What bridge closure would cause the most chaos/disruption?

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 14, 2021, 10:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JREwing78

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 10, 2021, 05:17:41 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 10, 2021, 05:06:59 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 10, 2021, 01:30:08 PM
Our former pastor used to live in Houghton, and they did baptisms in Lake Superior.

Speaking of Houghton, the scope of this thread warrants a mention of US 41/M-26 across Portage Lake, since there are no other road crossings and it would cut the northern half of the Keweenaw Peninsula off from all land access.

Wow, I think I'd be hesitant to live on the other side of that bridge. I'm guessing there's no hospital on the north side.
Both local hospitals are north of the bridge. Next closest is in Baraga.

SM-G991U

GaryV

The hospital is on the north side of the Portage, in Hancock.

The airport, too.

TheOneKEA

Several posters have already mentioned the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, the Millard Tydings Bridge and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in Maryland. I would also add the following bridges to the list for consideration:

- US 340 across the Potomac River
- US 15 across the Potomac River
- American Legion Bridge
- US 29 across the Rocky Gorge Reservoir
- US 50 across the Nanticoke River
- US 50 across Sinepuxent Bay
- MD 213 across the C&D Canal

Dirt Roads

Quote from: TheOneKEA on August 15, 2021, 08:09:37 PM
- US 340 across the Potomac River
- US 15 across the Potomac River

Not as bad as one might think.  There is the Brunswick Bridge connecting VA-287 and MD-17 at Brunswick, Maryland.  However, you do need to take SR-671 all the way down to VA-9 west of Hillsboro to get around the US-340 bridge.  As tempted as you might be to go all the way to Wheatland and pick up VA-287, take Mountain Road north on the other side of Hillsboro as it is one of the most scenic roads in the entire state.  For a US-15 detour, Lovettsville Road is a bit winding but not that far out of the way.

sparker

All I can say is it's fortunate both Interstate crossings of the Carquinez Strait (I-80, I-680) feature twin spans; if one is out of service, removing some K-rail above/below the point where the directions rejoin would allow the use of one of the spans for bidirectional traffic.  Since those effectively carry most of the commercial traffic heading to Sacramento or the PNW, not to mention farther east via I-80, loss of even one span out of four would cause congestion and backup all the way to San Jose on the south and Sacramento to the northeast.  A San Rafael Bridge/CA 37 detour would clog up quickly; the long haul over 580 and the Altamont Pass via Stockton just isn't feasible for any extended time. 

fillup420

closure of the I-95 bridge over Lake Marion in SC would be a headache to navigate around. The closest crossing to the north is US 378, 32 miles straight-line. To the south is US 52, 27 miles straight-line. Both detours require long deviations from 95.

Daniel Fiddler

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one.  The Sunshine Skyway would require a detour for St. Petersburg to / from southwest Florida requiring an extra 30+ miles.

kkt

Quote from: sparker on August 16, 2021, 08:14:57 AM
All I can say is it's fortunate both Interstate crossings of the Carquinez Strait (I-80, I-680) feature twin spans; if one is out of service, removing some K-rail above/below the point where the directions rejoin would allow the use of one of the spans for bidirectional traffic.  Since those effectively carry most of the commercial traffic heading to Sacramento or the PNW, not to mention farther east via I-80, loss of even one span out of four would cause congestion and backup all the way to San Jose on the south and Sacramento to the northeast.  A San Rafael Bridge/CA 37 detour would clog up quickly; the long haul over 580 and the Altamont Pass via Stockton just isn't feasible for any extended time. 

Yes, Caltrans did the right thing by making them twin bridges.  The other alternative would be north on 101 to Petaluma and then 116 and 12 to I-80 at Cordelia.  It's kind of a long way around too, and with a lot of 2-lane roads that would get crowded quickly if there was an extended closure.

sparker

Quote from: kkt on August 20, 2021, 12:45:18 AM
Quote from: sparker on August 16, 2021, 08:14:57 AM

Yes, Caltrans did the right thing by making them twin bridges.  The other alternative would be north on 101 to Petaluma and then 116 and 12 to I-80 at Cordelia.  It's kind of a long way around too, and with a lot of 2-lane roads that would get crowded quickly if there was an extended closure.

I lived in Napa circa 1990-91; frequent incidents on CA 37 would result in drivers, particulary during commute times, to detour onto 121 from Sears Point to Napa and then segue onto CA 12 (and the inverse WB), most of which was 2-lane at the time (and much of which still is!).  All I can say about that congestion was "holy shit!".  Shoehorning 2 lanes of traffic from 37 to 121 was bad enough, but drivers trying to enter from 12 and 116 south of Sonoma would sit for 15-20 minutes before encountering a break.  It's really not a viable alternative under simply local circumstances; a bridge breakdown would be catastrophic if a span (or two) would be out of service.   

allniter89

Quote from: kphoger on August 10, 2021, 01:30:08 PM
Our former pastor used to live in Houghton, and they did baptisms in Lake Superior.

For what it's worth, the water temperature in Los Angeles today is about one degree colder than in Sault Ste Marie.
Meanwhile the Gulf of Mexico water temp at Pensacola, FL is 87°.
I'm not a beach person but it doesnt seem possible that 87° water & 94° +air temp 106°heat index would be coooling.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

kphoger

Quote from: allniter89 on August 21, 2021, 12:16:11 AM

I'm not a beach person but it doesnt seem possible that 87° water & 94° +air temp 106°heat index would be coooling.

I'm sure some evaporation still takes place when you get out of the water.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hobart

I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring here.
I have to say the Interstate 80 bridge over the Des Plaines River in Joliet would cause a lot of chaos if it were to fall into the river right now.

Many trucks use the bridge to get to an inland port in nearby Elwood, and a lot of people use that stretch of I-80 to either get to work, or to get across the country. Truck traffic is heavy, and the stretch of highway near the bridge is a choke point for three crowded lanes of traffic in just east of there.

Most alternative routes would either run people down Interstate 355, a toll highway, a bunch of two-lane roads south of Joliet not built for heavy volumes of traffic, or run people through a bunch of suburbs. If people were too cheap to pay tolls but didn't want to leave the interstate, they would need to take Interstate 55 all the way to Chicago's loop, and take Interstate 94 back out of it. Any one of these options would cause even more chaos than the bridge does now.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

kphoger

Quote from: Hobart on August 23, 2021, 08:42:10 PM
If people were too cheap to pay tolls ...

Or simply don't have a toll pass on the windshield.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

I think the Bill Buckner Bridge in Boston (actually named the Zakim Bridge but called the Bill Buckner because you go through the legs of the bridge just like the ball went through Buckner's legs in 1986) fits this bill.

kkt

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 25, 2021, 04:47:18 PM
I think the Bill Buckner Bridge in Boston (actually named the Zakim Bridge but called the Bill Buckner because you go through the legs of the bridge just like the ball went through Buckner's legs in 1986) fits this bill.

Great naming story for the bridge :)

Flint1979

US20IL64

Quote from: kphoger on August 24, 2021, 12:03:39 PM
Quote from: Hobart on August 23, 2021, 08:42:10 PM
If people were too cheap to pay tolls ...

Or simply don't have a toll pass on the windshield.

Can pay online, and if not tech savvy, call a kid,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.