News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Crazy things you've found in Google StreetView

Started by rickmastfan67, April 07, 2010, 03:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 29, 2022, 08:48:17 AM
Strangely, you can continue on Street View on the "old" route.

I can't: it dead-ends right where the road veers off. (I actually can get to the Street View on the misaligned section, but only by skipping ahead.) Going backwards though, it works fine.

empirestate

X99

https://goo.gl/maps/o6ypEdgeH3rcrjvF9

not crazy but odd, the street view of the Omaha Street widening project's finished first phase cuts off westbound at the Oshkosh Street intersection- which is no longer accessible from the westbound side due to the new raised median. Why would the car stop recording here instead of going to, say, Cross Street, which is still accessible from the westbound lanes?

In addition to that, the eastbound recording from the same time DOES go to Cross Street (and all the way through the construction zone further west) but detours through the Black Hills Bicycles parking lot instead of staying on Omaha.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

That's just a stitching error. There's thousands of them on GSV.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

I saw one the other day that looked even more real than that one, but I can't remember now where it was.

empirestate

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 30, 2022, 03:08:37 AM
That's just a stitching error. There's thousands of them on GSV.

But one with a very Escher-esque result (look at the bases...)

webny99

BuildTheRussian

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

dlsterner

Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 23, 2022, 07:02:00 PM
Quote from: BuildTheRussian on April 23, 2022, 11:39:23 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5936185,-114.6149228,3a,47.1y,167.45h,86.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJnPOEXoJLLbXf1Ss03gLpQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Both the road and slip lane yield to each other.

It looks more like the slip lane has two yield signs, but the one on the left is horribly placed.

Plus both yield signs are back-to-back with a "Wrong Way" sign, seemingly implying that both yields are for the slip lane.

ErmineNotyours

Prudhoe Bay is lucky to have Google Streetview coverage at all, but there's another Google car?

(No, it's not driving past a giant mirror.)

webny99

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on May 03, 2022, 07:01:37 AM
Prudhoe Bay is lucky to have Google Streetview coverage at all, but there's another Google car?

Maybe they're traveling together for safety.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on May 03, 2022, 08:22:35 AM

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on May 03, 2022, 07:01:37 AM

Maybe they're traveling together for safety.

Based on my time looking at GSV, I'm assuming that's the case.  Multiple Google cars traveling together seems to be more common in remote areas and on unpaved roads.  I imagine that each one serves as 'chase vehicle' for the other.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

Why are both of these signs facing the opposite direction?

kphoger

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 05, 2022, 02:31:42 PM

They were facing the right way three years earlier.  It appears the signs were turned around while the station was closed off.  GSV shows the station was open in 2015 but closed in 2016.  The signs are gone entirely as of 2021.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2022, 02:58:45 PM

They were facing the right way three years earlier.  It appears the signs were turned around while the station was closed off.  GSV shows the station was open in 2015 but closed in 2016.  The signs are gone entirely as of 2021.

Seems like a waste of time/money.  If you are going to close the station, just take the sign down.  Don't hang it backwards to then take it down. 

Scott5114

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 05, 2022, 03:04:09 PM

Seems like a waste of time/money.  If you are going to close the station, just take the sign down.  Don't hang it backwards to then take it down. 

Presumably they did that because, in the interim, there were plans to reopen the station. Hanging the signs backward is a fairly cheap way of "storing" them if there's a chance they're going to be needed again soonish.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 05, 2022, 05:19:49 PM

Presumably they did that because, in the interim, there were plans to reopen the station. Hanging the signs backward is a fairly cheap way of "storing" them if there's a chance they're going to be needed again soonish.

Most places would just put a bag or tarp over them.

empirestate

I just figured they still wanted to be able to carry out business as usual during hurricane evacuations.

JoePCool14

Speaking of wasting time and money, why did they bother putting up two signs when they could've just put up one after the merge point?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

CoreySamson

Saw this in a Youtube video; apparently some GSV from Louisville, Mississippi in 2014 was taken right after a massive tornado went through town, leading to stunning shots like these: (see 2014 imagery)

- Metal sheeting wrapped around a tree and foundations stripped clean
- Insane view of the tornado scar
- Tossed cars
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.