AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Which describes you?

I have been to/through Limon, CO and I think it's fine as a primary control city.
- 28 (52.8%)
I have NOT been to/through Limon, CO and I think it's fine as a primary control city.
- 6 (11.3%)
I have been to/through Limon, CO and I don't think it should be used as a primary control city.
- 8 (15.1%)
I have NOT been to/through Limon, CO and I don't think it should be used as a primary control city.
- 11 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Limon  (Read 4812 times)

Flint1979

• Last Login: Today at 06:43:56 AM
Re: Limon
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2021, 12:06:28 PM »

Problem solved. Don't you dare use it westbound unless it's with Denver. Eastbound is fine as there is nothing out there in the plains.

But Limon makes more sense as a westbound control city. That's where WB traffic peels away on US 24 from I-70 for Colorado Springs, which is a major Colorado metro area (city population about half a million) even if not as much as Denver. My own travels west on I-70 usually take me to Colorado Springs or other southern Colorado destinations, rather than Denver. Seeing Limon on a BGS reassures Colorado Springs-bound WB travelers, after the intense boredom of western Kansas and far eastern Colorado, that they haven't missed their turn from I-70.
Thatís like saying Findlay should be signed as a primary control city in Toledo over Dayton on I-75 SB because OH 15 breaks off here for traffic heading towards Columbus.
ODOT doesn't use a control city at all for exit 156 going southbound but exit 157 which is OH-12 has Columbus Grove as a control city. Northbound the control city is Carey which is a small town where US-23 and OH-15 intersect. If you are coming from downtown Toledo it wouldn't be much more time to just jump on I-280 to OH-420 to US-20/23 to US-23 to Fostoria. I'd jump off at that point though and take OH-18 to OH-587 to OH-53 back to US-23 north of Upper Sandusky, saves you a few miles and minutes to do that. I'm a master at shortcutting and shunpiking.

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 02:40:41 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2021, 12:44:18 PM »

As I said before in the other thread, I think people need to actually visit this area, or at least spend a good amount of time trolling around on Google Maps, before forming an opinion on it. This is an area where it's an hour's drive between McDonald'ses.

Looking at it on a map, it is very easy to see the towns along the route and make assumptions that they're like towns in other states where there's likely to be a gas station or fast food joint or something. They aren't. I went through Grinnell because it was the cheapest way to grab Sherman County (and I got to clinch a K-route for the trouble), and it's basically a big honking grain elevator, a grade school, some houses, and pretty much nothing else.

Limon/Kansas City or Limon/Kansas

Problem solved. Don't you dare use it westbound unless it's with Denver. Eastbound is fine as there is nothing out there in the plains.

What's your justification for skipping over a state capital with 126,000 people in there?

• Last Login: Today at 01:14:23 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2021, 12:51:14 PM »

This is an area where it's an hour's drive between McDonald'ses.

Can't find it on a forum search or even a site:aaroads Google search, but I remember someone saying that on the Northway, you can easily find a local sub/pizza place or a Dunkin, but McDonalds and their competitors are spaced farther apart. How far is it between any restaurants, even local ones?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US ⒔50
MA ⒐2⒉40.9⒐10⒎10⒐1⒒1⒘1⒚14⒈159
NH 27,38,111A(E); CA133; NY366; GA 42,140; FL A1A; CT32; VT 5A; QC 16⒉16⒌263

Flickr: Click the globe under my avatar

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 02:40:41 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2021, 01:06:03 PM »

Can't find it on a forum search or even a site:aaroads Google search, but I remember someone saying that on the Northway, you can easily find a local sub/pizza place or a Dunkin, but McDonalds and their competitors are spaced farther apart. How far is it between any restaurants, even local ones?

It looks like some of the towns do have local restaurants. Quinter, for example, has the Center Pivot Restaurant & Brewery (if that's not a High Plains restaurant name I don't know what is), Melanie's Kitchen Asian Cuisine, and Farm House Cooking & Catering (which seems to correspond to a metal garage building, so it may just be a crank entry). However, all three of those are shown as closed today, probably because it's Sunday, so the whole town of Quinter would be of no help to someone passing through today. Also, none of these restaurants have paid for a blue service sign, so you just have to see them on Google Maps (which isn't much of an option if you're driving alone), or spend the time to get off and drive around town, to know they're there.

