signs that point out the glaringly obvious

Started by zachary_amaryllis, December 24, 2021, 10:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: J3ebrules on December 26, 2021, 01:04:17 AM
Not sure if it's a recent phenomenon, given that New Jersey has had signs for decades that remind you to obey the laws when leaving the Turnpike. Yes, I'll obey local speed laws (or not) regardless of what road I'm coming from.

i haven't been om the turnpike since i was very young, but i seem to recall they were in lowercase. can't fault them for that  :bigass:
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

hbelkins

Quote from: DenverBrian on December 26, 2021, 09:57:36 AM
Quote from: GaryV on December 26, 2021, 08:44:27 AM
Quote from: formulanone on December 25, 2021, 08:52:41 PM
"Water on Pavement in Heavy Rains" ...a staple of Southern Illinois:
Perhaps alerting drivers to potential flooding?  I'm guessing this sign means more than, "The road might be wet if it's raining."
Then "Road Subject to Flooding" would be less duh.

This type of sign isn't intended to alert drivers to possible flooding. It's to make them aware of possible ponding of water or standing water, and the associated hydroplaning risks, as someone else noted upthread. Kentucky uses "Water Possible In Road" or "... On Road" sometimes to warn of this. That is the type of hazard that can occur even if there is only a light rain and not flooding rain.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

J3ebrules

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on December 26, 2021, 03:50:24 PM
Not sure if it's a recent phenomenon, given that New Jersey has had signs for decades that remind you to obey the laws when leaving the Turnpike. Yes, I'll obey local speed laws (or not) regardless of what road I'm coming from.

i haven't been om the turnpike since i was very young, but i seem to recall they were in lowercase. can't fault them for that  :bigass:

Yes! I remember several variations, but this is one of the older ones still extant (I believe), courtesy of alpsroads.net:

Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: J3ebrules on December 30, 2021, 04:07:56 PM

Yes! I remember several variations, but this is one of the older ones still extant (I believe), courtesy of alpsroads.net:

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

JoePCool14

STOP signs.  :bigass:

Okay, okay. Maybe that's too obvious. Maybe a better example is adding a lane ends sign shortly after a lane merge sign (note: not a lane ADD sign) if there is a short acceleration lane.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

tolbs17

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on January 01, 2022, 03:12:52 PM

I remember seeing those. Do they still make those?

US20IL64

Some people still do not understand not to sit and idle in RR crossings! There was an train accident one time that hit a few cars [luckily at slow speed] Drivers were using excuse, "but I couldn't move". Then why did you enter the RR crossing in the first place, when there is no room on other side!  :pan:

J3ebrules

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 01, 2022, 05:36:21 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on January 01, 2022, 03:12:52 PM

I remember seeing those. Do they still make those?

I don't believe so. I haven't been at all the exits - at least not recently - but I can't think of any newer-looking signs that talk about obeying local speed laws. I think they're all 60's/70's holdovers.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.