News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Freeway Entrance" signage

Started by deathtopumpkins, June 16, 2020, 10:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on August 31, 2021, 02:38:07 PM
It was probably more useful during the sequential days, when if you were told to get off at Exit 7, it would be useful to know where you got on to know whether your exit is next or far away. Now, you can just look at the mile markers.

I guess I've just never been in a situation where I needed to know how far away my exit is before even getting on.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ran4sh

Quote from: kphoger on August 31, 2021, 02:33:56 PM
Quote from: ran4sh on August 31, 2021, 01:01:56 PM
I've always thought that Freeway Entrance signs would be more useful if they included the interchange ("exit") number for that location. I.e. at a standard diamond ramp that is exit 25, the signs would have the text "Freeway Entrance" along with the number 25.

Similar to how turnpikes used to have signs saying which interchange number you are entering from. It seems obvious enough that I think the lack of exit numbers in CA when the standards were designed, contributes to why numbering was never part of the design.

What's useful about knowing what the cross-highway's exit number is?

Not everyone navigates according to street names and route numbers only. If someone gets on a freeway and sees the interchange number on an entrance sign, that serves as an additional navigational aid especially for the return trip so that they'll know what exit to use.

Another application would be, if some business or establishment advertises as being at Exit X, a numbered freeway entrance sign would allow drivers to determine if they need to get on northbound or southbound (eastbound or westbound) to get to exit X.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

roadfro

Quote from: ran4sh on August 31, 2021, 03:14:14 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 31, 2021, 02:33:56 PM
I've always thought that Freeway Entrance signs would be more useful if they included the interchange ("exit") number for that location. I.e. at a standard diamond ramp that is exit 25, the signs would have the text "Freeway Entrance" along with the number 25.

Similar to how turnpikes used to have signs saying which interchange number you are entering from. It seems obvious enough that I think the lack of exit numbers in CA when the standards were designed, contributes to why numbering was never part of the design.

What's useful about knowing what the cross-highway's exit number is?

Not everyone navigates according to street names and route numbers only. If someone gets on a freeway and sees the interchange number on an entrance sign, that serves as an additional navigational aid especially for the return trip so that they'll know what exit to use.

Another application would be, if some business or establishment advertises as being at Exit X, a numbered freeway entrance sign would allow drivers to determine if they need to get on northbound or southbound (eastbound or westbound) to get to exit X.

That seems like a really edge case application, as the masses are generally not familiar enough with exit numbering in general to know to navigate in that manner. And something that would be better served on advance signage along the arterial approaching the interchange (so that one can determine proper lane movements to turn onto the freeway) rather than the freeway entrance sign (which is posted right as one is entering a freeway ramp).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadman65

The Garden State Parkway in NJ has the word "Parkway Entrance" on their iconic entrance ramp signs.

Someone mentioned on FB, the fact in the Northeast, a freeway entrance guide would be confusing as New York refers to its freeway's as expressways, which in actual definition is not a expressway, but something used commonly over time.  Then the NY Parkways are another.  Though many parkways in New York are indeed freeways, the Taconic and Saw Mill Parkways and the Westchester segment of the Bronx River Parkway are the real expressways as they are limited access with at grade intersections. 

IMHO, I think the MUTCD should adopt this policy and have all states use them regardless of what people call them.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ClassicHasClass

I don't know if Iowa still does, but they used to intermittently have little "INTERCHANGE NO. X" banners near I-80.

http://www.floodgap.com/roadgap/6/u22/#sec_56

wanderer2575

Michigan:  In addition to the BL I-69 occurrence in Port Huron mentioned earlier, there is this one on M-50 at US-127 north of Jackson.

Not really what the OP asked, but there is this BGS on eastbound US-10 west of Farwell.  I'm not aware of any other instance of this sign in the state where a road transitions into a freeway.

Flint1979

Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 05, 2021, 01:13:20 AM
Michigan:  In addition to the BL I-69 occurrence in Port Huron mentioned earlier, there is this one on M-50 at US-127 north of Jackson.

Not really what the OP asked, but there is this BGS on eastbound US-10 west of Farwell.  I'm not aware of any other instance of this sign in the state where a road transitions into a freeway.

US-131 does in Manton, so does US-127 in Jackson. They might not have the sign but they do the same thing that US-10 does there.

thenetwork

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 16, 2020, 01:42:13 PM
Consulting the other thread, it looks like we're at:

• California
  • Washington
  • Nevada
  • Oregon
  • New Mexico
  • Illinois
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Montana
  • Michigan
  • Colorado (one example that has since been removed)

Add Utah to the list.  Haven't paid attention if they are at every on-ramp, but there are at least some.

deathtopumpkins

Bringing the list onto the new page:

Uses standalone freeway entrance signs consistently:

• Washington
  • Montana

Uses freeway entrance signs with shields consistently:

• California (freeway/parkway)
  • Nevada

Uses custom equivalent signs:

• New Jersey (parkway entrance)

Uses freeway entrance signs frequently but not consistently:

• Utah (freeway/parkway)
  • Illinois (with downward arrows)
  • West Virginia
  • Minnesota

Has at least one use of a standard freeway entrance sign:

• Michigan
  • Colorado (with shields)
  • Oregon
  • New Mexico
  • New York (freeway/parkway)
  • North Carolina (with shields)
  • Texas
  • Connecticut (with shields)
  • British Columbia
  • Wisconsin

Other weird one-offs:

• Massachusetts (BGS)
  • Indiana (overhead, mixed-case, with shields)

Uses shields with downward arrows, but no freeway entrance sign:

• Ohio
  • Florida

Added Florida based on Alex's pictures.

NJ's "Parkway Entrance" signs were already on the list.

Utah was also already on the list.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

ClassicHasClass

I like the KEEP RIGHT suspended overhead in that M-50 onramp.

