News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlsterner

Quote from: famartin on September 05, 2022, 11:27:02 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 05, 2022, 10:42:44 PM
Wait...people don't know about increased enforcement on holiday weekends?

NYSDOT's new photo enforcement is going to nail a whole lot more people than they anticipated.

Lets be honest... Bluecountry doesn't seem to be aware of a lot of things, based on his posting history.

Quote from: bluecountry on September 05, 2022, 08:57:58 PM
Yea I got fucked yesterday on US17 AND SR3!  I never see cops there, OMG.
So I gotta remember, Mem Day, 4th, Labor Day, Wipeout Wednesday, and New Years patrols are up; any other days?

"Wipeout Wednesday"?  Can't say I've ever heard of that - and neither Google nor UrbanDictionary provided any insight.  Can anybody enlighten me?  Sounds like I don't want to be traveling on that day!   :bigass:

Takumi

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 05, 2022, 05:35:20 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on September 05, 2022, 02:52:36 PM
Is it me or are there a LOT more state troopers out this weekend?

We saw multiple people pulled over just between US-29 near Falls Church (Jefferson District Golf Course) and Van Dorn Street. That's a small sample, of course, but we seldom see anyone stopped through there (one driver was stopped in the HO/T lanes; also, on the way over to the golf course, we saw a cop had stopped a tractor-trailer in the Outer Loop HO/T lanes).

Of course, the number of vehicles with Maryland plates being operated at 85+ mph was at least as high as usual...

Well, they're typically looking for NY and FL plates, not MD.

I didn't notice increased police presence (or any, for that matter) on the parts of I-95 and VA 150 I traveled on the weekend, and was surprised at that. I figured at least there'd be a few at either end of Richmond city limits on 150 looking out for the usual post-Cars & Coffee speed runners when that event wound down, but nope, not a one.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Quote from: dlsterner on September 05, 2022, 11:36:53 PM
Wipeout Wednesday"?  Can't say I've ever heard of that - and neither Google nor UrbanDictionary provided any insight.  Can anybody enlighten me?  Sounds like I don't want to be traveling on that day!   :bigass:

The day before Thanksgiving, perhaps?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

amroad17

Quote from: hbelkins on September 06, 2022, 12:30:20 AM
Wipeout Wednesday"?  Can't say I've ever heard of that - and neither Google nor UrbanDictionary provided any insight.  Can anybody enlighten me?  Sounds like I don't want to be traveling on that day!   :bigass:

:hmmm: Only crazy Wednesday I can think of right now.  I cannot see Ash Wednesday being a "traffic problem" day.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

famartin

Quote from: Takumi on September 05, 2022, 11:51:05 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 05, 2022, 05:35:20 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on September 05, 2022, 02:52:36 PM
Is it me or are there a LOT more state troopers out this weekend?

We saw multiple people pulled over just between US-29 near Falls Church (Jefferson District Golf Course) and Van Dorn Street. That's a small sample, of course, but we seldom see anyone stopped through there (one driver was stopped in the HO/T lanes; also, on the way over to the golf course, we saw a cop had stopped a tractor-trailer in the Outer Loop HO/T lanes).

Of course, the number of vehicles with Maryland plates being operated at 85+ mph was at least as high as usual...

Well, they're typically looking for NY and FL plates, not MD.

I didn't notice increased police presence (or any, for that matter) on the parts of I-95 and VA 150 I traveled on the weekend, and was surprised at that. I figured at least there'd be a few at either end of Richmond city limits on 150 looking out for the usual post-Cars & Coffee speed runners when that event wound down, but nope, not a one.

I spent most of this past week in eastern PA, and there was substantial increase in police presence on the roads from Friday thru Monday.

From what I've observed, it seems like the fastest drivers are Pennsylvanians, New Yorkers, New Jerseyans, in that order.

1995hoo

Quote from: amroad17 on September 06, 2022, 01:49:35 AM

:hmmm: Only crazy Wednesday I can think of right now.  I cannot see Ash Wednesday being a "traffic problem" day.

Maybe in New Orleans or, to a much lesser degree, Mobile, but I've never heard that expression.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

D-Dey65

So, does anyone think we're going to start seeing signs like this in Ashland, Virginia anytime soon?

ahj2000

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 06, 2022, 01:09:13 PM
So, does anyone think we're going to start seeing signs like this in Ashland, Virginia anytime soon?

I mean, the roadway is on the sides of the railroad. It would take a certain type of driver or a substance to get someone on the tracks. Has it been a problem?

1995hoo

Quote from: ahj2000 on September 06, 2022, 01:46:14 PM
I mean, the roadway is on the sides of the railroad. It would take a certain type of driver or a substance to get someone on the tracks. Has it been a problem?

