News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highways getting Truncated

Started by AcE_Wolf_287, March 30, 2020, 04:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenarmy

The only reason US 95 needs to be axed in AZ is if it's going to be re-routed to Mexicali  :sleep:.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

roadman65

Quote from: Bitmapped on August 25, 2021, 10:19:43 PM
Quote from: AcE_Wolf_287 on August 24, 2021, 08:34:49 PM
as someone whos a big fan of US 21, they should've atleast kept it up to Parkersburg, before its complete removal out of ohio, & WV, it was only 700 miles long which is short for a Main N-S US Route (US 1, US 11, US 31, US 41 etc...)

Why? All of the route between Wytheville and Charleston was multiplexed with other routes, and north of Charleston, I-77's alignment is far superior. Having US 21 that whole distance would have just been unnecessary clutter.

US 5. It follows I-91 it's entire length.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: kenarmy on August 25, 2021, 10:46:30 PM
The only reason US 95 needs to be axed in AZ is if it's going to be re-routed to Mexicali  :sleep:.

Unless there is a Federal law that mandates that all border crossings be US or Interstate highways, there is no need for US 95 in Arizona whatsoever.  The whole route from the border to Bullhead City should be AZ 95.  The intersection of US 95 and AZ 95 is just plain idiotic.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

bugo

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 30, 2020, 08:16:56 PM
I think it makes sense but I still think US-27 and US-127 should have switched routes in Cincinnati.

This is getting into fantasy highways territory, but if this happened, the new US 127 could extend north of Fort Wayne via IN 3, US 6, IN 9 and M-66 to end at US 31 at Charlevoix. If this is too far north, you could end it at any of the US routes or Interstates M-66 meets along the way.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kenarmy

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on August 25, 2021, 11:48:46 PM

Unless there is a Federal law that mandates that all border crossings be US or Interstate highways, there is no need for US 95 in Arizona whatsoever.  The whole route from the border to Bullhead City should be AZ 95.  The intersection of US 95 and AZ 95 is just plain idiotic.
So you'd rather have a single route number for Bullhead City to Yuma than a transcontinental route that connects Las Vegas to Yuma  :hmmm:

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: kenarmy on August 26, 2021, 12:39:05 AM

So you'd rather have a single route number for Bullhead City to Yuma than a transcontinental route that connects Las Vegas to Yuma  :hmmm:

There is no single route that connects between those cities.  US 95 and AZ 95 are separate highways, and I doubt anyone in Yuma will travel US 95 via I-10 into California and Nevada, turning onto NV 163 into Laughlin before going over the bridge where it becomes AZ 95.

Besides, there is a gap within AZ 95 where travel into California via I-40 is required.  That's something else that needs to be fixed.  There are Mohave County roads that bridge the gap within Arizona, but that really doesn't count as of right now.  It's easily fixed.

US 95 is all but an irrelevancy in Arizona, save for Yuma to the border.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

US 89

I think the better move would be to just reroute US 95 onto AZ 95 and CA 62 between Quartzsite and Vidal Jct.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 26, 2021, 12:15:55 AM
Truncate US 61 to Dubuque.
Too long. Cut it down so it goes from the Northgate of LSU* to Graceland.#

* - before anyone says anything, US 61 was never routed near the LSU campus in Baton Rouge.
# - Yeah, I know its US 51 that goes by Graceland and not US 61.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Flint1979

I think that's the most confusing highway I have ever seen. US-95 just dumps into AZ-95 and US-95 takes a jog along I-10. To me if I was coming up to that junction I'd figure that US-95 ended there and AZ-95 was the route I was suppose to be on going north on US-95. I mean seriously you are going to give a different highway the same number but have that different highway meet up with the other highway with the same number. People are going to think it's suppose to be the same route.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 26, 2021, 08:09:21 AM
I think that's the most confusing highway I have ever seen. US-95 just dumps into AZ-95 and US-95 takes a jog along I-10. To me if I was coming up to that junction I'd figure that US-95 ended there and AZ-95 was the route I was suppose to be on going north on US-95. I mean seriously you are going to give a different highway the same number but have that different highway meet up with the other highway with the same number. People are going to think it's suppose to be the same route.

