What's this device called?

Started by hbelkins, September 17, 2021, 09:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

2021 Western road trip Day 4 - 043 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

What is the official name of this pedestrian crossing signal? And wasn't there some sort of controversy about this type of device recently, where it was deleted but later restored to the MUTCD?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

RRFB (rectangular rapid flashing beacon)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on September 17, 2021, 09:44:56 AM
RRFB (rectangular rapid flashing beacon)
I never can remember what the "r" stands for that doesn't stand for "rapid." :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

As mentioned, they're RRFBs.  And yes, there was controversy due to a patent over the flash pattern.  This was resolved by changing to a more conventional flash pattern.

It hasn't yet made it to the full MUTCD... it had an interim approval (revoked and later restored due to said controversy) and is set to be fully incorporated with the 2020 MUTCD.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on September 17, 2021, 12:40:03 PM
As mentioned, they're RRFBs.  And yes, there was controversy due to a patent over the flash pattern.  This was resolved by changing to a more conventional flash pattern.

It hasn't yet made it to the full MUTCD... it had an interim approval (revoked and later restored due to said controversy) and is set to be fully incorporated with the 2020 MUTCD.

Yep. I had forgotten what the dispute was over. They're popular in Montana. The photo I posted was from there, and I actually used one when I crossed the street at West Glacier.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SkyPesos

There's a similar type near where I live, but instead of a rectangular bar with flashing lights (those exist here too though), the lights are embedded into the edges of the sign. Also, the lights are triggered by a sensor instead of a button.

Bruce

I thought they were common in cities across the country? They certainly are widespread in the Northwest, even in small towns.

Rothman

Quote from: Bruce on September 17, 2021, 02:18:12 PM
I thought they were common in cities across the country? They certainly are widespread in the Northwest, even in small towns.
They are in NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

snowc

Quote from: Bruce on September 17, 2021, 02:18:12 PM

They are also here in the creek!

jeffandnicole

They appear to be the preferred option in NJ as well. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.