Evidently.

froggie

It's a recurring problem.  I would argue it speaks more to the ignorance of drivers than it does to the design.  But short of closing the road or relocating the tracks elsewhere (both being very unpopular), nothing will change.

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on September 06, 2022, 02:43:40 PM
It's a recurring problem.  I would argue it speaks more to the ignorance of drivers than it does to the design.  But short of closing the road or relocating the tracks elsewhere (both being very unpopular), nothing will change.

I have no idea whether the following would be technically feasible, but I wonder whether they could use another set of railroad crossing gates to block the tracks except when a train goes through. That is, you have the standard set of gates for road traffic that goes down when a train approaches. These would be similar except they would block access to the tracks and would remain in the "down" position until triggered by a train, at which time they would rise to let the train go through.

plain

I used to live near the town and went there almost daily. Most of the time the visitors not very familiar with the town, many of whom are from out of state altogether, are the ones messing up there. It's not just the VA 54 crossing either.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 06, 2022, 02:50:45 PM

I have no idea whether the following would be technically feasible, but I wonder whether they could use another set of railroad crossing gates to block the tracks except when a train goes through. That is, you have the standard set of gates for road traffic that goes down when a train approaches. These would be similar except they would block access to the tracks and would remain in the "down" position until triggered by a train, at which time they would rise to let the train go through.
Difference: Road gates malfunction, they can be fixed without hurting the train. Train gates malfunction, train can't move until fixed. Not good. Train would likely hit those gates as soon as they don't work right.

plain

Even though many of us know this stuff, here's an interesting video about I-81 posted today.

https://youtu.be/4Oa1diD9C_s
Newark born, Richmond bred

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: plain on September 07, 2022, 03:40:28 PM
Even though many of us know this stuff, here's an interesting video about I-81 posted today.

Good stuff indeed. I had been aware of many of the issues, but it was good to hear about them in greater detail.

bluecountry

OMG can't believe people don't know that term, yeh, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.  Its commonly referenced on the news.  Probably has the most DD's behind NYD.

famartin

Quote from: bluecountry on September 07, 2022, 09:04:56 PM

OMG can't believe people don't know that term, yeh, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.  Its commonly referenced on the news.  Probably has the most DD's behind NYD.

Odd that a google search didn't reveal it...
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Wipeout+Wednesday%22&source=hp&ei=C0AZY56-DOOnptQP8eSCmAQ&iflsig=AJiK0e8AAAAAYxlOGywoM8RF3hHEFvYi4rERiRJMSEes&ved=0ahUKEwje7-vLgIT6AhXjk4kEHXGyAEMQ4dUDCAg&uact=5&oq=%22Wipeout+Wednesday%22&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBggAEB4QFjIFCAAQhgMyBQgAEIYDUABYiwZg3QdoAHAAeACAAV6IAd4BkgEBM5gBAKABAaABAg&sclient=gws-wiz

hbelkins

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on September 07, 2022, 05:34:14 PM

Good stuff indeed. I had been aware of many of the issues, but it was good to hear about them in greater detail.

"But I-95 still needs fixed first..."

:ded:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MillTheRoadgeek

It is nice to see some of those video essays in the community. Hope this kind of format becomes a mainstay.

davewiecking

Latest video from VDoT discussing how they're spending money on I-81 that should be spent on I-95 instead. [/sarc] (adjacent I-581 interchange)

https://youtu.be/hQJ7yx8oxgc

MillTheRoadgeek

Quote from: davewiecking on September 08, 2022, 03:20:43 PM
Latest video from VDoT discussing how they're spending money on I-81 that should be spent on I-95 instead. [/sarc] (adjacent I-581 interchange)

Why would improving 95 make more sense?

D-Dey65

Quote from: Alps on September 06, 2022, 07:27:30 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 06, 2022, 02:50:45 PM

Difference: Road gates malfunction, they can be fixed without hurting the train. Train gates malfunction, train can't move until fixed. Not good. Train would likely hit those gates as soon as they don't work right.
This has also added to the problem. Focus less on the building and more on the barricades.

Takumi

Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on September 09, 2022, 01:35:49 AM
Quote from: davewiecking on September 08, 2022, 03:20:43 PM

Why would improving 95 make more sense?

It's making fun of someone who doesn't live in Virginia. Scroll back a few pages in this thread.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

MillTheRoadgeek

Quote from: Takumi on September 09, 2022, 12:33:56 PM
It's making fun of someone who doesn't live in Virginia. Scroll back a few pages in this thread.

Didn't catch that tag, whoops. I still wonder how that'd go, though... I think some truck traffic could be diverted off 95, which could use the 66 Express Lanes well en route to the Front Royal inland port.

bluecountry

95 needs to be like the NJTP, should be the first priority in VA.  Period.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.