6 (60%)
Yellow-orange
0 (0%)
Don't care
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

tolbs17

Quote from: Henry on March 07, 2022, 11:51:48 AM
I will admit, the first time I saw these bright green signs I was a bit perplexed because I had been accustomed to seeing the yellow colors, but now I'm used to the newer ones because next to them, the yellow signs look outdated.
Same here. FYG signs were introduced in 1998 for the school zone signs which are mandated to be that color because of the brighter visibility to those, but are optional for pedestrian, bike, trail signs etc. I think the reason why some districts use yellow signs for pedestrians is because they want to reserve FYG for school zone signs only.

tolbs17

Here's the link to the history of warning signs.  Btw, I'm putting this here so I won't forget having to keep looking for it

http://www.andrewturnbull.net/signs-w.html

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on March 05, 2022, 06:30:36 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on March 05, 2022, 06:03:32 PM
Quote from: Big John on March 05, 2022, 06:01:50 PM
FYG is used for pedestrians and school zones for extra emphasis.
But shouldn't all the pedestrian signs be FYG?

Maybe, but the original point was to reserve the color for zones of special importance. So, as a driver, you'd see the fluorescent yellow-green (FYG) and ideally associate that with a school zone. But the rampant use of FYG outside of school zones has meant that the color really has no special meaning to anyone.

Per 2009 MUTCD, FYG is required for school signs, but it's optional for pretty much all situations warning of non-motorized traffic encroaching upon the roadway... pedestrians, bikes, trial crossings.

The original reason for using with school zones was as stated, to have special emphasis for these types of situations that can be somewhat unpredictable. Many agencies take advantage of this option now (some agencies in Nevada aren't quite consistent in exceeding the option though...) I actually think FYG should be required in these situations.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

Quote from: formulanone on March 07, 2022, 11:46:54 AM
I, for one, am enjoying my pair of Dr. K. P. H. Oger's Fantastical Fluorescentizing Signage Occular Goggles with patented ChromaXwalk technology!

"Price tag was a cool $32k, but that's just half of a game show pyramid. Step right up, folks! All yeller signage from coast to coast becomes instantly Shocking yellow!"
Only your eyes and wallet will be fooled!

I like how he is just amassing more and more initials (and his last name is getting shorter and shorter) as time goes on.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.