News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Reno-area roads and signs from various locations

Started by M3100, November 26, 2021, 08:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3100

Here are a few pics from last weekend (11/19/21 and 11/20/21):

1. NV653, Plumb Lane, connects the Reno-Tahoe Airport to Kietzke Lane (NV 667).

2. NV667, Kietzke Lane, has this 'post mile' on a traffic light pole.

(I am used to a 'lane' being a minor street or even a cul-de-sac.  In Reno these 'lanes' are major arterial streets).

3. Approaching the southern end of NV 445, Pyramid Way, which also leads to I-80.  I did not notice these signs until I was right next to them.

4 and 5. A couple from US 395 Business, Virginia St.  The Arch looks better all lit up.

6. NV 877 is a 4+ mile loop road off of Alt US 395 (which is the original US 395).  NV 877 passes by large fenced/gated properties, a remnant of pine forest, and a park. The postmiles were clearly marked, like this one.

7. This is the onramp to US 395/I-580 from NV 431.

SSR_317

Yes, Reno is "infamous" for its overuse of the street suffix "Lane". Guess they've wanted to keep that "small town" feel in what is now a mid-major metropolitan area!

Alps

Piscataway NJ has a number of major thoroughfares that are Lanes.

SkyPesos

This gotta be one of the most pretentious suffix for a road I've seen (and I think there's a recent thread on this too). Seems worse than calling 6 lane stroads a "street" .

Alps

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 27, 2021, 01:02:58 AM
This gotta be one of the most pretentious suffix for a road I've seen (and I think there's a recent thread on this too). Seems worse than calling 6 lane stroads a "street" .
At least in NJ's case, they were former country lanes gradually upgraded into thoroughfares. I imagine those in Reno area are new growth.

formulanone

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 27, 2021, 01:02:58 AM

You keep using that word, as if they possibly couldn't have started out as two-lane (or effectively single-lane) paths many decades ago.

If there's no sidewalk, then call it a "stroad".

SkyPesos

Quote from: SSR_317 on November 26, 2021, 09:40:17 PM
Yes, Reno is "infamous" for its overuse of the street suffix "Lane". Guess they've wanted to keep that "small town" feel in what is now a mid-major metropolitan area!
They're getting a ton of Bay Area refugees now, both households and tech companies. That's saying something about it's growth!

Quote from: formulanone on November 27, 2021, 06:26:09 PM
That's not what defines a stroad, but ok...

formulanone

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 27, 2021, 07:36:38 PM

Sure, whatever some anti-car chap with a Youtube channel wants to call it this week, then?

SkyPesos

Quote from: formulanone on November 28, 2021, 11:52:01 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on November 27, 2021, 07:36:38 PM

Sure, whatever some anti-car chap with a Youtube channel wants to call it this week, then?
More like anti-bad design than anti-car. Basically, multilane arterial roads with too many direct access points to driveways and parking lots are considered as "stroads" , which negatively affects through traffic flow. A center turn lane is a common feature for stroads.

Alps

A street is a road and btw this is off topic so please don't stray further thx

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.