News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Distance signs with cities in 3+ states

Started by Scott5114, November 27, 2021, 09:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Here's a mileage sign in Colorado showing distances to Campo CO, Boise City OK, and Dumas TX.
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3809039,-102.6153513,3a,39.3y,192.52h,85.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCQj9kS2JCksNABoe0GxjAg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

And of course there's the sign at the beginning of I-70 in Baltimore that lists Columbus OH, St Louis MO, Denver CO, and Cove Fort UT.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3070076,-76.7710657,3a,21.3y,241.18h,95.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sS1Q40lwdOkDA3NtVXcEvLw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

How many other instances of mileage signs are there listing cities in 3 or more different states?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Revive 755

To save others the time on checking:  Not seeing any on I-24 in Illinois - could have some if IDOT switches to using Vienna and/or Metropolis over US 45 for the first line (with Paducah, KY and Nashville, TN being the other two lines).

TheHighwayMan3561

Ohio has those signs on I-75 with Tampa and Atlanta on them, which I assume will qualify.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

Not mentioned yet:

NB I-81 north of Winchester, VA

NB I-95 near North East, MD (uses route interchange for one destination...may or may not meet OP's criteria)

SkyPesos

On I-80 just east of the OH 11/711 interchange in Youngstown:
- Hubbard (OH)
- I-79 (PA)
- New York City (NY)

Bonus points to this one for skipping a state in between (NJ).

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 27, 2021, 11:34:34 PM
- Hubbard (OH)
- I-79 (PA)
- New York City (NY)

Not to be anal but I-79 isn't a city
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

epzik8

- Hubbard (OH)
- I-79 (PA)
- New York City (NY)

I remember someone posting that Ohio gets it right by posting NYC as the control city eastbound on I-80 from Cleveland to the Pennsylvania line, before you're bombarded with smaller control cities in Pennsylvania.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

SkyPesos

Quote from: epzik8 on November 28, 2021, 07:30:00 PM
- Hubbard (OH)
- I-79 (PA)
- New York City (NY)

I remember someone posting that Ohio gets it right by posting NYC as the control city eastbound on I-80 from Cleveland to the Pennsylvania line, before you're bombarded with smaller control cities in Pennsylvania.
That might've been me saying that. NYC on I-80 EB east of Youngstown in Ohio is my favorite control city in the state.

My first thought when reading this thread is to try to find a sign on I-80 in Youngstown with NYC on the bottom, and in a location where an Ohio city would be on the top (so not too close to the PA border), and a Pennsylvania city in the middle (so not too far west of Youngstown). The one I linked is the only one with NYC on the bottom that satisfies those conditions. For some reason, ODOT doesn't list any PA cities on I-80, instead opting to use "I-376" and I-79" on distance signs.

US 89

The first possibility that came to mind was I-15 through the Nevada-Arizona-Utah border area, but looking at GSV it looks like Littlefield is too small to mention if you're south of Mesquite or north of St George.

Then I got all excited when I found one on US 287/385 in Springfield CO... until I realized it was the OP. You'd think the Oklahoma panhandle would be good for finding stuff like this, but Texas seems to not like putting more than 2 cities on its mileage signs out there.

Scott5114

I'm looking to see if I can find any in Kansas that have Kansas-Oklahoma-Texas, since Kansas tends to be more a fan of 3-line mileage signs. So far, nothing, but I did find an Oklahoma state line sign that was clearly installed by KDOT (ODOT never uses wooden posts, nor "STATE/COUNTY LINE" verbiage).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ilpt4u

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 27, 2021, 10:58:29 PM
To save others the time on checking:  Not seeing any on I-24 in Illinois - could have some if IDOT switches to using Vienna and/or Metropolis over US 45 for the first line (with Paducah, KY and Nashville, TN being the other two lines).
Brookport would make more sense than Vienna, if IDOT were doing to switch the Controls on those southern Mileage signs

I could have sworn there was one that has Metropolis/Paducah/Nashville listed, but didn't see one on GSV. It may just be a "mental"  thing, where I saw US 45 driving and instantly connected the dots that is where Metropolis is

Couldn't find one on the Southern end of I-57 that gets me Cairo/Sikeston/Memphis on the same sign. Heck, I don't think there is a single mileage sign in IL with Sikeston mileage on it (Sikeston is used as the SB control at the Cairo/US 51/IL 3 exit)