Great Lakes Roads

ilpt4u

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on January 04, 2022, 02:25:22 AM
I have found ANOTHER "Freeway Entrance" sign in Indiana! (I-69 NB onramp at S Green River Road in Evansville)

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.9383443,-87.4927013,3a,15y,189.42h,90.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNAMUDZ6YMHO9Rue8g6OZRQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Looks like INDOT taking a page from IDOT, using the "Freeway Entrance"  sign at a Folded Diamond entrance

CoreySamson

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on September 24, 2020, 10:41:36 AM
Where does Texas fit in all this?  Since Texas is a very heavy frontage road state, and it took me a very long time to understand that Texas' freeways are not the norm, I am very desensitized to on-ramp signage and if it's a big deal or not because these are on every freeway you drive on in Texas:

https://goo.gl/maps/5KmvFn6xiDbSAfZL9

Always one before and one at the gore.  Albeit pointing up instead of down, but this setup seems to be gaining traction on this thread.
Echoing what ethanhopkin14 said, what exactly would you call these signs found on nearly every Texas interstate if not freeway entrance signs? I would personally group them with New Jersey as having "custom" freeway entrance signs, as this setup is commonplace throughout the state (the FREEWAY ENTRANCE sign I found earlier in the thread is basically a one-off, so perhaps add a note for that?).
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

tolbs17

ran4sh

Quote from: CoreySamson on January 04, 2022, 01:09:55 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on September 24, 2020, 10:41:36 AM
Where does Texas fit in all this?  Since Texas is a very heavy frontage road state, and it took me a very long time to understand that Texas' freeways are not the norm, I am very desensitized to on-ramp signage and if it's a big deal or not because these are on every freeway you drive on in Texas:

https://goo.gl/maps/5KmvFn6xiDbSAfZL9

Always one before and one at the gore.  Albeit pointing up instead of down, but this setup seems to be gaining traction on this thread.
Echoing what ethanhopkin14 said, what exactly would you call these signs found on nearly every Texas interstate if not freeway entrance signs? I would personally group them with New Jersey as having "custom" freeway entrance signs, as this setup is commonplace throughout the state (the FREEWAY ENTRANCE sign I found earlier in the thread is basically a one-off, so perhaps add a note for that?).

Those are just standard route shield assemblies. If those count as "freeway entrance" then all states have them, otherwise they are noncompliant and substandard.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

jay8g

Looks like Alaska isn't on the list yet. They don't seem to use them very frequently, but Fairbanks has at least two locations with "Expressway Entrance" signs (one with a route shield, one without).

Lukeisroads

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 07, 2021, 09:15:12 AM
Bringing the list onto the new page:

• Washington
  • Montana

• Nevada

• Utah (freeway/parkway)
  • West Virginia
  • Minnesota

• Michigan
  • Oregon
  • New Mexico
  • Texas
  • British Columbia
  • Wisconsin

Other weird one-offs:

• Massachusetts (BGS)

• Ohio
  • Florida

Added Florida based on Alex's pictures.

NJ's "Parkway Entrance" signs were already on the list.

Utah was also already on the list.
speaking of the california parkway...
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.370456,-119.0659773,3a,15y,223.75h,88.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saTSvrvNtEl-_3KZkTn3mkA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: Lukeisroads on January 09, 2022, 01:34:54 PM
speaking of the california parkway...
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.370456,-119.0659773,3a,15y,223.75h,88.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saTSvrvNtEl-_3KZkTn3mkA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

And speaking of another California "parkway:"

This is part of former CA 90 that was relinquished to the City of Yorba Linda.  The city scraped the "FWY"  off the button copy, removed the "Freeway Entrance"  signs from the signpost assemblies and cut the post down for good measure.

deathtopumpkins

Okay, so adding Alaska to the list. I've left Indiana where it is though because that's yet another weird one-off example.

• Washington
  • Montana

• Nevada

• Utah (freeway/parkway)
  • West Virginia
  • Minnesota

• Michigan
  • Oregon
  • New Mexico
  • Texas
  • British Columbia
  • Wisconsin
  • Alaska (expressway)

Other weird one-offs:

• Massachusetts (BGS)

• Ohio
  • Florida
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

DTComposer

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on January 11, 2022, 02:55:24 AM
And speaking of another California "parkway:"

This is part of former CA 90 that was relinquished to the City of Yorba Linda.  The city scraped the "FWY"  off the button copy, removed the "Freeway Entrance"  signs from the signpost assemblies and cut the post down for good measure.

That's interesting. As a Californian (and therefore used to seeing the Freeway Entrance signs) if I saw the route shield and arrow sign and that onramp I would still assume it's a freeway, regardless of the word "freeway" being removed. Since it's no longer officially a state highway, if their goal is to de-emphasize that it's a freeway I would have removed all the current signage and replaced it with "Imperial Highway" blades suspended from the traffic lights.

ethanhopkin14

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 14, 2022, 02:42:03 PM
Intresting

From the same general area:

https://flic.kr/p/2jsNX4Q

I'm not sure why the shields lack "property of the State of California"  and have the weirdly thick vinyl numerals.

Alex

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 14, 2022, 02:42:03 PM
Intresting

In the future please elaborate a bit more then a single misspelled word for a GSV link.

ClassicHasClass

Because the D8 sign shop makes crappy signage, that's why.

The I-215 in my collection is an older Scotchlite back when they actually cared about sizing and alignment.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on September 03, 2021, 01:05:50 PM

I don't know if Iowa still does, but they used to intermittently have little "INTERCHANGE NO. X" banners near I-80.

http://www.floodgap.com/roadgap/6/u22/#sec_56

I would like that. I would also like having an "exit" number for rest areas.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.