News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Earliest Red Arrow traffic signals

Started by plain, July 21, 2021, 02:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plain

What are the earliest red arrows you are familiar with? What's the first known one in your area?

I think they might have started in CA. When I was a kid someone donated an older set of encyclopedias to me. I believe it was the 1972 edition ( and it was probably World Book). In the Los Angeles article there was a photo showing a red left turn arrow on Wilshire Blvd near downtown.

I believe Virginia's first ones were either in Norfolk or Newport News. I don't know which was first but I'm certain both cities had them by the end of the 1970's.

Newark born, Richmond bred

ran4sh

I think CA is the first place I've seen them as well. Although it would have been in person rather than in an encyclopedia
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

plain

I met a dude from Elizabeth earlier and he said that NJ had Red Arrows before NY. Both places had them for a long time. Can someone help me out with this?

plain

Quote from: ran4sh on July 21, 2021, 03:15:55 PM
I think CA is the first place I've seen them as well. Although it would have been in person rather than in an encyclopedia

Thanks!! I still think CA were the first.

thenetwork

I want to say that the first time I saw red-arrow signals was in Delaware in 1984.

Rick1962

Pittsburgh, early '90s (an eight-inch, no less).

SM-T580

plain

Quote from: Rick1962 on October 10, 2021, 08:01:40 PM
Pittsburgh, early '90s (an eight-inch, no less).

SM-T580

That is definitely interesting. I don't think I've seen an 8-inch red arrow before (I've seen plenty of yellow and green ones though)

Mr Kite

In the UK, we're still waiting for ours.

jakeroot

Quote from: Mr Kite on October 12, 2021, 10:41:51 AM
In the UK, we're still waiting for ours.

Quite a lot of Canada doesn't use them either. Only Quebec, if I recall correctly.

KCRoadFan

The first one I remember seeing was in Paducah, KY, sometime in 1997 or "˜98. We lived in Florida at the time. (Then again, I was only born in 1993.)

DrSmith

The first one I saw was probably 90 or 91 on the Black Horse Pike and Ganttown Rd in Turnersville, NJ.
When the shopping plaza was built, the intersection was widened and movements were added for the plaza as it was a field before.
Originally, the overhead left turn signals were 3M's and the pole mounts had the red arrows only.
That was a change from the prior tradition of using and 8-8-12 left turn signal pole mounted to the side.

https://goo.gl/maps/X5pzzLWQKNySyen16

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.