The weird part was that early US 95 in California and AZ 95 came to be around the same time.  I'm convinced Arizona was looking for US 95 to enter the state somewhere around Parker which is why they designated the state route as such (I haven't searched the AASHO database for this yet).  US 95 did take over AZ 95's alignment south of Quartzsite when it was extended into Arizona.  For whatever reason Arizona isn't big on renumberings and never changed the designation north of Quartzsite (which has since been extended).

froggie

Quote from: roadman65 on August 25, 2021, 11:01:29 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on August 25, 2021, 10:19:43 PM
Quote from: AcE_Wolf_287 on August 24, 2021, 08:34:49 PM
as someone whos a big fan of US 21, they should've atleast kept it up to Parkersburg, before its complete removal out of ohio, & WV, it was only 700 miles long which is short for a Main N-S US Route (US 1, US 11, US 31, US 41 etc...)

Why? All of the route between Wytheville and Charleston was multiplexed with other routes, and north of Charleston, I-77's alignment is far superior. Having US 21 that whole distance would have just been unnecessary clutter.

US 5. It follows I-91 it's entire length.

Living up here and seeing it regularly, I would argue that US 5 does not need to be a US route.  It could easily be a state route.  It's really not that important outside the urban areas of Hartford and Springfield.

1995hoo

I'm certain there is no such federal law. There are a lot of instances where a state route provides access to a border crossing on the Canadian border; in Maine, at least, there are a number of rural crossings on roads that I don't think qualify as state routes (though I've never paid attention to their hierarchy of route numbering, so I might be wrong on that).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

There's at least one local road crossing still open that I know of in Vermont.  There are a number of state route crossings (including at least 2 that are locally maintained).

mrcmc888

Have you ever heard of a route getting truncated so that it ends in a concurrency?  It happened to DE-2 up here.  Previously, it ran all the way to the Maryland border as a solo route at Elkton but it got cut back all the way to the DE-273/72 intersection in Newark even though that makes it end as part of a concurrency.

Flint1979

I hate states that use the same number of a US highway for a state highway especially in the same part of the state. Michigan has a few that are used as a state highway that is also a US highway number in the state but for the most part they aren't near each other. US-24 and M-24 end near each other but they use to connect to each other in Pontiac and it was US-10 not US-24 that went the rest of the way to where US-24 currently ends at I-75, US-24 was extended to end there after US-10 was truncated to end at I-75 just outside of Bay City.

The other one's that are both a US highway and state highway in Michigan are US-8 and M-8 which are nowhere near each other, US-10 and M-10 (M-10 use to be part of US-10 so it got it's number but I'm surprised it wasn't just renumbered as M-4), US-45 and M-45 are nowhere near each other. US-127, US-131, US-141 and US-223 all do not have duplicate state routes.

Takumi

Quote from: mrcmc888 on August 26, 2021, 01:36:16 PM
Have you ever heard of a route getting truncated so that it ends in a concurrency?  It happened to DE-2 up here.  Previously, it ran all the way to the Maryland border as a solo route at Elkton but it got cut back all the way to the DE-273/72 intersection in Newark even though that makes it end as part of a concurrency.
US 360 ends while concurrent with US 58 Business. It wasn't truncated, but rather rerouted, to do so.

I think this happened with VA 5 in Richmond, where it used to end on Broad Street, but now officially ends while concurrent with US 60 on Main Street (though with the construction in that part of the city lately, it may end up being truncated to end at Main and Williamsburg).
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US20IL64

In my opinion, US 6 should be shortened, to just the NE states. Famous for Cape Cod, but not really known for cross country travel, other than CO section, now I-70.

In IL/IN, it meanders, joins I-80-94 for a while, as if it is so important.  :rolleyes: Kind of outdated, I think. Could easily be IL-206/306, since there is a IL-6 in Peoria area.

Just 2 cents.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: US20IL64 on September 08, 2021, 03:18:07 AM
In my opinion, US 6 should be shortened, to just the NE states. Famous for Cape Cod, but not really known for cross country travel, other than CO section, now I-70.

