places like Utah, where numbered streets run along city limits in places that use city-based grids. Go west from I-15’s exit 315 along the North Salt Lake-Woods Cross line, and you’ll find the south side is 1100 North and the north side is 2600 South. Same deal with the part of Utah 241 that follows the Orem-Lindon line, which is 600 South and 1600 North on different sides of the street.

snowc

https://goo.gl/maps/pNnj5EAfVS6EKjjL9
A plane! In Wilmington!  :wow:

Scott5114

Is someone handing out some sort of trophy for "Most Mundane North Carolina GSV Link Posted To AARoads" that I'm not aware of?

7/8

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 02, 2022, 04:18:57 PM
Is someone handing out some sort of trophy for "Most Mundane North Carolina GSV Link Posted To AARoads" that I'm not aware of?

Yes.

Scott5114

It doesn't matter how pretty you make the link, it's still not worth clicking on.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 02, 2022, 05:11:20 PM
It doesn't matter how pretty you make the link, it's still not worth clicking on.

That's fair, but I would still rather scroll past a clean link than one that's so long it has its own scroll bar.  :crazy:

CNGL-Leudimin

I usually mask the long URLs with what I want to post, so I don't need the short URL. Like this: Orienteering control flag.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

snowc

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: US 89 on February 10, 2022, 08:57:45 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on February 10, 2022, 08:39:55 AM
House is dangerously close to the highway

https://goo.gl/maps/aW9SpD1ihtDr2PiEA

... I've seen way worse than that.

agreed. there's one not far from me where the deck comes almost to the edge of the highway, though 30 feet above it.

edited to add gsv image:
https://goo.gl/maps/rqQmBj66GvstrazS6
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

ethanhopkin14

JoePCool14

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on March 15, 2022, 01:53:52 PM
These two dudes were having fun!

My mind assumed something much worse here, but this is actually really funny and wholesome.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

GenExpwy

My question is, were they intentionally copying the artwork on the bridge pier?

empirestate

Quote from: GenExpwy on March 16, 2022, 02:48:11 AM

My question is, were they intentionally copying the artwork on the bridge pier?

I think they're just showing some Blythe spirit. <ducks>

webny99

andrepoiy

CNGL-Leudimin

Strangely, you can continue on Street View on the "old" route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.