News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Types of School Zone signs

Started by tolbs17, July 16, 2021, 09:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

This type of sign is the norm in Fairfax County. That style is used elsewhere in Virginia as well–here's an example on a road with a 55-mph speed limit and here's one on a road with a 60-mph speed limit. (Usually an "End School Zone" sign is also present at the opposite end.)

I've always preferred this style to the ones that list hours (often in small type that's hard to see at a glance) or that say simply "school days." "School days" can be ambiguous even for local residents who don't have kids and thus don't know what days might be student holidays ("teacher workdays" as they're commonly called here) or days like spring break or the like.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

wanderer2575

What bugs me is when municipalities interchangeably use "school crossing" and "school zone" signs.

(I know the MUTCD has been updated to use one sign for both, with appropriate supplemental tabs, but that does nothing for older existing installations.)

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 19, 2022, 09:59:46 AM
What bugs me is when municipalities interchangeably use "school crossing" and "school zone" signs.

(I know the MUTCD has been updated to use one sign for both, with appropriate supplemental tabs, but that does nothing for older existing installations.)
and yet some roads have the speed limit slow down zone for some with no SCHOOL anywhere near there with NO one slowing down. For the crossing? Now if some took that to court will they win?

MASTERNC

Pennsylvania's signs use orange or yellow backlit speed limits that light up when the speed limit is active along with flashing beacons.  The fonts look like my grandparents' old microwave from the 1970s.

US71

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 19, 2022, 04:29:58 PM
Pennsylvania's signs use orange or yellow backlit speed limits that light up when the speed limit is active along with flashing beacons.  The fonts look like my grandparents' old microwave from the 1970s.

Illinois still uses those and parts of Missouri
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

wanderer2575

Michigan has some of these.  They're the worst -- wasted blank space while you have to put on a pair of readers to see the small numerals.

mrsman

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 20, 2022, 11:32:17 AM

Michigan has some of these.  They're the worst -- wasted blank space while you have to put on a pair of readers to see the small numerals.

Agreed.  Under what circumstances does the school speed limit change?  Is it 25 in good weather and 15 in bad weather?

For the most part, these signs put in place a far lower speed limit than appropriate for the given road when there is a school present.  Picking a speed limit that is appropriate for the hazard of a school should not merit a change in the speed.  For most of these, 25 should be slow enough to come to a sudden stop if needed.  15 is too slow.  And 25 could be printed in large letters that are always lit, as changing this speed limit is not justified.

Daisy Rahman

I like the idea of signage next to schools with flashing lights that only come on at certain times. Perhaps the locals have known this for a long time, but it can be useful if someone passes through the city.

Jacob Norman

Quote from: Daisy Rahman on July 25, 2023, 10:18:42 AM

I like the idea of signage next to schools with flashing lights that only come on at certain times. Perhaps the locals have known this for a long time, but it can be useful if someone passes through the city. This may be relevant. Although the design and dimensions should have been updated and made more modern for a long time, I agree here. I think we need to propose introducing such signs throughout our country. To discuss and promote this idea, I want to write a few proposal essays, because this can be an effective means of attracting the attention of the public and the state to this initiative. I don't have much experience yet, so I found the site https://gradesfixer.com/essay-types/proposal-essays/ where I look at examples from straight-A students and learn how to structure ideas and maintain my position. I am currently gathering research and statistics from the Department of Education and the Department of Transportation to gather arguments in support of the proposal and respond to possible conflicting opinions. Do you think it would be useful?

I wonder if AI, such as Tesla, can recognize such a sign?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.