AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: US '191Y' - A real route?  (Read 4921 times)

DJStephens

• Last Login: May 16, 2022, 07:05:26 AM
Re: US '191Y' - A real route?
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2020, 11:11:12 AM »

Yes am aware of the US 70 alignment in the Gila Valley.  Lived in Safford from mid '18 to mid '19.  At a geotechnical firm (on the corner of 1st Avenue and 8th street). 
   Have to wonder why they didn't propose an alignment for 70 on the N side of the Gila River, up on the  mesa, S of where Safford Mine is today.   Plenty of room up there, and it is up off the floodplain of the River itself.   Guessing Gila Box reservation planning, possibly.   A ROW of generous width could have been established, with most ranch access preserved, and a few interchanges.  E and W end, US 191, and Safford Mine S access road.  Yes have observed sulfuric acid tankers exceeding the speed limit in Pima, Thatcher and Safford themselves.  And going through lights that have turned red.   
   Believe it would be of more value, however, to continue the current upgraded US 191 N (from MP 104/105) to connect to existing junction of 70 and 191 E of San Jose.   This would follow the high tension line, and then veer NNE to miss the irrigated farmlands E of Safford.   191 N of 70 could be double barreled fairly easily, until it reaches the foothills on the way to the original Morenci Mine.  Blasting, terracing, and alignment adjusting and improvement could get a divided four lane all the way to Four Way.  There is currently a Virginia Twin four lane 191 from Four Way west towards Clifton.  This should be upgraded so both sides have equivalent standards. 
   This entire scenario would get one a divided four lane all the way from Interstate 10 to the outskirts of the Morenci Mine complex. 

JKRhodes

• Ditat Deus

• Last Login: May 01, 2022, 01:12:23 PM
Re: US '191Y' - A real route?
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2020, 07:59:58 PM »

Yes am aware of the US 70 alignment in the Gila Valley.  Lived in Safford from mid '18 to mid '19.  At a geotechnical firm (on the corner of 1st Avenue and 8th street). 
   Have to wonder why they didn't propose an alignment for 70 on the N side of the Gila River, up on the  mesa, S of where Safford Mine is today.   Plenty of room up there, and it is up off the floodplain of the River itself.   Guessing Gila Box reservation planning, possibly.   A ROW of generous width could have been established, with most ranch access preserved, and a few interchanges.  E and W end, US 191, and Safford Mine S access road.  Yes have observed sulfuric acid tankers exceeding the speed limit in Pima, Thatcher and Safford themselves.  And going through lights that have turned red.   
   Believe it would be of more value, however, to continue the current upgraded US 191 N (from MP 104/105) to connect to existing junction of 70 and 191 E of San Jose.   This would follow the high tension line, and then veer NNE to miss the irrigated farmlands E of Safford.   191 N of 70 could be double barreled fairly easily, until it reaches the foothills on the way to the original Morenci Mine.  Blasting, terracing, and alignment adjusting and improvement could get a divided four lane all the way to Four Way.  There is currently a Virginia Twin four lane 191 from Four Way west towards Clifton.  This should be upgraded so both sides have equivalent standards. 
   This entire scenario would get one a divided four lane all the way from Interstate 10 to the outskirts of the Morenci Mine complex.

Cool. It's always nice to meet others with ties to this valley. I'm one of those people who keeps trying to leave, and keeps coming back, to Graham County. I was born here in '83. Lived in Las Cruces in 2005, Phoenix area 2006-2011, Morenci 2011-2016, and Salt Lake in 2018...

Yes I often fantasized about twinning the "Stretch" of US 191 between 131 and 140 at a minimum when I used to commute to Morenci.

The junction at "Three-Way" would be well served by a flyover for northbound US 191 traffic. I've seen northbound traffic get backed up from the stop sign all the way past the bridge and up the hill. When production and mill expansion projects were at full bore, morning rush hour traffic was worse than Phoenix, considering the amount of lanes available and the length of traffic queues.

Various ideas to bypass mine traffic around Clifton have been floated over the years and shot down.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.