News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The entire length of the Edens Expressway

Started by Crash_It, July 18, 2021, 09:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crash_It

Here's the video, just peaceful driving with no honking and a mellow soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/MpnuUwRovog

renegade

Quote from: Crash_It on July 18, 2021, 09:33:16 AM
Here's the video, just peaceful driving with no honking and a mellow soundtrack.

<snip>
Cra_shIt is out to make another buck!
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

JoePCool14

Quote from: renegade on July 18, 2021, 02:28:26 PM

<snip>

That's probably a bit harsh. This video is quite alright.

I will make a couple additional comments though. Driving in the middle lane while drivers were passing you left and right was probably not the best decision. At least when you drove it, the road was pretty open. But that kind of thing is extremely frustrating for driving.

And I largely disagree with your opinion on the quality of the Edens overall. Yeah, when you drove it, it looked fine. But pre-virus, I actually had the "privilege" to drive most of this thing four times per week at the busiest times for a while. The best way I can describe it was that it was a rat race. Between only having three lanes each direction and having cloverleaf interchanges scattered throughout, this thing is a mess. The quality of the pavement leaves a lot to be desired, and from a roadgeek perspective, the signage is a mix of ugly Clearview and cheap, flimsy signs where BGS would be much more appropriate.

It's not the worst expressway out there, but if IDOT had money, a rebuild with reconfigured interchanges for most exits as well as a fourth lane in each direction would be necessary.

But yeah, the video itself was honestly nice anyways.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Crash_It

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 20, 2021, 10:50:06 PM
Quote from: renegade on July 18, 2021, 02:28:26 PM

<snip>

That's probably a bit harsh. This video is quite alright.

I will make a couple additional comments though. Driving in the middle lane while drivers were passing you left and right was probably not the best decision. At least when you drove it, the road was pretty open. But that kind of thing is extremely frustrating for driving.

It's smoother because drivers constantly come off those ramps only doing 40 at best, so instead of constantly having to change lanes I just stay in the middle lane. It's not holding anyone back because the speed limit is 55 and that's what I was doing.

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 20, 2021, 10:50:06 PM
And I largely disagree with your opinion on the quality of the Edens overall. Yeah, when you drove it, it looked fine. But pre-virus, I actually had the "privilege" to drive most of this thing four times per week at the busiest times for a while. The best way I can describe it was that it was a rat race. Between only having three lanes each direction and having cloverleaf interchanges scattered throughout, this thing is a mess. The quality of the pavement leaves a lot to be desired, and from a roadgeek perspective, the signage is a mix of ugly Clearview and cheap, flimsy signs where BGS would be much more appropriate.

It's not the worst expressway out there, but if IDOT had money, a rebuild with reconfigured interchanges for most exits as well as a fourth lane in each direction would be necessary.

But yeah, the video itself was honestly nice anyways.

The pavement is in relatively good condition despite being mostly about 13 years old now. It's certainly better than I57 from the Ryan to 80 but that's scheduled to be worked on this year.

kphoger

Quote from: Crash_It on July 27, 2021, 01:38:51 PM
It's not holding anyone back because the speed limit is 55 and that's what I was doing.

That's a non-sequitir.

Your doing the speed limit doesn't mean you're not holding anyone up.  If they're going faster than you are, and you're in their way, then you're holding them up.  Simple as that.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Crash_It

Quote from: kphoger on July 27, 2021, 01:48:17 PM
It's not holding anyone back because the speed limit is 55 and that's what I was doing.

That's a non-sequitir.

Your doing the speed limit doesn't mean you're not holding anyone up.  If they're going faster than you are, and you're in their way, then you're holding them up.  Simple as that.

I'm not in their way, there's a whole lane to their left that they can go into, that's what it's there for.

kphoger

Quote from: Crash_It on July 27, 2021, 02:05:48 PM

That's a non-sequitir.

I'm not in their way, there's a whole lane to their left that they can go into, that's what it's there for.

So you were only in the middle lane at those times when other traffic wasn't already taking up the left lane for said held-up traffic to use?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

That's a non-sequitir.

If you're not passing anyone, going the speed limit or otherwise, you should be in the right lane.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

renegade

Quote from: Rothman on July 27, 2021, 06:47:10 PM
He's infecting real threads now.
Careful.  We haven't heard from tolbs today.

Flint1979

I drove the Edens on Friday and Sunday and neither time was anything like cra_shit describes. The traffic was heavy but it was moving along fine. The Dan Ryan and Kennedy weren't bad either. Quit making it as if driving through Chicago is an experience that no one has ever seen before, it's not. I'm from Detroit it's not like you're fooling anyone here.

ran4sh

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 27, 2021, 03:56:46 PM

That's a non-sequitir.

If you're not passing anyone, going the speed limit or otherwise, you should be in the right lane.

This is incorrect. This would imply that if there is a large volume of cars all going a similar speed then they must all use the right lane out of 3. That is, of course, nonsense. The left lane should be available for passing, however any non-left lane such as the center lane should still be used in order to maximize the capacity of the road.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Flint1979

I'd love to see him on the Lodge doing 55 mph in the middle lane. Detroiters would have fun tailgating him and probably would end up just pushing him out of the way.

Crash_It

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 27, 2021, 07:31:25 PM
I drove the Edens on Friday and Sunday and neither time was anything like cra_shit describes. The traffic was heavy but it was moving along fine. The Dan Ryan and Kennedy weren't bad either. Quit making it as if driving through Chicago is an experience that no one has ever seen before, it's not. I'm from Detroit it's not like you're fooling anyone here.