In IL/IN, it meanders, joins I-80-94 for a while, as if it is so important.  :rolleyes: Kind of outdated, I think. Could easily be IL-206/306, since there is a IL-6 in Peoria area.

Just 2 cents.

A US highway doesn't need to be known for cross country travel to exist all the was across the country. If that's the standard there wouldn't really by any US highways crossing the country since the advent of the interstates.

US 6 only joins I-80/94 for 15 miles in Indiana and 2 in Illinois.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 08, 2021, 07:14:39 AM

Just 2 cents.

A US highway doesn't need to be known for cross country travel to exist all the was across the country. If that's the standard there wouldn't really by any US highways crossing the country since the advent of the interstates.

US 6 isn't exactly a highway without a purpose in California, Nevada and Utah.  Even in Colorado it jumps off I-70 in the Rockies frequently enough to justify it's existence. 

wanderer2575

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 26, 2021, 02:41:30 PM
I hate states that use the same number of a US highway for a state highway especially in the same part of the state. Michigan has a few that are used as a state highway that is also a US highway number in the state but for the most part they aren't near each other. US-24 and M-24 end near each other but they use to connect to each other in Pontiac and it was US-10 not US-24 that went the rest of the way to where US-24 currently ends at I-75, US-24 was extended to end there after US-10 was truncated to end at I-75 just outside of Bay City.

The other one's that are both a US highway and state highway in Michigan are US-8 and M-8 which are nowhere near each other, US-10 and M-10 (M-10 use to be part of US-10 so it got it's number but I'm surprised it wasn't just renumbered as M-4), US-45 and M-45 are nowhere near each other. US-127, US-131, US-141 and US-223 all do not have duplicate state routes.

Michigan used to be big on doing this deliberately with adjacent US and state routes.  I think US-24/M-24 is the only remaining remnant of that practice.

The Detroit Industrial Expressway between Detroit and the Willow Run Bomber plant (now part of I-94) was originally numbered M-112 because it ran parallel to nearby US-112 (Michigan Avenue).  M-24 got that number because its southern terminus was at the same intersection as US-24's northern terminus.  Same with former M-131 and US-131.  M-29 was split into two disconnected segments when US-25 was extended from Port Huron north to Port Austin, and the northern segment was redesignated M-25 instead of a completely different number.  I believe an earlier iteration of M-10 in Flint was given that number because it ran close to (maybe even intersected) US-10.  Even more recently, the Haggerty Connector extending north from the I-96/I-275/I-696 interchange originally was going to be given the route number of M-275.

With US-10's truncation to Bay City, I think it was less disruptive to renumber 5.5 miles of Northwestern Highway as M-10 than it would have been to renumber 18.5 miles of the Lodge Freeway as M-4.

US20IL64

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 08, 2021, 08:47:20 AM

Just 2 cents.

US 6 isn't exactly a highway without a purpose in California, Nevada and Utah.  Even in Colorado it jumps off I-70 in the Rockies frequently enough to justify it's existence.

Wanted to see what others thought, but can see how in West it is important. Just that here in IL, kind of more known as 159th st.
My wish was granted when US-54 was truncated in IL back in '71 at least  :biggrin:

kenarmy

Quote from: US20IL64 on September 08, 2021, 06:43:55 PM

Wanted to see what others thought, but can see how in West it is important. Just that here in IL, kind of more known as 159th st.
My wish was granted when US-54 was truncated in IL back in '71 at least  :biggrin:
I think US 54 should've just been cut back to where IL 54 ends now in Onarga. If it just haddd to be cut.

mrcmc888

Just 2 cents.

I honestly think that it should have been rerouted instead of truncated in California, going through Yosemite and into the Inland Empire which is woefully underserved by national highways.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mrcmc888 on September 09, 2021, 08:20:19 PM

Just 2 cents.

I honestly think that it should have been rerouted instead of truncated in California, going through Yosemite and into the Inland Empire which is woefully underserved by national highways.

Apparently that idea was floated (Yosemite) when US 6 was being extended.  I noticed it was referenced in the AASHO database. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.