SkyPesos

• Last Login: Today at 01:10:02 PM
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2021, 01:09:46 PM »

Kind of wondering, does South Dakota list Pierre as a control city on I-90 between Rapid City and Sioux Falls? I know itís a bit out of the way from I-90, but 1) itís a capital, and 2) only sizable city between Rapid City and Sioux Falls (unlike I-70 and Jeff City, where thereís Columbia nearby).
My Fictional Highways

Fundamental Theorem of AARoads - Let "y" represent the elevation above sea level in a certain area. If "Δy" between the highest and lowest values of y equals to 0, it's Illinois.

Roadgeekteen

• Interstates everywhere to everything

• Last Login: May 12, 2022, 05:12:28 PM
    • old interstate plans
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2021, 01:13:27 PM »

As I said before in the other thread, I think people need to actually visit this area, or at least spend a good amount of time trolling around on Google Maps, before forming an opinion on it. This is an area where it's an hour's drive between McDonald'ses.

Looking at it on a map, it is very easy to see the towns along the route and make assumptions that they're like towns in other states where there's likely to be a gas station or fast food joint or something. They aren't. I went through Grinnell because it was the cheapest way to grab Sherman County (and I got to clinch a K-route for the trouble), and it's basically a big honking grain elevator, a grade school, some houses, and pretty much nothing else.

Limon/Kansas City or Limon/Kansas

What's your justification for skipping over a state capital with 126,000 people in there?
Eh Topeka could work to
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1SRJ5PPfTJp9aHxzFUw4IZdk5Racc8bhp&ll=41.78177440649835%2C-74.47910573821878&z=7

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 12:14:17 PM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2021, 06:01:04 PM »

Funny you mention this. The first time I ever went to this area I was driving up from Amarillo to Limon. I'm from the west, so I'm used to the wide open, empty expanses and huge distances between towns - and even I was struck that there was no McDonalds in the 140-mile, 2.5-hour stretch between Dalhart and Lamar.

Flint1979

• Last Login: Today at 06:43:56 AM
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2021, 06:17:03 PM »

I'm down to make Goodland the next control city on EB I-70 after Limon. Just give it a city close to the border. Actually Goodland has more to offer than Limon and I have been trolling Google Maps around this area looking at the area and Limon is a good choice for a control city actually and I support Goodland too.

Great Lakes Roads

• Ain't nobody got time for that!!

• Last Login: Today at 03:51:35 AM
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2021, 06:30:42 PM »

Kind of wondering, does South Dakota list Pierre as a control city on I-90 between Rapid City and Sioux Falls? I know itís a bit out of the way from I-90, but 1) itís a capital, and 2) only sizable city between Rapid City and Sioux Falls (unlike I-70 and Jeff City, where thereís Columbia nearby).

To answer that question, no, South Dakota doesn't list Pierre as a control city on I-90 because it's too far away from the interstate. They go for Rapid City WB and Sioux Falls EB as control cities.

Funny you mention this. The first time I ever went to this area I was driving up from Amarillo to Limon. I'm from the west, so I'm used to the wide open, empty expanses and huge distances between towns - and even I was struck that there was no McDonalds in the 140-mile, 2.5-hour stretch between Dalhart and Lamar.

There's a long stretch in South Dakota without a McDonald's insight. From Rapid City heading EB, the next one is in Chamberlain, a 203 miles (2 hrs 45 mins) drive.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 01:16:39 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2021, 06:52:23 PM »

Topeka makes perfect sense as a control city. It has a 3DI bypass and is also a major intersection of I-70 and the Kansas Turnpike.

As for signing other state capitals, Frankfort is an afterthought on I-64 in Kentucky. It's listed in Lexington only because the signs at the I-64/I-75 interchanges list not only the control city, but the next local destination (Frankfort, Georgetown, Winchester, Richmond) while there's scant mention of Frankfort in Louisville, and really none on I-64 eastbound until you get past Shelbyville.

I identify as vaccinated.

JayhawkCO

• Last Login: Today at 10:31:32 AM
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2021, 06:52:30 PM »

I'm down to make Goodland the next control city on EB I-70 after Limon. Just give it a city close to the border. Actually Goodland has more to offer than Limon and I have been trolling Google Maps around this area looking at the area and Limon is a good choice for a control city actually and I support Goodland too.

I'll take Colby in both directions.

zachary_amaryllis

• Just another guy who likes highway stuff.

• Last Login: Today at 09:33:36 AM
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2021, 03:35:49 AM »

I'll take Colby in both directions.

maybe this is something that's been mentioned before somewhere but i'm too lazy to look it up. but.....

... why not have 2 control cities -- a local (er) smallish one, and a bigger one. eb out of denver it could be limon -- goodland (or something), eb from kansas it could be limon - denver.

lol this is probably the most attention limon, co ever got
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.