Also checked I-255 SB in the Metro East...There is the goofy sign before crossing the Mississippi on the Jefferson Barracks Bridge that lists both Memphis and Tulsa, but since the last exit in IL has already been passed, there are only those 2 cities on the sign. Again, I thought there was another one somewhere south of I-55/70 but north of Columbia, but did not see it on GSV

At least in the Southern part of the state of IL, those are the 3 that would have a chance to have cities from 3 different states on a single destination sign, but no dice

Kinda cheating for I-64 EB: Belle Rive, IL; Evansville, IN; Louisville, KY. Cheating, because the first is signed "Belle Rive EXIT"
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2719452,-88.8812692,3a,75y,129.19h,86.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKH7l1Nspx2BeYyNaoQCWJw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

gonealookin

Southbound US 95 in Homedale, ID:  Marsing ID, Jordan Valley OR and Winnemucca NV.

I couldn't find an equivalent one in Nevada.

PurdueBill

On US 30 WB just past Delphos, Ohio there used to be a sign for Van Wert, Ohio; Fort Wayne, Indiana; and Chicago.  It was removed for whatever reason around 2016.  I got a photo of it back around 2010 fortunately, but street view from back in the day has it (https://goo.gl/maps/L8hhmbTjr7Mc2aMb9).  It was kinda neat having the Chicago mention in Ohio while not on the Turnpike, but oh well.

US 89

I spent a good while looking around the Utah-Idaho-Wyoming border region, as there are a number of highways that might make potential candidates, but couldn't find any up there. The best chance is probably if there's a mileage sign somewhere on eastbound US 89 through Logan Canyon, where you could maybe get something like Garden City UT-Montpelier ID-Jackson WY.

Better success on Utah 30 westbound from Snowville, with a mileage sign for Malta ID, Park Valley UT, and Elko NV. Turns out I actually have a photo from when I drove it 2 years ago:

SkyPesos

Attempted to find an Alabama-Georgia-Tennessee trio sign on NB I-59 in the northeastern corner of Alabama, but turns out that AL only signs one city on distance signs sometimes...

Also, this is a disappointment on I-24 in KY. Was really hoping for a Kentucky-Illinois-Missouri trio here, but nope, only Paducah and St Louis.

US 89

Here's one on I-10 for Bowie AZ, Lordsburg NM, and El Paso TX:

https://goo.gl/maps/5aLkJKLCkibwusJN6

And another one close by, but with San Simon AZ instead of Bowie:

https://goo.gl/maps/LHyMaSXPtjP8qUX39

hbelkins

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 29, 2021, 12:21:12 AM
Also, this is a disappointment on I-24 in KY. Was really hoping for a Kentucky-Illinois-Missouri trio here, but nope, only Paducah and St Louis.

In that general vicinity, at one time there used to be a sign on eastbound US 60/62 after 60 splits from I-57, listing mileages to destinations in Missouri, Illinois, and Kentucky. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of it. I thought I had grabbed a photo 20 years ago but don't see it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bing101

US-50 Sacramento has distant signs with 3 states.

Placerville, CA
South Lake Tahoe CA, NV
Ocean City, MD

mukade

Quote from: froggie on November 27, 2021, 11:20:35 PM
Not mentioned yet:

NB I-81 north of Winchester, VA

NB I-95 near North East, MD (uses route interchange for one destination...may or may not meet OP's criteria)

In addition to the Winchester sign on I-81, there is this one a bit further south in VA:

I-81 in Middletown, VA  (VA, WV, MD)

And this further north in WV:

I-81 in Martinsburg (WV, MD, PA)

ilpt4u

Quote from: bing101 on November 29, 2021, 11:51:46 AM

Placerville, CA
South Lake Tahoe CA, NV
Ocean City, MD

Would anyone, other than a road geek, take US 50 between Sacramento and Ocean City?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ilpt4u on November 29, 2021, 12:38:44 PM

Placerville, CA
South Lake Tahoe CA, NV
Ocean City, MD

Would anyone, other than a road geek, take US 50 between Sacramento and Ocean City?
They lost a bet
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hbelkins

Quote from: ilpt4u on November 29, 2021, 12:38:44 PM

Placerville, CA
South Lake Tahoe CA, NV
Ocean City, MD

Back in 1997, Time Magazine did just that.

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/0,9263,7601970707,00.html

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 89

I hate to ruin the fun here, but South Lake Tahoe is definitely not in Nevada.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.