News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois Eclipse Traffic Warning - 2024

Started by edwaleni, March 23, 2024, 06:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

IDOT is providing notifications to various transporation modes about the upcoming eclipse on April 8th.

Traffic problems are expected on I-57 north of Marion near Johnston City, on I-64 at the exit with US-45 near Burnt Prairie, US-50 at IL-1 in Lawrenceville.

It is not the sudden transition into darkness that they are warning of, its people making sudden stops along the highways in the path to watch.

Many people are expected to perch on overpasses, but the majority will attempt to pull over onto the interstate shoulder, which will likely cause traffic backups.

JREwing78

I'm purposely trying to avoid major highways and larger populated areas. Also avoiding cloud cover, which will be quite the challenge.

Good news is that I can drive to anywhere from SE Missouri to NE Ohio without getting a hotel the night before. Bad news is that I won't know until the day of where it's not going to be cloudy or overcast.

SM-G991U

ilpt4u

Don't have to go anywhere...Eclipse is coming to me (again)!

JoePCool14

Funnily enough, there's a chance I may be literally out and standing on an Interstate in Illinois during the eclipse inspecting pavement for work! Though it won't be in the path of totality.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

ran4sh

After the 2017 eclipse I made it a priority to see the 2024 eclipse as well... But doing so would have required me to miss at least 1 day of work, plus, after seeing the traffic issues from 2017 (most of the congestion occurred after the eclipse was over and everyone was trying to go home from their viewing locations), I'm not sure I want to deal with it this time. But I do have eclipse glasses and will take a break from work to view the partial eclipse from my area.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

triplemultiplex

Quote from: ran4sh on March 27, 2024, 07:32:16 AMAfter the 2017 eclipse I made it a priority to see the 2024 eclipse as well... But doing so would have required me to miss at least 1 day of work, plus, after seeing the traffic issues from 2017 (most of the congestion occurred after the eclipse was over and everyone was trying to go home from their viewing locations), I'm not sure I want to deal with it this time. But I do have eclipse glasses and will take a break from work to view the partial eclipse from my area.

Yeah I would endorse a strategy of camping out (maybe literally  :-P  ) in the path of totality such that you don't have to leave until the next morning if you can swing it.

If you're going to a rural area for this, expect your phone to not have data or extremely slow data.  The towers will likely be overwhelmed with everyone trying to send pics and look at Google Maps and stuff.  The system isn't designed for a hundred thousand extra people using mobile devices at some random place between cities along the interstate.  So bring your paper maps! :)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Rothman

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 27, 2024, 12:25:59 PM
Quote from: ran4sh on March 27, 2024, 07:32:16 AMAfter the 2017 eclipse I made it a priority to see the 2024 eclipse as well... But doing so would have required me to miss at least 1 day of work, plus, after seeing the traffic issues from 2017 (most of the congestion occurred after the eclipse was over and everyone was trying to go home from their viewing locations), I'm not sure I want to deal with it this time. But I do have eclipse glasses and will take a break from work to view the partial eclipse from my area.

Yeah I would endorse a strategy of camping out (maybe literally  :-P  ) in the path of totality such that you don't have to leave until the next morning if you can swing it.

If you're going to a rural area for this, expect your phone to not have data or extremely slow data.  The towers will likely be overwhelmed with everyone trying to send pics and look at Google Maps and stuff.  The system isn't designed for a hundred thousand extra people using mobile devices at some random place between cities along the interstate.  So bring your paper maps! :)

Meh.  That seems overkill, given my experience with the last eclipse.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Kentucky's issuing travel advisories as well, mainly for choke points such as the US 41, I-65, and I-75 Ohio River bridges.

I'm guessing that my route north to Indiana to view the eclipse will involve the Milton-Madison Bridge (US 421), since I'm going to go with my brother, and I don't expect a lot of traffic on that particular route.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SSOWorld

On that note LED Billboards in Dubuque are showing a countdown to the solar eclipse every other page.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

edwaleni

https://www.newsweek.com/solar-eclipse-traffic-collisions-danger-warning-1883715

Seems the data says accidents are more likely during eclipse events.

edwaleni

SSOWorld

Drivers crammed a couple rest areas on I-10 east of Kerrville, then it overflowed into open areas connected to the highway which prompted law enforcement action to clear them.  I feel sorry for truck drivers trying to get out and having to navigate all the gawkers.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

webny99

Rest areas seem like an odd place to plan to watch an eclipse, but they do provide the ultimate getaway plan once totality is over. Even in areas with good freeway access, congestion on surface streets can waste time quickly as everyone crowds towards freeway access points. Doesn't get much easier than being at one already.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.