You still don't drive it as often as I do. The merging issue is bad. Bad enough for me to have 3 dedicated videos on the topic and possibly enough footage for two more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OIDJkkKw5s

formulanone

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 27, 2021, 07:51:18 PM
probably would end up just pushing him out of the way.

this is an old wives' tale

Flint1979

Quote from: Crash_It on July 27, 2021, 08:05:38 PM

You still don't drive it as often as I do. The merging issue is bad. Bad enough for me to have 3 dedicated videos on the topic and possibly enough footage for two more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OIDJkkKw5s
I really don't care how often you think I do or don't drive it. I've lived in Chicago before for several years and have a ton of experience driving on the expressways there. It's also not like these things are only in Chicago and so you made a video about it what's that going to solve? And this, "you still don't drive it as often as I do" crap is lame especially when I drive about 5,000 miles a month. I drive nearly 200 miles a day you aren't impressing me.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Crash_It on July 27, 2021, 08:05:38 PM

You still don't drive it as often as I do.

How often do you drive?

JoePCool14

Quote from: ran4sh on July 27, 2021, 07:41:03 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 27, 2021, 03:56:46 PM

That's a non-sequitir.

This is incorrect. This would imply that if there is a large volume of cars all going a similar speed then they must all use the right lane out of 3. That is, of course, nonsense. The left lane should be available for passing, however any non-left lane such as the center lane should still be used in order to maximize the capacity of the road.

Good point. I should say you should be in the right-most lane possible. In other words, if people are passing you on your right, you should move over. If you're going the same speed, and as long as you aren't in the very left lane, technically you're fine. I try to avoid this though on the road. If I find myself going to same speed, I will either speed up to actually pass or back off and slot in behind the driver to my right.

renegade

Flint1979

Quote from: formulanone on July 27, 2021, 08:35:32 PM

It's very true. The Lodge is a freeway where people routinely do over 80 mph and doing 55 in the middle lane is a bad idea. Just for the sake of being truthful the last time I drove on the Lodge my top speed was 103 mph coming around the curve between Linwood and Davison. It's a big boy highway.

sprjus4

Why hasn't Michigan increased the speed limit there up to 70 mph? There's clearly precedent, and it's not like they're shy with high urban limits.

Crash_It

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 28, 2021, 03:12:45 AM
Why hasn't Michigan increased the speed limit there up to 70 mph? There's clearly precedent, and it's not like they're shy with high urban limits.

Where east of the Mississippi is a high urban speed limit? Nowhere, all major cities drop the limits to 55 or lower. Indy, Milwaukee and Columbus are all examples of this.

formulanone

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 27, 2021, 11:41:29 PM

It's very true. The Lodge is a freeway where people routinely do over 80 mph and doing 55 in the middle lane is a bad idea. Just for the sake of being truthful the last time I drove on the Lodge my top speed was 103 mph coming around the curve between Linwood and Davison. It's a big boy highway.

Been there, done that. It's just an overused trope that I'm tired of hearing; literally nobody is getting "run over" or "pushed out of the way" unless somebody ain't paying attention in stopped traffic or a movie is being filmed.

As much as I can advocate that speed enforcement sucks, no experienced driver immediately assumes that they can get away with driving 20 over a posted speed limit until the flow of traffic suggests otherwise. Given that if the leftmost lane is the passing lane, and the rightmost lane routinely travels under the speed limit because of merging cloverleaf traffic, than it's reasonable and understandable that going exactly the speed limit in the middle lane is still tolerable, though less than ideal in some cases. For the record, I'm not a fan of 55 on any free-flowing freeway, unless there's some sort of exceptionally sharp curve or the route is coming to an abrupt end/stop.

Just because you want to ride a bumper at 80 doesn't mean the rest of us always do. Some of us have learned the hard way that just because I wish to go 80 doesn't mean that it's acceptable everywhere. Traffic isn't dictated by the fastest driver, nor should it be decides by the slowest movers, despite what 5-10% of the jackasses on the road want to do.

Flint1979

A few of us on here drive in the Detroit area just about every day. For one experience on a freeway that isn't the normal and that is driving the speed limit. Detroiters don't care what the speed limit is we drive fast and furious and the freeway's are like a race track.

Flint1979

Quote from: formulanone on July 28, 2021, 07:03:37 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 27, 2021, 11:41:29 PM

Been there, done that. It's just an overused trope that I'm tired of hearing; literally nobody is getting "run over" or "pushed out of the way" unless somebody ain't paying attention in stopped traffic or a movie is being filmed.

As much as I can advocate that speed enforcement sucks, no experienced driver immediately assumes that they can get away with driving 20 over a posted speed limit until the flow of traffic suggests otherwise. Given that if the leftmost lane is the passing lane, and the rightmost lane routinely travels under the speed limit because of merging cloverleaf traffic, than it's reasonable and understandable that going exactly the speed limit in the middle lane is still tolerable, though less than ideal in some cases. For the record, I'm not a fan of 55 on any free-flowing freeway, unless there's some sort of exceptionally sharp curve or the route is coming to an abrupt end/stop.

Just because you want to ride a bumper at 80 doesn't mean the rest of us always do. Some of us have learned the hard way that just because I wish to go 80 doesn't mean that it's acceptable everywhere. Traffic isn't dictated by the fastest driver, nor should it be decides by the slowest movers, despite what 5-10% of the jackasses on the road want to do.
It isn't overused at all. Drivers on Detroit freeways do want to go 80 mph it's more the norm than it's not. It's more than 10% of the drivers that are driving 80 mph along a freeway too. MDOT doesn't sign anything higher than 70 in the Detroit area and probably never will. That's just the speed limit that hardly anyone cares about.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.