News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Talking Crosswalks

Started by roadman65, September 15, 2021, 11:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on September 19, 2021, 05:04:43 PM
Quote from: jay8g on September 19, 2021, 03:19:20 AM
The fact that these are intended to be used even on non-actuated signals caused a lot of stupid controversy around here a few years back, when Seattle started installing these in pedestrian-heavy areas where the signals are always on recall. Pedestrian activists apparently think it's below them to have to push a button :rolleyes:, and thought that the new APS PPBs were being installed because the signals were going to be actuated. So there was a whole big controversy, when they were really just being installed to help blind people (and be ADA compliant). I suspect this isn't just a Seattle thing, since the proposed MUTCD includes a sign for PPBs to say that they're only there for accessibility features -- seems silly that we need something like that, but whatever.

I remember when that happened. I can understand the confusion since PPBs have always been relegated to actuated signals, but the additional ADA tools have made it such that those PPBs need to be used everywhere. Tacoma has started installing them in some timed regions. It is pretty funny to watch people hit them repeatedly when I know they are timed (at least once I leaned over and to let someone know, and they just shrugged since they were taught to hit them).

It is disappointing that there is no alternative design for timed intersections, but it doesn't seem like there would be much of any advantage to such an alternative design. After all, if you design for all situations, it works for everyone, even if it invites unnecessary touching.

Cities near me use a "Push for audible signal" sign for APS buttons. I find it perfect, (and of course I click the button anyways hah)
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on November 18, 2021, 08:54:43 PM
It is disappointing that there is no alternative design for timed intersections, but it doesn't seem like there would be much of any advantage to such an alternative design. After all, if you design for all situations, it works for everyone, even if it invites unnecessary touching.

Cities near me use a "Push for audible signal" sign for APS buttons. I find it perfect, (and of course I click the button anyways hah)

I assume the message is also written in braille? :-D

Mr Kite

The Aussies have the best crosswalk sound, now loved by normies thanks to that Billie Eillish song.

Flint1979

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 16, 2021, 06:20:20 PM
They exist now in La Porte, and I like them a lot!
Really? I've never seen one there but I'll take your word for it since I haven't been to La Porte in awhile.

Flint1979

MDOT just installed new traffic lights and crosswalk signals at two intersections on M-58 near me, one at Hemmeter and one at Center. I'll have to see if they talk to you. The light at Center started working last Wednesday and the one at Hemmeter started working the following day.

jakeroot

Quote from: Mr Kite on November 21, 2021, 05:52:22 AM
The Aussies have the best crosswalk sound, now loved by normies thanks to that Billie Eillish song.

I still prefer the British sound:

https://youtu.be/8QhHSl-bdpU

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on November 20, 2021, 03:52:38 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on November 18, 2021, 08:54:43 PM

I assume the message is also written in braille? :-D

Some are but most are not lol
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jamess

I was just in Dallas and they speak with a local accent and are clearly recorded by a human. I thought that was interesting. Id only ever heard what I assume is the factory-installed default text-to-voice computer

index

Quote from: index on September 16, 2021, 09:24:38 PM
I've only ever saw these in British Columbia. We have nothing of the sort here.
Although the AppalCART buses have something similar in regards to accessibility.
Actually, I stand corrected. I just walked there recently and found out that State Farm and Furman has a set of accessible crosswalks, but as far as I know that's the only place in Boone that has them.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.